Innovative Marine Aquariums

Safe Gloves for Aquarium?

paulski1

Hi there. Quick question. If you are using any gloves, which gloves are safe for dipping in the aquarium tank?

I have the coral life one, but for small jobs I'd rather use a disposable one. Besides, I would get a better grip with the disposable ones.

Thanks!

Srsly, we are recommending no gloves in the beginners forum? Granted, maybe most of us don't use them, but we still should. There really are some nasty toxins/diseases/infections that you are exposing yourself to. Plus some reactions get worse with repeated exposures.

• Like 2

Do u swim dive in the ocean? Much worse there IMO. These are controlled tanks as pure and clean as we make them. If you can't stick your bare hand in there then don't put a living thing inside it.

I'm less afraid of getting something on my hands from the tank, than I am putting something from my hands into the tank. That's why I wear gloves.

• Like 3
Do u swim dive in the ocean? Much worse there IMO. These are controlled tanks as pure and clean as we make them. If you can't stick your bare hand in there then don't put a living thing inside it.
Yep, I swim in the ocean (even got a nice infection when I was a kid). However, I can't say that I routinely handle/frag coral or rearrange the rockwork when I go to the beach. :P

I just started wearing gloves when handling coral (my point being teaching best practices in the 'Beginner Discussion' forum). There is some bad stuff out there. I couldn't find the post with a series of video presentations (which I thought that Steven Pro delivered) on harmful diseases and infections in marine aquaria.

Nemo Niblets
I'm less afraid of getting something on my hands from the tank, than I am putting something from my hands into the tank. That's why I wear gloves.

^

Anyone suck on the water change hose to get the siphon started? Tank water in your mouth?

Does anyone ever give their tank water a little taste?? I can't say that I don't (double-negatives... that means I do!!!)

kamikaze_fish

I worked at an LFS here and can say I've had a mouth full of some of the nastiest salt and fresh water more than once. It's not pleasant but after some of the nasty stuff I see in tanks, I sure wouldn't want to willingly taste test the tank water. Mixed water for a water change, no problem. It's sometimes how I know which jug has RO and which has salt.

As for the gloves, I agree with seabass. Its best practice to use gloves. When you're swimming in the ocean are you constantly messing with rocks that might have bristle worms? Are you constantly picking up zoas covered in toxins? I doubt it. Big difference. And the ocean water is greatly diluted compared to any aquarium.

• Like 1
Non-powder latex gloves would be your best bet. Though, you should just be a man and stick your hand in.

+1

But I admit sometimes if I have to do a quick fix I won't pull out the gloves.

Mixed water for a water change, no problem. It's sometimes how I know which jug has RO and which has salt.

I use the police detective testing suspicious white powder with pinkie finger technique. Small taste lets me know which is RO and which one isn't.

austin-powers-mike-myers-as-dr-evil4.jpg

+1

Anyone suck on the water change hose to get the siphon started? Tank water in your mouth?

Ironically...... I just did this 2 days ago and it wasn't working so I sucked too hard (literally and figuratively) and swallowed a TON of water. I about threw up. About an hour later I didn't feel so good and woke up the next day sick as hell with a head cold/sore throat. Not sure if it's related or not. But I won't be doing that again.

kamikaze_fish
Ironically...... I just did this 2 days ago and it wasn't working so I sucked too hard (literally and figuratively) and swallowed a TON of water. I about threw up. About an hour later I didn't feel so good and woke up the next day sick as hell with a head cold/sore throat. Not sure if it's related or not. But I won't be doing that again.

Did this same thing one time and took in so much water I didn't even fight the urge to puke cause I was afraid of becoming sick. Luckily I had the front door open and was only a few feet away so I made it outside before I exploded.