Coral Vue Hydros

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

I had a similar issue, but didnt panic as I figured temps between 75-85 were fine for reef life. All is well in my tank and I like the RO ice cubes idea, but remember to check salinity. Everyone I've spoken to recommended a chiller, but i dont want one and im on the search for cooling water temp ideas. :happy:

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to get some input from fellow Edge owners regarding something I never thought about until the record breaking "30 degree above normal", 91 degree temperature we had yesterday in NYC.

I work from home, and although it was 86 degrees in my house, the heat wasn't bothering me since I am not exerting a lot of effort sitting in front of a computer. It suddenly dawned on me that my tank water could be above normal. And it was. I watched it climb from its normal temperature of 79-80 degrees to almost 83. I finally panicked, closed all of the windows, put on my central air, and watched the temperature VERY SLOWLY drop back to normal.

Does anyone have a proposed solution for this potential summer problem?

I do not know anything about chillers, so please excuse my ignorance on this one. If this in fact is the answer, recommendations would be appreciated.

The only thing that I thought of as a "temporary fix" was to freeze a couple of RO ice-cubes, lol.

Also, does anyone know what temp range the Edge can safely fall/rise to without jeopardizing its inhabitants?

Thanks all,

danielle

+1 @ Tigg62 lol

I will post up if i find anything cool.

Hello! I just set up my fluval the other day and had a few questions. On a side note, it is a freshwater tank. I was going to do a SW but it seemed a bit too involved for a novice like myself so I'm going to get up to speed by trying a FW tank first. Anyway, some help would be fantastic!

1) The AquaClear20 filtration system that comes with the edge doesnt necessarily snap into place or anything into the back base. It is loose. Is this normal? Also, are you guys using the filters the system came with (the 3 step filters?) and if you aren't what filters are you using?

2) I also got the fluval 25w compact submersible heater. While there is a light on the heater, it's very faint (and red). I'm having a hard time figuring out if it is even on, is this the case with anyone else?

3) Anyone know where I can get MR11 LED bulbs? I went to LEDwaves.com but it seems like that they only have one left in stock of the cool white/wide angle (and of course we need two).

Thank you!

Edited by Taktix1
until i can figure out that heat issue I have moved to this :

let me know what you guys figure out, and I will do the same

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo...... LoL

I hear ya on moving it. I found a small sort of chiller attachment but im still reviewing before I post it up.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo...... LoL

I hear ya on moving it. I found a small sort of chiller attachment but im still reviewing before I post it up.

I will probably be banned from the fluval family when I say this ...... but I kinda like the 10g better, please be gentle . I meant to offend no one :mellow:

Welcome Taktix1. Im happy you have the fluval, but would have been even happier if you had it SW B)

1. The bottom of the impeller has a black movable piece that once positioned correctly will make the filter sturdy. I use the floss with a carbon bag in my filter cage, but its SW.

2. You can get a thermometer to test temps or just an adjustable heater.

3. MR11 leds can be found on amazon, google, etc...

I hope this helps ya and I also hope to see a SW tank soon :happy:

Hello! I just set up my fluval the other day and had a few questions. On a side note, it is a freshwater tank. I was going to do a SW but it seemed a bit too involved for a novice like myself so I'm going to get up to speed by trying a FW tank first. Anyway, some help would be fantastic!

1) The AquaClear20 filtration system that comes with the edge doesnt necessarily snap into place or anything into the back base. It is loose. Is this normal? Also, are you guys using the filters the system came with (the 3 step filters?) and if you aren't what filters are you using?

2) I also got the fluval 25w compact submersible heater. While there is a light on the heater, it's very faint (and red). I'm having a hard time figuring out if it is even on, is this the case with anyone else?

3) Anyone know where I can get MR11 LED bulbs? I went to LEDwaves.com but it seems like that they only have one left in stock of the cool white/wide angle (and of course we need two).

Thank you!

Well you're still a fluval owner, just not keeping a reef in one. Im just happy you didnt throw in the towel and we still have another reef thriving out in the world B)

I will probably be banned from the fluval family when I say this ...... but I kinda like the 10g better, please be gentle . I meant to offend no one :mellow:
Well you're still a fluval owner, just not keeping a reef in one. Im just happy you didnt throw in the towel and we still have another reef thriving out in the world B)

It will be back in action soon, just working out the heat issues. Im about to replace the a/c system in my house next month so maybe that will help with my house being so warm. Living in Texas sux

Not I. it states some sort of bracket can be installed and i guess it can go on top of filter or somewhere lol

are you gonna drill for the install ?

picoD suggested I add my Edge here. I posted it in the members tanks area too. There are some updates since the first posting so I'll have to take some pics and post those up.

So I have been out of the fish scene for about 18 years and always prefered the SW side. When it was time to set up a small tank with my son I figured I would try to get into a small SW set up. What I did not know was how things had evolved in those 18 years. I was blow away to see the things that people were doing with small tanks and the new technology/products and livestock that were available.

I opted for a Fluval Edge, just because it is such a neat looking tank, and being able to see from the top down was a cool feature.

Of course the stock halogen lighting was not suitable for much of anything. I gutted the arm that the lights were mounted on and rigged up a fixture with 2 Coralife 50/50 CFL bulbs.

dsc_0125-0.jpg?r=t

This is the tank as it sits in our family room

dsc_0126-0.jpg?r=t

After it cycled, livestock were needed. Try to explain to a 3 year old where there are no fish in the fish tank for a month.

So far the tank is pretty overstocked with

Pair of Oc. clowns

Yellow Goby

3 hermits

3 snails

2 Sexy shrimp

small GBTA

Frogspawn frags

2 GSP frags

Sun coral frags

Zoas

some button polyps

some very small xenia heads

Tank has about 7-8 lbs. of LR and everyone seems to be pretty happy so far.

I have also added a blue LED strip to the light box for moon light. Short term plans are to build a switch box so that each light can be controled individually.

More zoas and other finds will be added as I find them.

Long term plans include a LED array for lighting.

I am already in negotiation with my wife about a larger tank, but so far this one has been a lot of fun.

Here are some other shots. Comments, thoughts & questions are welcome.

Gaffer

dsc_0133-0.jpg?r=t

dsc_0160-0.jpg?r=t

dsc_0183-0.jpg?r=t

dsc_0190-0.jpg?r=t

HI guys,

I used to have the same problem, but not anymore. I live in CA, and houses here are build from wood. My tank was in the corner, so I moved it far away from walls. Now the temperature is something between 79-81

I have to agree with the admin, in my opinion, it shouldn't be problem 78F-85F.

I have seen 90F something in LFS, don't know if it was just broken or what, but it was a digital thermometer, thou.

Well, I'm not really the expert, so let me know if should do something about the temperature

Another thought...

What would stop us folks who are attempting led mods of sought from adding a third led, perhaps blue, between the existing leds? Now, I'm no electrician, so please, correct me if i am wrong, but as long as the total wattage is below 20w, and the bulb is 12v, I believe it can be wired in to the existing lighting.

I bought a frag of duncan, favia, and was given a freebie frag of Pocillopora, and I'm now hell bent on adding more light, but still not comfortable enough in my abilities to do a real-deal led build.

Gotta be honest.. all the people at the MR frag show this weekend agreed that us "Edgers" have quite the challenge on our hands.

Input please!!!!

As far as the chiller situation, I really think I am going to dedicate an ice cube tray to some RO water, and just keep my salinity closely monitored while adding my "cooling cubes". May even put a small bottle of SW in the freezer, just to keep it chilled. Probably best to add any of the aforementioned items through the filter compartment so as to not shock the actual tank...

Pics to come of my new additions.. waiting for my Duncan to feel a little less shy first, lol!

danielle

Edited by picoD

picoD,

I have been using this to get more blue in the Edge. I just took a 12v 1000mA wall warnt that I had kicking around, and wired it up. Works for me. They also have some 12v ricer lights at Walmart that people put under thier cars.

LED Strip

As for the chiller situation, I dont have to worry too much about that up here in Canada, heating is more of an issue. I never place a tank on an outside wall.

If I end up needing to chill my tank I think I would just use one of those reusable ice packs that you put in your lunch. The packs are sealed and you dont have to worry about introducing more water into the system to effect salinity.

If you could figure out the volume that you were losing to evaporation every day you could make RODI ice cubes equal to that amount to top up every day.

Andrew

Those look like they would work. Pretty much anything used for an exterior automotive application, like those will work.

I am in the midst of planning and ordering parts for a LED array for the Edge using Cree High output LEDs. Stay tuned for that.

I also picked up a 12g Nanocube from my LFS. The ballasts for the power compacts is burnt out so I already have plans to gut the canopy and fill it up with LEDs. $50 for the tank and stand I thought was a pretty good deal so I had to have it for my office.

Andrew

Hi All, I've finally received the remainder of my LED's for my Edge!

I've got a little bit more installing to do tonight and will post pictures ASAP.

The hood is in place and the whole thing looks stock!

-r

Hi All, I've finally received the remainder of my LED's for my Edge!

I've got a little bit more installing to do tonight and will post pictures ASAP.

The hood is in place and the whole thing looks stock!

-r

I woul be interested to see the light pattern that you get. I am ordering the part pretty soon and I am wondering what, if any optic to use on the LEDs.

Andrew

Hi all!

I just got an EDGE so I'll be following along :ninja:

I'm still in the process of modifying it and a lot of the specifics aren't pinned down yet. My ultimate goals for the system are:

-remain stock appearance

-house softies

-house a small six line wrasse, putting him in solitary confinement for his past crimes in my other tanks :P

-only requires maintenance once a week (may require ATO)

So far I have modified the hood to hold two 50/50 10w coralife bulbs and a VERY decent reflector setup, if i do say so myself :) (I'll get some pics tonight and post tomorrow)

I see that many of you are using this lighting setup! How is it turning out? Do you use a splash guard with it? What corals are thriving under it? Do you use an extra fan in the hood to control the heat?

I've also been going back and forth as to how i'm going to filter this baby! I've recently become really interested in the Hiatt system with the RightNow! bacteria. I ordered some and am probably going to setup this tank with it. I didn't want to try this system on one of my established tanks that are already working just fine :) Has anyone here used this system? Have they used it for this tank?

My last consideration is the use of a canister filter. I know 'canister filter' is almost like a swear word here but bear with me :) In order to use the Hiatt system I need considerably more filter space then the ac20 provides. By using a canister in the cabinet below I can easily get this extra space AND keep the stock appearance B) . I would only use the canister to hold

1,)tribase carbon for the Hiatt bacteria

2,)chemi-pure

3,)macro sponge to hold back large particles and snails.

what does everyone think?

I also see that a lot of people here are using pura-pads, so I'm looking into them now as well!

Here is my solution to the problem of the spotlight effect we all get in these tanks.

A light diffuser used as a splash guard.

4558051280_a8e76afde7_o.jpg

And here is the approximate light field in my tank with the diffuser on.

4557420499_4001e20ab3_o.jpg

I've also noticed that my heater is insufficient for this tank. What does everyone else use for theirs? I'm trying to avoid having large pieces of equipment in the tank.

I've also noticed that my heater is insufficient for this tank. What does everyone else use for theirs? I'm trying to avoid having large pieces of equipment in the tank.

Hello, I used a 50w Rena heater which I have in the right compartment of the hob filter and I am very happy with it!

Hey, where did you get the piece that you used as a light diffuser? Great idea, btw!

Thank you!

danielle

So a 50w Rena will fit in the ac20? I'll take a look at it!

I got the diffuser from Lowe's in the lighting department for the large ceiling fluorescent. Its used to diffuse fluorescent panels in drop down ceilings. I then cut it to size and put holes in the sides so it will attach to the mirror hangers.