Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MJ's 75 Gallons of Schnozberries

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
Thats good no water came out. Hope it stays that way so you can start this baby up

inorite? If I had the rock right now, I'd certainly have the itch to fire it up sooner than I should. It's a good thing that John's dry rock tanks 6 to 9 days for delivery!

Wow, who would have ever thought I'd think such things?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds

:scarry:fingerscrossed

For what it's worth, I think I'd have done the same...not sure that is helpful. -_-

Certainly does resemble the other points where the frame was glued in place.

That said tho, you do own a shop vac, yes?

Wish I was close enough to help you move it ( even with one arm lol ) :(

I had a 10g that held for a couple of months then the bottom side gave and water poured all over the place. Of course thats not what you want to hear is it. :rolleyes:

Militant Jurist
:scarry:fingerscrossed

For what it's worth, I think I'd have done the same...not sure that is helpful. -_-

It certainly lets me know I'm not alone in being crazy. :P

Seriously though, I was a bit concerned that my motive was difficulty rather than wisdom, but if you'd do the same thing, I feel better.

Certainly does resemble the other points where the frame was glued in place.

That said tho, you do own a shop vac, yes?

Yup, I do own one. I think I panicked when I saw "cracks" and didn't fully investigate. Otherwise, I'd have noticed the other areas where it couldn't possibly be cracks. Also, with the way my house is built, it would likely end up in the basement, and under that area, there isn't much of value. In the dining room where the tank is located, all of the good stuff is up off the floor.

Wish I was close enough to help you move it ( even with one arm lol ) :(

Thanks Richie. :happy:

I had a 10g that held for a couple of months then the bottom side gave and water poured all over the place. Of course thats not what you want to hear is it. :rolleyes:

omgomgomg

Militant Jurist
I love the stocking list :)

Thanks!

needs more wet water :P

but better safe than sorry!

Yeah, it does needs more wet water. Aside from wanting to take it slow on the glass, I've only got room to make 30g of RODI at a time anyways. :P

Actually, this water isn't very wet at all yet. There's no salt in there. I'm waiting to add salt until the tank has sat completely full for 24 to 48 hours. Then, I'll dump a crap ton (kind of like a metric ton) of salt in the tank and let it stir for a day or two. THEN I'll have wet water. :D

Needreefunds
It certainly lets me know I'm not alone in being crazy. :P
Certainly not a newsflash there either. :P
Seriously though, I was a bit concerned that my motive was difficulty rather than wisdom, but if you'd do the same thing, I feel better.
And the concern is valid, yet in the end taking the available info ( really feeling this is NOT a crack ) your situation ( no help moving to verify with a water test ) and given the fact its your house/belongings/mess to deal with should it all go awry... we arrive at this point. Go for it and hope our feelings are correct. Is this the most intelligent option, certainly not. I am simply saying I can see how we arrived here. :lol:

Yup, I do own one. I think I panicked when I saw "cracks" and didn't fully investigate. Otherwise, I'd have noticed the other areas where it couldn't possibly be cracks. Also, with the way my house is built, it would likely end up in the basement, and under that area, there isn't much of value. In the dining room where the tank is located, all of the good stuff is up off the floor.

My tank sits in a one level slab addition. Wet carpet, furniture, upset better half- The latter making my decision MUCH more risky than yours. :lol:

Thanks Richie. :happy:

Seriously Tyler, I do hope it all works out. Good luck my friend. :)

Militant Jurist
Certainly not a newsflash there either. :P

Indeed not! ;) I was just stating the obvious for those just starting to tag along. :lol:

And the concern is valid, yet in the end taking the available info ( really feeling this is NOT a crack ) your situation ( no help moving to verify with a water test ) and given the fact its your house/belongings/mess to deal with should it all go awry... we arrive at this point. Go for it and hope our feelings are correct. Is this the most intelligent option, certainly not. I am simply saying I can see how we arrived here. :lol:

Yeah, it's a rather difficult situation. I just hope I shouldn't have taken that left back at Albuquerque.

My tank sits in a one level slab addition. Wet carpet, furniture, upset better half- The latter making my decision MUCH more risky than yours. :lol:

Yup, I just get to kick myself should something happen.

Seriously Tyler, I do hope it all works out. Good luck my friend. :)

Thanks!

fingerscrossed

Militant Jurist

Well, now that I'm trying to not think about the glass of the tank anymore, and the fish list is established, it's time to give some thought to inverts.

As far as the creepy crawly critters, I'm thinking of a cleaner shrimp, and maybe a couple of peppermints. The CUC will be all snail. Any other critters ya'll think I should get?

In the coral department, I'm thinking of going a LPS heavy scape, with some caps and digis. I'll probably have a few SPS, but with a higher bioload, LPS will probably be easier to keep. Of course, I'm open to suggestions. :happy:

That is what i got goin on in the 29g...LPS, softies and the hardy SPS :)

I loooove fire shrimp! pep shrimp can pick at LPS :(

Plus I have found that Peppermint Shrimp just love to eat up some feather dusters if you plan to have any of the ornamental type.

Anyway just getting back on here as I am traveling right now but yeah I was talking about the bottom where it looks like spider webs between the glass and black frame. I have seen that type of "deformity" in glass before and it is usually stress related.

Hope all is going well with it though through the water testing phase Tyler. Can't wait to see some wet water in there.

Needreefunds

Plus, meh, what 4?? on the peps Tyler.

Gobbled up all my Aiptasia- YAY!!

Then gobbled up all my Blue Cespitularia :angry::rant:

Nibbled my trumpets and Acans too.

Cleaners and CBS have been very well behaved for me.

Militant Jurist
That is what i got goin on in the 29g...LPS, softies and the hardy SPS :)

I loooove fire shrimp! pep shrimp can pick at LPS :(

I forgot about fire shrimp! Hm... maybe a cleaner and a fire.. that would be cool!

Don't put any Peppermint Shrimp in there!!!

Maria is right that they will nibble LPS.

Don't do it!!!

Yikes! Yeah, I guess they are off the list! I've actually got a peppermint in the 29, but he hides down where I suspect the RCG is hiding. He only shows his face when I feed Rods. Definitely not going to take the chance in the 75 though! Thanks for the save!

Plus I have found that Peppermint Shrimp just love to eat up some feather dusters if you plan to have any of the ornamental type.

Anyway just getting back on here as I am traveling right now but yeah I was talking about the bottom where it looks like spider webs between the glass and black frame. I have seen that type of "deformity" in glass before and it is usually stress related.

Hope all is going well with it though through the water testing phase Tyler. Can't wait to see some wet water in there.

I've never been into the ornamental dusters. I like seeing them randomly grow, but I'd never buy one.

I think that the cracking in it was stress on the adhesive from the trim being busted. I've been able to shove a razor blade in there, and you can't see any cracks between the glass and the blade. It was all just a very weirdly dried adhesive. Other areas have it as well, and you can see it pull away when you pull the trim back. I felt much better when I was able to pull out pieces of the "cracks."

So far so good on the water front. I just realized I haven't taken any wet water pictures! :o

Plus, meh, what 4?? on the peps Tyler.

Gobbled up all my Aiptasia- YAY!!

Then gobbled up all my Blue Cespitularia :angry::rant:

Nibbled my trumpets and Acans too.

Cleaners and CBS have been very well behaved for me.

BAD PEPS! BAD!

Ok, I have put the peppermints on the Schnozberry No-Fly List. I've never given much thought to the CBS. I'd always heard they were mean little devils. Maybe they deserve a second look!

100_1352.jpg

100_1353.jpg

Militant Jurist

10 more gallons went in last night, and all of the gallons remain in the tank. ;) Tonight, about 20 more should be added. That should come close to giving me enough water to start a cycle. I plan to save the last 20 or so gallons for water from the 20L.

Ok, here's a question for those who have done big upgrades before (my 10 to 20L doesn't count as big):

Should I run a complete cycle with my 50lbs of dry rock, using a bit of established rock, or should I add the 20g of water + LR containing corals from the 20L and just do a 1 day tank upgrade?

I would leave the corals out till the cycle is over. When I did mine I put some corals on rocks in and well they didn't do so good. But that could've just been my fault I was rushing cause I needed to get the other tank out of my way. Lets see what everyone else says. Happy there is no leaks for you

Militant Jurist

Still holding water! Tonight will get the last of the water additions. Then, either Friday night or Saturday, I'll add the salt.

The plan is to move some excess LR into the tank, and move the sump from the 20L to the 75. The 20L itself will be the sump eventually, but for now, I could use the LR that's in the sump, so it's getting hooked up. The dry rock should be here sometime next week, after which I'll add the sand.

Needreefunds
Ok, here's a question for those who have done big upgrades before (my 10 to 20L doesn't count as big):

Should I run a complete cycle with my 50lbs of dry rock, using a bit of established rock....

If I had the option, and it looks like you do here, this is what I would have done. One time set up and just less mess IMO.

Why get the tank transferred and settled- then upset it all to add the 50lbs of dry after it cycles? Leave the coral where they are, happy and healthy and allow the 75 to cycle out and do its thing without unnecessary stress to your critters. JMHO buddy :)

Militant Jurist
If I had the option, and it looks like you do here, this is what I would have done. One time set up and just less mess IMO.

Why get the tank transferred and settled- then upset it all to add the 50lbs of dry after it cycles? Leave the coral where they are, happy and healthy and allow the 75 to cycle out and do its thing without unnecessary stress to your critters. JMHO buddy :)

Yeah, I guess there is always that. I'm still going to use the extra LR to get the cycle started (instead of waiting for the dry rock to show up), but this is LR that is coral-free. I suppose then that I should go ahead and fill the tank all the way up, since I'll have to do a WC before moving the coral into the tank.

Militant Jurist

Hm... I might have a dilemma with the kole tang. I recently saw information about convict tangs.... and apparently, they do well in a 75g tank. A convict tang would be rather appropriate, considering my interest in criminal litigation. :P

So, in all seriousness, what does everyone/anyone know about convict tangs? Or should I stick with a kole tang?

Militant Jurist

As of this morning when I left for work, the tank is still holding! It's got somewhere around 60 gallons in the tank, which is where I'll leave it, to make sure I've got room for rock and sand. If all is still well, tomorrow morning will see the addition of salt!

Militant Jurist
WooHoo the water gets WET tomorrow!!!

:D

I actually need to go pick up the salt for this endeavor. I think I've only got enough salt at home for maybe 20 gallons or so. I'd hate to end up with only partially wet water.

Militant Jurist
Yeah nothing worse than something that is only 1/2 wet is there?

Well, there is, but I see your point. :P

Every time I hear "nothing worse" I think of two stories:

1: Lorena Bobbit

2: The guy with the shredded jellyfish being pumped into his deep dive suit.

Archived