ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

Here's the lights

4888341914_2c95bfc13d_z.jpg

4887761123_70771d750a_z.jpg

Also I am down 1 hermit crab and up 1 mantis shrimp after finding my hermit stuck in a hole in the LR, pulling out the shell, and discovering it was empty.

Z Rex your light look real clear do they just sit on the top of the tank with the lid on top of your lighting set up?

Some of my new tank mates yes sad I know but I name them all :lol:

Un named gobie

15082010571.jpg

Minty my pep

15082010561.jpg

Knox my pom pom looks a bit evil here

15082010574.jpg

kristonenicolas

Hey guys, I'm brand new to saltwater but the fluval edge caught my eye and i had to try it out.

No pictures yet, but i'll be sure to post as soon as i can.

Equipment:

- Aquaclear 20

- x2 MR16 240 Lumen White 15 SMD LED Wide Angle Flood Light

Livestock:

-Coral Branded Shrimp

-Turbo snail

-4 hermits

Coral:

-Purple Acropora (just put a small piece in a few days ago, so far still thriving)

-Green Hydnophora

-Green Frogspawn

-Pink Frogspawn

-Devil's Hand Leather Coral

-Polyps, Zoas, Mushrooms

So far so good, been messing with the powerhead. Can't seem to find a place where I like it. I'm also contemplating whether or not I should exhange it for a KNano. Seems like everyone else uses that one. Any pros over the other?

Anyway, on to the real reason why I'm posting.. I'M STUCK AS TO WHICH LEDS TO ADD NOW. Here are my thoughts..

-I feel like LED Strips don't do anything other than moonlight effect. (which would be the only reason why I would get them).

-I would put together 2x 20w Coralife 50/50 bulbs, but do they produce a lot of heat?

-I've been searching but I havent seen anyone try using SMD Bars (which seem to be my top choice so far). Now the MR16 bulbs I have in now produce 480 lumens. According this one i've been looking at Waterproof SMD Bar, a 20" bar produces 1200mcd X 30 LEDS. I'm not sure if i did the math correctly but that equals to about 430 lumens? If so, I could double my light output. I just need to figure out how i want to put this on my tank. I'm really trying to avoid the spotlight effect.

anyways, let me know what you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I just wanted to show you all my new canister/fuge. That is a refugium built inside a canister filter :) . Its my main filtration for my EDGE now. If you want more details visit my EDGE thread in my sig.

4929712654_36183061a8.jpg

maximusmarine

Hi, I’m new to NR and also have a Fluval Edge. However I’ve turned something simple into something rather…complex. I’ve successfully “drilled” the Edge by cutting teeth into the plastic Rim and sealing the filter around the teeth. Currently I’ve also drilled the stock filter and added a drain to a 15 gal sump. The sump consists of a Red Sea II Skimmer/ATO/Coralife Calcium Reactor /50w Sub heater/2 phosban reactors / with a Hydor Koralia powerhead for circulation and maintaining PH. By drilling the sump and adding a drain to my basement I was able to build an automated water change system which does three controlled water changes a week from a 33 gal reservoir with a Hydor Koralia powerhead for circulation. Failsafe standard level controls & Optical Level Control are in place and the entire system is monitored and controlled by a Profilux II PLC. The Edge is lit with a Xenon HID system still using the original hood and stocked with approx 30 lb of LR between the tank and sump. Livestock is a mated pair of clowns and approx 25 hermits/ 15 or so various snails but no coral as of yet. I’m planning on building another drilled edge but this time with a custom external acrylic overflow instead of using the filter. Drilling this system and adding a Fuge or sump is possible and simple.

post-55256-1283159697_thumb.jpg

post-55256-1283162187_thumb.jpg

post-55256-1283162218_thumb.jpg

Edited by maximusmarine
maximusmarine

Overflow to 15 Gal drilled sump with auto water changer/ATO/LR/Phosban Reactors, etc... I'm currently working on another Edge with Acrylic overflow that will be painted to match. I prefer to keep the system looking as stock as possible. All original parts to the tank except the halogens are in tact. These were replaced with the Xenon HID.

The 33 Gal Res for AWC system

I prefer to keep as much of the mechanical stuff hidden. When anyone enters my family room nothing other than the tank can be seen. Unless you intentionally look that is.

post-55256-1283161032_thumb.jpg

post-55256-1283161295_thumb.jpg

post-55256-1283161615_thumb.jpg

Edited by maximusmarine

Wow Maximusmarine!!!!! There are two words that come to mind, AWSOME!! and OVERKILL!!! :)

You could stock that tank with almost anything! It seems to be going to waste only having LR and clowns.

What are the future plans for stocking the tank? Looks great BTW!

maximusmarine

Wow Maximusmarine!!!!! There are two words that come to mind, AWSOME!! and OVERKILL!!! :)

You could stock that tank with almost anything! It seems to be going to waste only having LR and clowns.

What are the future plans for stocking the tank? Looks great BTW!

[/quote

I'm actually starting to stock the tank now. I just put in a bubble anemone, Kenya tree frag, star polyp frag feather duster, pulsing Xenia and a small mushroom rock for starters. I didn't want to add a bunch of coral without thoroughly testing the system first. The PLC alone was time consuming, however I wanted to ensure I could properly maintain my parameters with the AWC also. However the past six months have proven to be consistent and stable so now it's time to stock the crap out of it (eventhough my evil little clowns enjoy biting & attacking me):D

I need a little bit of help from my over seas edger friends :D I have been googling :huh: and looking for more light mods, I have more blue & white led strip light on the way and just wont to keep things nice and simple as I have totally run out of sockets :o and would just like a nice simple bulb replacement for my mr11 leds (they work a mill times better than the stock bulbs but I would like more light spread around the tank)

I hit a link for these today :happydance:http://ledwaves.com./Illum-MR-11-LED-Light...ED-p-19620.html

they look like they could work as they are cree and wide beam and may just be what I have been looking for.

then I noticed they had an updated version :happydance::happydance:

http://www.ledwaves.com/Illum-2.0-MR-11-LE...ED-p-19804.html

As I am ordering from a US site from the UK I just need a little advice from you guys, the second of the two links looks ideal, do you think they would just plug into stock bulb holder or would I need to wire up a more powerfull adapter? (bloody hope not) :wacko:

Why am I spending all my time looking for light bulbs :eek:

I am 95% sure that you don't need to change any adapters. The wall transformer should be the only difference between the American and the UK version. Since these bulbs are 2.5W and the halogens are much higher then that. Personally I would not worry about them not working correctly.

please help with lighting. i want to keep mainly zoas ans things like that. i plan to eventually get the maxspect 60w LED, but untill i can afford that what can i do? i also would like to get the whole want lit up seeing the left and right sides are very low lit.

please post links if possible

thank you all

yes it is.... if your looking to get a powerhead. i recomend a Vortech MP10 if you can afford it...... totally worth it....

Would the Vortech MP10 work with a small tank like a fluval edge?

Yup - thats a koralia nano powerhead - it gets decent water movement in my tank, and it was also $25. I didn't have the funds to get the vortech, although I would recommend it if you got the extra loot. Theres a lot of info to read on these tanks, make sure you get your lighting mods and things planned out ahead to see what has worked best for people.

Would the Vortech MP10 work with a small tank like a fluval edge?

Yes! It works great.. I have had it for a couple of months now and I love it.. Obviously great power and the lack of a wire in the tank made it a must have it for me.

Hey guys, I'm new to sw and fish for the most part. I got a fluval edge about 4 weeks ago and I've done some moding myself. Nothing compared to what I've seen here though. You guys really know aquariums. I guess I have some reading to do. I'll post some pics of my tank later on tonight.

Edited by Mitch619

I got my Koralia Nano Powerhead today didn't get a Vortech MP10 because that would cost me an arm and a leg.

What would be a good spot to put it in? I see a lot of you are putting it in the bottom right, is there a reason for this?

I've found that if I put it in the upper right corner, angling it toward the opening getting good surface circulation, mess around with it til it doesn't kick up any sand on the bottom

I got my Koralia Nano Powerhead today didn't get a Vortech MP10 because that would cost me an arm and a leg.

What would be a good spot to put it in? I see a lot of you are putting it in the bottom right, is there a reason for this?