Coral Vue Hydros

How fast does a BTA grow?

alysia

So I got myself a little bitty baby bubble tip and it is doing great so far! I did all my research on tank conditions and food, but I am wondering how fast the little guy will grow. I do regular water changes and plan to feed twice a week.

:o !!! thats so awesome. what else are you going to have in the tank

I'm starting off very slow, the tank has been cycled for about three weeks. My room mate has gotten really involved with the tank and is learning. She was gone when the tank finished, so I told her I would just add a clean up crew to take care of the algae and then I will wait until she gets home. She got home about a week and a half ago and we have added the anemone, a small zoa frag and a red electric scallop. Now I am going to wait about a week and make sure everything is fine before I add more. Just did a water change today too, and the bubble tip is starting to bubble up at the end.

I have cycled this tank twice before and had a CUC in it, but after my big move I waited about a year and half before I started up again. I have been researching since I was in high school, so for about 7 years and am always constantly learning.

Edited by alhoback

Just so I can be the first to tell you, you should wait 6 months before you put an anemone in a tank. Just FYI may work for you I wish you the best

• Like 1
Just so I can be the first to tell you, you should wait 6 months before you put an anemone in a tank. Just FYI may work for you I wish you the best

Strange, because no where that I researched mentioned that, including this website. It is says it is not for novice reef keepers. I feel that I have the knowledge to properly care for him, but maybe I was mislead. Even three of my lfs said it would be okay.

I'm starting off very slow, the tank has been cycled for about three weeks. My room mate has gotten really involved with the tank and is learning. She was gone when the tank finished, so I told her I would just add a clean up crew to take care of the algae and then I will wait until she gets home. She got home about a week and a half ago and we have added the anemone, a small zoa frag and a red electric scallop. Now I am going to wait about a week and make sure everything is fine before I add more. Just did a water change today too, and the bubble tip is starting to bubble up at the end.

I have cycled this tank twice before and had a CUC in it, but after my big move I waited about a year and half before I started up again. I have been researching since I was in high school, so for about 7 years and am always constantly learning.

I have heard those flame scallops are hard to keep in very clean tanks since they are filter feeders.

Under the right conditions and when well fed they can grow quickly.

Karen's Rose Anemones

A good source of information for bubble tipped anemones.

A search for bubble tipped anemone here

Even three of my lfs said it would be okay.

They're telling you what you want to hear to make a sale. Stable conditions are essential for BTA. You should work towards this to give it the best chance of survival.

Edited by nibor

They grow pretty quickly if they are feed a lot, thought they should be feed on a weekly basis. Strong lighting and stable water conditions are key with nems. If you keep your tanks params stable then you will be fine. I hope your LR was from a established aquarium and had minimal die off so your are not cycling still. The idea on waiting the "6 month period" is to make sure that there is enough bacteria in your tank to take care of the waste that is made (nems can be messy) and create nitrate and eliminate ammonia and nitrite. Your lfs would tell you that you are ok to make some money, but you know your tank best. If you have been testing and have stable params, you should be good.

What is your lighting btw? This will effect how your BTA grows along with the amount you feed it.

• Like 1
I have heard those flame scallops are hard to keep in very clean tanks since they are filter feeders.

I've heard that as well. Although, I have no first hand experience with them.

Keep the forum posted on how it's doing. Maybe satrt a thread just to document the scallop.

best-o-luck

I am feeding phytoplankton three times a week. He is doing great!

Under the right conditions and when well fed they can grow quickly.

Karen's Rose Anemones

A good source of information for bubble tipped anemones.

A search for bubble tipped anemone here

They're telling you what you want to hear to make a sale. Stable conditions are essential for BTA. You should work towards this to give it the best chance of survival.

Maybe I should have a bit more clear in my previous post, my tank has been ready for three weeks now, it took me two months to get there though. Local fish store confirmed what I already knew - the tank is ready. I did daily tests and saw the ammonia spike, drop and then the nitrite and nitrate. I did a half water change and established a good CUC three weeks ago.

I have 33 gal with 35 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of lives and. The rock was dead and re-cured and the tank cycled perfectly. I have coral life 96 watt actinic lights and regular lights.

Edited by alhoback

I interpret the '6 month' rule as giving you half a year to make sure you know what you're doing with your tank before exposing a nem to the results of your ability (or inability) to manage the system.

Your lights are t5 or pc?

Just read only the first few posts but what i'd like to say it...

That shows that you have completed cycling your tank i'm going to assume. I belieeve the 6 month rule or any other time frame said to be the requirments is not a must but simply a way for you to learn your ways with your tank. 6 months or more will give you time to make mistakes and find solutions to problems you may have alont the way.

Its just a way of being able to keep the anemone healthy and happy even through mistakes becasue the time given to you will allow you to know jstu what to do in certain cases.

hope this helps

I interpret the '6 month' rule as giving you half a year to make sure you know what you're doing with your tank before exposing a nem to the results of your ability (or inability) to manage the system.

Your lights are t5 or pc?

I am not sure, how would I determine this?

You don't know what sort of lights you have? Light's pretty important to a nem...

I know what kind of lights I have, but I am not sure what you mean by t5 or pc?

I am not sure, how would I determine this?

If you don't know what your lighting is... I can say without a doubt that you are not ready for a nem.

I'm sorry but they need mature stable tanks or at the very least an experienced reefer to provide the right conditions for them to survive.

You know that scallops are really difficult to keep (IME I had one in my 1 year and half tank feed it 3 times a week thought it looked healthy 1 month later it was dead) and for the anemone t5 to metal halide is better so you need to find find out what type of light you have

post-50525-1268270223_thumb.jpg

How about a pic of your new nem...?? :happydance:

This is bubbles.

If you don't know what your lighting is... I can say without a doubt that you are not ready for a nem.

I'm sorry but they need mature stable tanks or at the very least an experienced reefer to provide the right conditions for them to survive.

Wow you guys are really quick to jump the gun and judge.

Wow you guys are really quick to jump the gun and judge.

Not passing judgement on anything. You said you've been researching for 7 years yet you don't know what sort of light you have and you own a nem - so it doesn't add up.

Not passing judgement on anything. You said you've been researching for 7 years yet you don't know what sort of light you have and you own a nem - so it doesn't add up.

I have had the tank for three years, so the lights are not brand new out of the box. I am just not super familiar with the acronyms. I have coral life power compacts, if that's what you asking :).