Pod Your Reef

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

hey fellow EDGE owners, I wanted to start a quick discussion about what we do for oxygenating the water. I'm more then suspicious that a lack of aeration is what causes our ph swings. Here are my thoughts, i'd love to hear others though.

We have a very small surface area for gas exchange, also we can't simply add an airstone to the tank because the bubbles will likely get trapped under the top glass. A few days ago I stuck a small skimmer (made for the BC14) in without the collection cup. In theory this should keep the water aerated but still contain all the bubbles :) So far the bubbles are completely contained and I'm waiting to see if there are any other benefits.

thoughts?

I am using a CPR CS50 HOB overflow,. I capped the bulkhead since there is not a sump, and just put a RIO 50 as the return. It makes a great place for a mini fuge and fits perfectly with no mods to the tank. Also makes for a great place to put a float valve for an ATO.

ok here it is, not completely the way I want it, but it works. still need to add the float valve and fuge, but I have all on paper. now to put it to use.

I did have to place 3 pieces of acrylic under the box to make it sit higher in the water

Where do you plan on putting the fuge? Also how will you return the water back to the tank?

there is room in the rear chamber to make a very small fuge section, but mainly will be for chaeto. the return is a rio 50 (70gph) with vinyl tubing attached to a small pvc elbow made for a sprinkler system . will probably move the return to a rio800 if it will fit.

Where do you plan on putting the fuge? Also how will you return the water back to the tank?

there is room in the rear chamber to make a very small fuge section, but mainly will be for chaeto. the return is a rio 50 (70gph) with vinyl tubing attached to a small pvc elbow made for a sprinkler system . will probably move the return to a rio800 if it will fit.

Great DIY work here!

Thanks, but it is nowhere close to what it was/is planned to be. I've been so busy lately that i havent really had the time to work on it. (dang job getting in the way of the important stuff again). but, once i get to finish it , it should look and function much better .

• 2 weeks later...

here is a tour of my edge with detailed explanations! check out my thread in my sig for more details!

-custom hood

-mr16 led's

-mr11 led's

-blue leds

-coralife 50/50's

enjoy!

I just finished making my a custom LED setup for my edge.

the following is a list of parts I used THANKS EVIL!!!!!

heatsinkusa.com heat sink 7.28"x4"

(2) buckpucks 3023-d-e-700p 700 ma

power supply 24v 1.7a

4 CREE XRE white

4 CREE RB

this heatsink is the perfect size to fit under the hood. I had to make some feet for it to elevate it about 1/4" above the clear plastic lip under hood. all the lights are dimable although i just keep them on full blast.

I am still figuring out if i need a cooling fan on top of the heatsink but so far it just gets warm to the touch but not hot.

I will snap some pics later and post up.

I just finished making my a custom LED setup for my edge.

the following is a list of parts I used THANKS EVIL!!!!!

heatsinkusa.com heat sink 7.28"x4"

(2) buckpucks 3023-d-e-700p 700 ma

power supply 24v 1.7a

4 CREE XRE white

4 CREE RB

this heatsink is the perfect size to fit under the hood. I had to make some feet for it to elevate it about 1/4" above the clear plastic lip under hood. all the lights are dimable although i just keep them on full blast.

I am still figuring out if i need a cooling fan on top of the heatsink but so far it just gets warm to the touch but not hot.

I will snap some pics later and post up.

post-5538-1280467584_thumb.jpg

post-5538-1280467589_thumb.jpg

post-5538-1280467594_thumb.jpg

post-5538-1280467599_thumb.jpg

post-5538-1280467604_thumb.jpg

post-5538-1280467613_thumb.jpg

post-5538-1280467617_thumb.jpg

I just purchased an Edge I've already upgraded the lights to mr-11 leds with a blue led strip from oznium.com. I'm looking at a pump for some good flow but being new to the SW world does anyone have tips on what sand and type of LR would be the best purchase?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated and I'm pumped to finally get into SW tanks.

I just purchased an Edge I've already upgraded the lights to mr-11 leds with a blue led strip from oznium.com. I'm looking at a pump for some good flow but being new to the SW world does anyone have tips on what sand and type of LR would be the best purchase?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated and I'm pumped to finally get into SW tanks.

Congrats on the new tank! I recommend oolitic aragonite sand. Buy the dead sand, don't let anyone sell you the "live" stuff. As for live rock, I suggest you get whatever you think looks best. Get pieces that look nice by themselves because aquascaping is difficult in the EDGE. As for the pump, the Hydor Koralia nano is very popular.

Congrats on the new tank! I recommend oolitic aragonite sand. Buy the dead sand, don't let anyone sell you the "live" stuff. As for live rock, I suggest you get whatever you think looks best. Get pieces that look nice by themselves because aquascaping is difficult in the EDGE. As for the pump, the Hydor Koralia nano is very popular.

I ended up going with the Vortech MP10 as it had a smaller profile and the different modes gave me more versatility for moving up to a larger tank in the future. Thanks for the tip on sand and rock it was greatly appreciated. Now I get to do some research on best prices haha.

I am soooo glad I found this thread.. ... was how it started :D but my comp crashed just after I added all my pics :angry: , info and was ready to post. I have ran out of time now (need to get me peepers checked B) ) but I will be back with all my info and many questions for all. Oh a BIG HELLO from the UK by the way

Told you I would be back :lol: , anyhow like I said I was just about to post where I was at with my edge conversion from planted to salty and the bloody comp crashed.

So where I’m at… …

I have made the basic light changes from stock to mr11 led’s :happydance: first set got trashed with salt splash back so I fixed clear plastic (ziplock bag stuff) with elastic bands to hold them, so far so good. Had a nightmare :rant: of a time trying to find short led strips here in the UK so I took the twin 24 led strips out of my planted tank, doubled them back and tied on with cable ties so far… so good… but I really think I need something else light wise :unsure: but it’s a start.

29072010516.jpg

Night shot

28072010496.jpg

Day shot

18062010362.jpg

I’m crap at aquarium day but can follow simple instruction guides if anyone has any, also a lot of the lights you guys are using I am finding it real hard to find in the UK and all, especially when It comes to the electrics (diff voltage and all) I was wondering if attaching the biorb inteli lighting ring maybe an option??.

Anyhow so far I have 2 sexy shrimp and a pom pom crab and I am now looking for ideas on a fish (or two) to add. Would ideally like to add a true peppermint shrimp just in case I get a re-burst or dreaded aps, any thoughts on this?

Live stock so far

01082010522.jpg

Mickey one of the shrimp seems to like the new frag

01072010439.jpg

Knox the crab, giving me the shock of my life by shading his coat, I thought he had killed another crab.

I’m also looking for some more frag bits to add and need some ideas on what will work with my lighting set up as is for now but will adapt to better lighting should I get the guts to attack this little tank.

Thanks for reading

That looks great CAYO!!! I look forward to seeing how it progresses. :)

Here are some updates that I've done for my tank, if you want more details you can jump over to my EDGE build thread in my sig.

I've finally gotten around to adding 2 20W 50/50 Coralife bulbs to my stock hood!!! In order to do this I have to use my canister filter. the canister filter just holds carbon though, no filter-floss or bio-media. I made a special spray bar for the return, this should keep the water aerated :) The spray-bar has a rubber band on it so that I can easily set exactly how far it is above the water. One of the pictuers also compares my in-tank light to the midday MD sun. Its not as bright as the air, but perhaps its as bright as a couple feet underwater in the midday sun? Get my jive??? :)

4875284915_1808dbf0ca.jpg

4875890962_e80bffa7d0.jpg

4875890310_44868a30e1.jpg

4875889994_5373e0d715.jpg

Here's my tank. Lighting is 4 CW and 4 RB Cree's mounted on aluminum angle that goes around the lip of the tank, plus 2 MR11 led bulbs, there's 25W heater I had lying around, and a Koralia Nano.

Currently there are 2 Zoa frags, plus a single polyp of something bright orange that I lost and a cup coral hitchhiker, several small feather dusters and 1 blue leg hermit.

4886499362_848acc0570_z.jpg

4885905119_ebd68468fb_z.jpg