inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

senoufo, that is crazy! i dont think i can mount mine like that, wish i could because its amazing! but i dont think i could do that.......

have you thought of any easier ways?

amazing work!

it can't get easier so no i haven't.

i guess it was very important for me to give my reef critters the most stable and reef friendly environment possible. A quick trip to the hardware store with your hood and a couple of hours planning is all it took, plus that build will never fall apart.

As a good friend on NR said: this is the only way to effectively light these tanks somewhat efficiently. The MR11, MR16, T5 and PC retros, seem kind of hack. Not bashing those that have tried, as this isn't an easy tank to light, but seems somewhat counter productive.

Again, no bashing here folks, we all have our own budgets but in the end i don't think my build was any more expensive in time and parts then other builds...just a different take on it and confidence that it would work.

thanks.

Edited by senoufo

I haven't had the opportunity to check out the video but I'm sure it's as helpful and detailed as you have been these past few days through our pm's so thank you for that.

I've begun making the purchases to copy your build but ledsupply.com had one of the items on backorder so once everything arrives I'll make a thread detailing the build to help others out.

Seems fairly easy at this point but we'll have to see once everything gets started.

Can't wait to get home and check out the video.

its dead silent, i mean we are talking about a 800rpm 12 mil fan ( i think the spec sheet says 18decibel which is next to nothing), i put my ear on the hood and cannot hear it, but i can feel airflow from the exhaust from the back of the hood.

no dust either.

plus

my tank came with a hagen elite hush 5 ... including a foam and a carbon/polyester cartridge... for cycling the tank i dont need to use any of them right?

or should i leave the foam cartridge insight?

cheers,

classic

Wow PicoD!!!!! You're certainly doing it right :)

It makes me want to spend more time on my EDGE, instead of my 60 gallon where most of my upgrade time has been going.

I'd be really interested in hearing your experiences and methods for this tank.

i just found out that 2 par30 led bulbs can fit in the hood kinda id have to cut 2 1" holes in the screen for the threaded e27 base. or im gonna build a new hood the same size but 2" taller and add a fan cuz these were not meant to be in a hood. oh and im gonna angle them 15degrees so the whole tank will be lit. any reason why this wont work?

any one else have sps in there edge?

is the carbon that it comes with good or when i buy more what brand should i get?

any one have a ATO on there edge?

anyone have a canister filter on there edge?

anyone have a overflow on there edge?

sorry for all the questions i just wanted to know if anyone tried it and whether it worked or not befor i try it.

i just found out that 2 par30 led bulbs can fit in the hood kinda id have to cut 2 1" holes in the screen for the threaded e27 base. or im gonna build a new hood the same size but 2" taller and add a fan cuz these were not meant to be in a hood. oh and im gonna angle them 15degrees so the whole tank will be lit. any reason why this wont work?

any one else have sps in there edge?

is the carbon that it comes with good or when i buy more what brand should i get?

any one have a ATO on there edge?

anyone have a canister filter on there edge?

anyone have a overflow on there edge?

sorry for all the questions i just wanted to know if anyone tried it and whether it worked or not befor i try it.

I have a canister filter on my edge, you can see it in my thread in my sig.

I recommend either BRS carbon or chemi-pure.

On my 100th post anniversary I've concocted a you-tube video of 14 minutes on my build, please follow this URL.

forgive the very blue color, my ambient light is weak and my camera is very sensitive to blue. I welcome your comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTh77aRSWAQ

hey senoufa, first of - congratulation to your mod - marvelous. i am curious what exactly you needed to cut out to fit the ac30? also would like to hide my heater in the filter... since i got a elite hush 5 it is not possible at the moment.

another topic: chiller... will need one in the summer... any suggestion?

Edited by classic

many thanks, i'm sorry but i'm not familiar with chillers so i wont be much help.

on the fit of a AC30, i've cut both hinges and plastic stands that the light arms swing from and stand on. took 2 minutes with a dremel and voila: plenty of room.

do you still have the ac20? could you measure it for me - my current heater is a easyheater 25watt.. 16cm length... would it fit in a aquaclear 20?

anyone else can tell me something about chillers? in the summer it will get very hot here (istanbul) am looking for a good efficent water cooling solution for the edge.

senoufo: I started out with a two inch sandbed back in January when I set up my tank, but it is probably closer to an 1.5 now. I had a little cyano issue and kept vacumming it up, hence losing the half inch!

Dustin11: Thanks for the compliments! I have a pretty thorough tank thread if you haven't seen it, but please feel free to send me an email if you have any specific questions that I have not addressed.. Also, I have two frags of SPS in my tank, one Pocillopora and one Lokani. The Pocillopora has shown significant growth (I've had him since March) and the Lokani has only been with me for a couple of weeks, so it is too soon to really make an assessment.

senoufo: I started out with a two inch sandbed back in January when I set up my tank, but it is probably closer to an 1.5 now. I had a little cyano issue and kept vacumming it up, hence losing the half inch!

Dustin11: Thanks for the compliments! I have a pretty thorough tank thread if you haven't seen it, but please feel free to send me an email if you have any specific questions that I have not addressed.. Also, I have two frags of SPS in my tank, one Pocillopora and one Lokani. The Pocillopora has shown significant growth (I've had him since March) and the Lokani has only been with me for a couple of weeks, so it is too soon to really make an assessment.

i read throu your thread... what lighting is it you have installed left and right? the lights in the hood are protected by this splash screen of yours - isnt there any problem with oxygen? i was thinking about some transparent plastic wrap you normally use to keep your salad fresh :) someone also posted about using nail polish but am scared of nail polish coming into the water. what do you think?

classic: From my thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2882685

The flow of water coming into the tank from the HOB filter still breaks the water's surface, even with my makeshift splash guard, so I am not overly concerned about oxygen. There is just enough space between the flow of water and the splash guard...

When I was using the Koralia Nano, I aimed it towards the opening so that it would break the water surface underneath the splash guard, but with the mp10, I cannot do so.

Lastly, I saw that you inquired about whether or not your heater would fit in the ac20. I haven't had a moment to measure it, but I can tell you that my Rena 50w heater (which I highly recommend) fits snuggly in the hob filter compartment once the basket and filter media are removed, with still enough room to put either a piece of Pura Pad or a bag of Chemi-Pure elite.

Hope this info and pic helps!

DSC03904.jpg

Can anyone help with the measure of the aquaclear 30 hob filter? I would like to replace the AC20 one I have but I am not 100% sure it will fit and to be honest I don't wonna take off the lighting arm :unsure:

I did have a hydor heat pad in the filter box but I didn't want to take the risk during the winter so I have a aquel one its good but I don't like the look of it in my tank.

Thanks guys

the aquael one easyheater? 16cm? it doesnt fit in the aquaclear 20?

@picod:

thank you for the pic... looking for some little pieces of glass atm :) the rena i am not able to find anywhere in turkey... the store locator is only for us i guess...

just a hint but if you cut a hole in the top plate of the filter you may have more choices of heaters to play with , that's what i did with my AC30 and a Hydor Theo 50 watt.

Edited by senoufo