Top Shelf Aquatics

Kenny's 28g Nano Cube CF-Quad adventure!

kennycs1292

kennycs1292

Hey Nano-reef! I recently purchased the 28g Nano cube cf-quad from drsfosterandsmith (with a free stand :D ) and a whole bunch of other goodies. I currently have it all set up, tank, stand, saltwater mixed, rock, sand, and all that jazz. Its only day 2 and im obsessed haha!

Current Stock:

28g Nano Cube cf-quad

Jager 100w heater

Korlia Nano

Maxi-jet 1200 x2 (stock pumps are so weak)

Protein Skimmer for the 28g Nano Cube

API Test kits

30lbs fiji live rock

About 30 lbs live sand

(probably forgetting some stuff)

Future stocking ideas:

CUC (mostly snails)

Ocellaris Clown

Goby of some sort

Green Mandarin Dragonet (once tank is mature, with refugium)

Ricordia, zoas, lots and lots of acans, chalice, blastos, and any other nice LPS that strike my eye

post-51172-1268516352_thumb.jpg

post-51172-1268516367_thumb.jpg

post-51172-1268516386_thumb.jpg

post-51172-1268516435_thumb.jpg

post-51172-1268516565_thumb.jpg

very very cloudy...will take more pics when it clears up and i re-do the scape a little bit.

please, enjoy! :)

-kenny

post-51172-1268516550_thumb.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good luck with the tank... if you decide to run both pumps at once, you are better off with 150-200gph pumps and getting an mp10 or something inside the main part of the tank.

kennycs1292

i would get the vortech, but id rather wait a little bit on spending $$$ for the vortech when i just spent $$$$$$$ on everything else :P

kennycs1292
Nothing like that new tank smell..so to speak :)

hahaha oh yes :)

i am waiting ever so patiently for the water to clear up so i can see what im doing better when i rescape a little bit. Any ideas on how long it will take to clear up? its been about a day >.< im hoping it is clear by tomorrow

Yeah give it some time. Put some floss in to catch some of the stuff floating around. Remember to change it LOL Looks Great so far From what I can see little foggy giggle

kennycs1292

i just took a flashlight to the tank, and other than the very few tiny bugs i see scurrying on the rocks (im guessing copepods) i saw a tiny snail, and other little things. Im amazed how these things can survive in freshly mixed not even 2 day old saltwater.

kennycs1292

Here are some pictures of the currect rockscape. Tell me what you think, suggestions, criticisms, or compliments. I do want to keep the cove looking scape though.

post-51172-1268611856_thumb.jpg

FTS

post-51172-1268611876_thumb.jpg

Angled pic

post-51172-1268611762_thumb.jpg

Right side

post-51172-1268611801_thumb.jpg

Left side

enjoy :)

-kenny

Looks good. I like it. I see you left plenty of room on the sides to clean the glass thats good. That was a Noob mistake I made. Oh and yes wimby is right you most likely will change it. That is the way it goes.:-)

kennycs1292

i wanted to keep it all nice and open for future fish, there is also a whole system of caves and holes in the rock work.

one problem, every once in a while, each of my power heads shoots out micro bubbles, they are fully under the water, 4 or 5 inches of water above them, i have shook them a little bit under the water to try and get any trapped air out but it still happens. The only way i cam minimize the bubbles is if i turn on the wave maker in increments of 10 seconds per powerhead, if either of them are going any longer, they shoot out micro bubbles....any idea on how to fix this? i would rather not use the wave maker if i dont have to

and also, does anyone have any idea on how long it takes for ammonia to start spiking?.its only been about 3 days, but i was just wondering :happy:

littlelacho

one problem, every once in a while, each of my power heads shoots out micro bubbles, they are fully under the water, 4 or 5 inches of water above them, i have shook them a little bit under the water to try and get any trapped air out but it still happens. The only way i cam minimize the bubbles is if i turn on the wave maker in increments of 10 seconds per powerhead, if either of them are going any longer, they shoot out micro bubbles....any idea on how to fix this? i would rather not use the wave maker if i dont have to

Hey, Kenny...I had the same problem with my NC when I was doing my leak test last week. I had the water in there for about a week because I wasn't doing my startup yet and I came home from work to see the right pump every few seconds pumping out hundreds of tiny bubbles...anyway...after messing with the pump and the airhose and anything else I can think of to get the bubbles to stop coming out of my right return, I finally added some more water to the tank and that stopped them completely. It didn't seem like there was enough evap because the water wasn't really cascading down into the pump chamber that far but it was enough to create the air bubbles apparently. I am not exactly sure how much space there was from the overflow to the water level to make them stop but I would say 2 - 3 inces is my guess. If it falls too far it will create the bubbles. Try and see if that helps you out!

I like your aquascape :) Looking good! I am excited to start too!

kennycs1292

thanks for the tip. I was thinking that too, the water just falls down those chambers creating bubbles, but when the wave maker is running, the water level in those chambers rises and no more bubbles are produced.....makes perfect sense!

and thank you for the compliment!

littlelacho
thanks for the tip. I was thinking that too, the water just falls down those chambers creating bubbles, but when the wave maker is running, the water level in those chambers rises and no more bubbles are produced.....makes perfect sense!

and thank you for the compliment!

Ahhh...never noticed it changes the water level in those chambers as I don't have my wavemaker on. I want to run the wavemaker but those pumps aren't all that powerful so want them both on all the time. Yep, add some water and you should be bubble free :)

Absolutely! Like I said...it makes me want my rock NOW lol!

kennycs1292

the stock pumps are terrible, i switched them both out with maxi-jet 1200's, much more water movement. Did you keep those sponges in the chambers with the pumps?

im lookin forward to you getting your tank all set up :)

littlelacho
the stock pumps are terrible, i switched them both out with maxi-jet 1200's, much more water movement. Did you keep those sponges in the chambers with the pumps?

im lookin forward to you getting your tank all set up :)

I agree and may switch them out at some point. Maybe not though...hard to tell since I have nothing in the tank to actually see the flow. I have a koralia 1 in there and was thinking I would get a nano and put that on the wavemaker for a little variation.

I did keep the sponges in there because I thought they were for the vibration of the pumps against the chamber wall or something but I now think they are for the cascade of water into that chamber to help stop the bubbles. My only concern is that they will become nitrate factories so will make sure to clean them out every so often. Did you keep them in there?

Awww...thanks! Me too :) I have had this tank for 3 weeks now gathering my equipment and trying not to deplete my bank account lol! Leak test last week and now set up and ready for my live rock this coming week...yay!

I will be following along on thread!

kennycs1292

i kept the sponges in there when the wavemaker was not on to try to help with the bubble problem, it did help, but not much, right now they are out, debating whether i should put them back in or not.

i am waiting ever so patiently for my tank to cycle and to get my first inhabitants...even getting a few snails and hermits will make me so happy. but nope, stupid little bacteria has to hurry up and do their thing!

littlelacho

Oh okay...were the pumps noisier without them in place? I would say that if ya can get away without them, that would be better because I would think unless they are cleaned frequently, they will end up being nitrate traps. I will try taking mine out and seeing if it makes a difference with the noise or if bubbles start. For you, I would say add water until those compartments are filled up within a few inches of the cascade and see if the bubbles stop...if not, put the sponges back in...and we can compare to see if the sponge is needed lol. I will hang onto mine but if the bubbles are not there and it is no louder, those sponges are coming out of mine.

Ahhh...patience. That is the hardest part of this hobby!

No input Just wanted to see how things were going. I wouldn't keep those sponges in they do collect alot of crap I think just add more water. I do not have this tank so I'm not sure.

kennycs1292

everything is going good. day 5 of the cycle. testing for ammonia spike, not really anything there yet. anyone have an idea of when ammonia will start spiking?

i must add that the LED moon lights on the cube are so cool. I love just looking at the tank at night with those lights on. all sorts of things come out, some tiny white snails, copepods, all cool things.

Not sure when it will start yeah there are alot of cool things that come out in the dark Did you see the puppy? i sent her to you

Archived