SaltCritters.com

Safe Gloves for Aquarium?

paulski1

I always wear gloves when working in my tank for my protection.

If I have to do something quick with using tweezers I might not but if I have a cut, I wear my armpit length gloves, I often use liquid bandaid so nothing can get into my wounds.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I often use liquid bandaid so nothing can get into my wounds.

Thanks, I never knew liquid bandage even existed!  And to think, I just bought a ton of regular Band-Aids.  I'm going to have to check this out! 🙂

It may not be the best for all situations. Puncture wounds should never be covered, by anything but especially not by a sealant, because they need to drain. Same for animal bites. Wild animal bites should probably involve a doctors' visit, actually. Liquid bandage is good for shallow things and tiny cuts that you just need to cover, though.

• Like 1
BearTheSquare
2 hours ago, Tired said:

It may not be the best for all situations. Puncture wounds should never be covered, by anything but especially not by a sealant, because they need to drain. Same for animal bites. Wild animal bites should probably involve a doctors' visit, actually. Liquid bandage is good for shallow things and tiny cuts that you just need to cover, though.

Flex Seal for punctures and wild animal bites

2 hours ago, Seadragon said:

Thanks, I never knew liquid bandage even existed!  And to think, I just bought a ton of regular Band-Aids.  I'm going to have to check this out! 🙂

It comes in handy for regular cuts and scrapes.

8 hours ago, BearTheSquare said:

Flex Seal for punctures and wild animal bites

ive used rtv & crazy glue for various cuts. never near flex seal

as far as gloves in the tank....nah. My hands have been in far worse places (im a utility mechanic, so caustic, carcinogen, pcb, asbestos, lead, mercury, HF etc you name it ive handled it) im not worried about a little sw

• Like 2

...or you could wear gloves to handle those things, also. Like a sensible person.

As for "far worse", there's always a chance, however slim, that a reef aquarium could have a potentially lethal strain of bacteria in it. Which means you could get an infection from a small cut that, if you didn't seek out medical treatment, could kill you. Most of the things you just listed won't kill someone from one contact. 

Or you could consider the fact that, even if you don't want to wear gloves to handle substances that are definitely hazardous, you can wear gloves anyway in other circumstances. Someone who doesn't wear a helmet on their motorcycle can still wear a seatbelt. You don't have to decide that you're never going to wear gloves. 

And no, don't put flex seal over punctures and animal bites. Don't put anything over them, except a very loose bandage. They need to be left open. If you close them up, especially if you do it in a way conducive to healing, the outside can heal before the inside does. That leaves a pocket of bacteria in the wound, trapped where your body can't dump it out, which is the perfect circumstance for an infection. Especially on, again, animal bites. Because we know animal bites have a great many bacteria in them. Even dog bites- that thing about a dog's mouth being cleaner than a human's is just wrong. What it actually is, is the bacteria in a dog's mouth don't grow well on a Petri dish. So if you swab a dog's mouth and a human's, and grow the results on Petri dishes to compare, the human grows more bacteria. Dogs' mouths are filthy just like every other animal that eats dead things and licks itself. And, being predators, they have bacteria in them that can cause fatal sepsis in small animals. That's what makes cat bites so nasty, they're full of bacteria to help finish off their prey.

5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So pretty much super glue then with more 

5 minutes ago, BearTheSquare said:

@Tired

I guess sarcasm doesn’t translate well on forums. I wouldn’t deliberately put anything on my skin, especially an open wound, that can reseal a boat lol.

There is nothing wrong with using liquid bandaid, hospitals even use adhesives now

5 hours ago, Tired said:

...or you could wear gloves to handle those things, also. Like a sensible person.

As for "far worse", there's always a chance, however slim, that a reef aquarium could have a potentially lethal strain of bacteria in it. Which means you could get an infection from a small cut that, if you didn't seek out medical treatment, could kill you. Most of the things you just listed won't kill someone from one contact.

Or you could realize that 99% of my post was ment to be comical. One would be a complete moron to handle any of the items I listed with bare skin (even once). 

But, since we are super serious. I do not wear gloves while doing anything in my tank. I've handled 100's of corals, and plenty of various fish. I use common sense when it comes to poisons/venom fish

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

There is nothing wrong with using liquid bandaid, hospitals even use adhesives now

Not at all wasnt knocking it. Originally superglue was invented for a quick fix for battlefield wounds. Kinda cool to see it come full circle

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JBM said:

Or you could realize that 99% of my post was ment to be comical. One would be a complete moron to handle any of the items I listed with bare skin (even once). 

But, since we are super serious. I do not wear gloves while doing anything in my tank. I've handled 100's of corals, and plenty of various fish. I use common sense when it comes to poisons/venom fish

You literally listed off a list of substances and said "you name it, I've handled it" as justification for not wearing gloves in an aquarium. Thinking you meant that you handled those without gloves is reasonable. After all, it wouldn't make much sense to say "I wear gloves when handling potentially dangerous substances, except aquarium substances". 

Corals and fish are only one concern in an aquarium. Most of the concern is the rock itself, and the bacteria on it. Live rock often has sharp edges (or sharp vermatids) on it, which are coated in bacteria. You don't have to wear gloves, there's no glove police secretly monitoring aquariums for glove usage, but it's a good idea. 

And superglue (or fancy variants thereof) are perfectly fine to close cuts, just not punctures. 

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Not at all wasnt knocking it. Originally superglue was invented for a quick fix for battlefield wounds. Kinda cool to see it come full circle

I know😊

I know ppl who have used duct tape...not something I would use. Lol

3 hours ago, Tired said:

blah blah blah blah blah

I'm only responsible for what I say. Not what you interpret. It's your choice to carry on whining about what you think you understood in a demeaning manner. 

Is it weird that I'm excited that my New-Skin Liquid Bandage will be arriving on Monday?  My wife asked if I have a cut... nope!  I'm just getting prepared for the day that I do.

Med-Kit.jpg.2ae4ba6e5f37ff34cb604298d78ce0c4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 4:31 AM, Ratvan said:

Is it just a fancy super glue?

The reverse, at least according to legend.   Super Glue descends from this stuff which (supposedly) was developed by Kodak waaaay back in the day but had no use until someone decided to use it for a bandaid in Viet Nam during the war.  Supposedly.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 3/11/2010 at 4:37 AM, 19jeffro83 said:

Man up and go raw.

It’s not in the aquarium life’s best interests AT ALL to NOT wear gloves.  Man up?  Geezus.  No.  Get good gloves.