- They move around a lot, so prepare for that

- Appropriate tank size, they grow big

I hope this was addressed:

- Experienced reefers only

- Intense lighting is required 99% of time

- Tank should be at least 6 months old, I would recommend longer

- They move around a lot, so prepare for that

- Appropriate tank size, they grow big

He has already attached to the rock in a med flow area and has not moved, I made sure that everything has screens so he does not get sucked in, I have a 33 gal and 30 is the min take requirement.

Alright. Well I noticed you said you had power compacts. Make sure you are replacing the bulbs every 8 months or so, they lose a lot of intensity. Also, keeping an anemone under PCs is pretty tough, I can name one or two people that have successfully. Keep it well fed and keep water parameters perfect. I hope it does well, good luck :) !

Alright leave the lights be there were folks proping and growing BTAs under 2 regular flourescents on a 55 tank. I love the fact that people with like 5000 or more posts think they know more than the new people. I personnally disagree that every tank has to have the best of the best. I also don't agree that you should add water fish and inverts at the same time. I was hoping that by my first post it would get that comment out of the way. I really think some of you are taking this hobby a little to far. YOU ARE NOT SAVING THE OCEAN. Don't worry be happy>!!!!

Alright leave the lights be there were folks proping and growing BTAs under 2 regular flourescents on a 55 tank. I love the fact that people with like 5000 or more posts think they know more than the new people. I personnally disagree that every tank has to have the best of the best. I also don't agree that you should add water fish and inverts at the same time. I was hoping that by my first post it would get that comment out of the way. I really think some of you are taking this hobby a little to far. YOU ARE NOT SAVING THE OCEAN. Don't worry be happy>!!!!

Psh. Nobody's happy when they have to flush that BTA down the toilet and miss the $40 they spent on it.

I have to agree with the other dudes, anemones are hard to keep... and really I wouldn't say 6 months is ready, I would say 12 months, in a much larger tank... With better lighting, PC lighting is likely going to be too weak for the anemone... It'll be moving around too much.

I had a BTA, the biggest PITA of all the animals I've kept including SPS corals. I don't like nems, you'll probably not like them after this experience either.

Tanks don't have to have "the best of the best" but they do need one thing to keep anemones, STABILITY, and stability only comes with time and experience, your tank will become more stable over time, and you will learn how to keep it more stable...

I hope it turns out well, but it will likely be a regret I am afraid.

It's not about "saving the ocean" or being arrogant, it's really just that it gets old seeing people get really excited about something they aren't ready for, then getting their hearts broken or having to admit that they weren't ready when people told them over and over again just to be patient.

Edited by 10001110101

They came for advice and we gave it. Not trying to be disrespectful, just stating what the easiest way to keep a nem.

northstar1357
Alright. Well I noticed you said you had power compacts. Make sure you are replacing the bulbs every 8 months or so, they lose a lot of intensity. Also, keeping an anemone under PCs is pretty tough, I can name one or two people that have successfully. Keep it well fed and keep water parameters perfect. I hope it does well, good luck :) !

I think you should mention my name!

haha

What is meant by they grow fast?

double the size in 5 months?

Anyways Picture!

Day 1 (october of 2009)

DSCN7299.jpg

DSCN7310.jpg

Week 2 or 3 forgot

DSCN7323.jpg

3 months later

DSCN7550.jpg

DSCN7610.jpg

DSCN7611.jpg

Last Night

DSCN7791.jpg

DSCN7785.jpg

DSCN7768.jpg

DSCN7766.jpg

DSCN7754.jpg

RBTA

Day 1

DSCN7508.jpg

2 months later

DSCN7553.jpg

Here is a pictre of my Monti, Not related but just wanna share ^_^

day 1

DSCN7465.jpg

2 months later

DSCN7560.jpg

BAM!

today

DSCN7777.jpg

My cal never drop below 400 in keep these invert and corals

I forgot to add, For those who said that you can keep BTA before your tank is matured. WRONG!

I've keep a GBTA before this and it died on me bcause my tank was not established. That nem look like a piece of shet every day and never expands.

Keeping a nem is easy not hard so don't be afraid to ge ur feet wet.

I would say 5 months after cycle is a good starting point. That is you dont experience any crashes before that.

I have PC bulbs and i just replaced my bulbs with Nanotuners bulb.

Their bulb looks more purple than blue. Brings out the coralline ^_^

oh yeah, when keeping anemone in a small tank. Dont over feed.

I feed my nem once a week. Only a small portion of good.

Some people might say feed every other day. but in such a small volume of water. i wouldnt do that.

My tank is a 12 gallon NC and it has 15 lbs of LR with 12 Lbs LS so there are only 8 gallons or less in total.

I do weekly water change since i started my tank. 40% a week!!! haha that was before i had a protein skimmer now its down to 20%

Edited by northstar1357
  • Like 1
post-50525-1268270223_thumb.jpg

Wow you guys are really quick to jump the gun and judge.

I'm only going to respond since you quoted me when you made that comments.

There was no jumping the gun as you say.

You stated that the tank was 3 years in the making and that you've been doing research for a very long time but your questions and posts paint a much different picture. I have no problem with people who know what they are doing adding a nem early... seiously - I've seen it done many times.

But when you do not know what your own lighting is and a quick click to view your previous topics proves that you are inexperienced (and there is no shame in that) I can safely conclude that you just simply aren't ready.

I'm by no means campaigning to save the world but I do have a respect for the amazing animals and life that we take into our care when we add them to our systems. The very least you can do is ensure that you are ready to take on that responsibility and have the means (equiptment, knowledge and ability) to do so.

Good Luck

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/10/2010 at 5:03 PM, alhoback said:

So I got myself a little bitty baby bubble tip and it is doing great so far! I did all my research on tank conditions and food, but I am wondering how fast the little guy will grow. I do regular water changes and plan to feed twice a week.

don’t worry about them I got my first one within the first week of a new tank it’s been over a year and my bubble tip doing amazing, It was the second thing I got in my 1 week tank, they are very very thought, also one of my friends spilled by accident Chemical to kill An Aiptasia and half spilled on the bubble tip and it’s recovered with in a week, just make sure you don’t feed it too much, max one’s a week other wise it will become lazy and won’t extent The tentacle. Goodluck buddy, don’t listen to anyone some ppl here are too paranoid

5 hours ago, Natanem5 said:

don’t worry about them I got my first one within the first week of a new tank it’s been over a year and my bubble tip doing amazing, It was the second thing I got in my 1 week tank, they are very very thought, also one of my friends spilled by accident Chemical to kill An Aiptasia and half spilled on the bubble tip and it’s recovered with in a week, just make sure you don’t feed it too much, max one’s a week other wise it will become lazy and won’t extent The tentacle. Goodluck buddy, don’t listen to anyone some ppl here are too paranoid

I see you're new here.  Welcome to the community!

The last post in that thread is 11 years old, BTW....mostly these old threads are just for your reference and learning since the people have already gone on to other things.

Some forums have a feature where it'll tell you "this thread is very old" if you go to reply on an old thread. You still CAN reply, you're just told it's an old thread. I wonder if we could get a feature like that here? 

• Like 1