ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

So a 50w Rena will fit in the ac20? I'll take a look at it!

I got the diffuser from Lowe's in the lighting department for the large ceiling fluorescent. Its used to diffuse fluorescent panels in drop down ceilings. I then cut it to size and put holes in the sides so it will attach to the mirror hangers.

Yes, the heater fits nicely in the hob filter. If you look at my thread, I believe you can see a picture of this. If not. I'd be more then happy to post one for you.

Thanks for the diffuser info. I kinda thought that was what it was, so thank you for confirming!

• Like 1

Does anybody know where or how to get replacement parts for the Edge? I'm specifically looking for an extra plastic top. I want to try out a different lighting mod setup but I don't really want to tear apart my current one.

I put some aragonite in the tank, mixed with some sand from one of my established tanks. I'm currently trying different powerhead options. After several tries I think i may be going with a centrifugal pump that I took out of my BC14 with a hydor flo attached. I really wanted a random current in this tank, thus the flo!!! I'm currently trying different placement options so that it doesn't disturb the sandbed. This tank is so sensitive!!! even the ac20 makes quite a nice crater at full power.

What does everyone else use for their supplemental flow?

• 1 month later...

Hey just wanted to show pictures from 2 days ago..... looks really different now.

Major water damage to my house from an upstairs toilet. Contractors turned up the heat in my house to 99 degrees... guess what happened. I should have bought the chiller!

My hammer is dead and I'm hoping to save the rest. Any body had experience with insurance companies on the lost of their tanks?

Believe it or not.. I had close to $1000 worth of corals in this little tank. Shocked the hell out of me after I added up the receipts.

post-50722-1276448222_thumb.jpg

post-50722-1276448245_thumb.jpg

post-50722-1276448271_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigg62

2 month old Fluval edge

new to reef tanks,

green stripped watermelon shrroms,

purple shrooms

GSP frag

and a weird acan looking thing (cant remember name)

1 peppermint shrimp

2 oce clowns

1 porcelin crab

various hermits and snails

reguarless of what people say i tried the LED MR-11 they suck, not enough light and not enough spread across the tank so i broke down and bought a 20" 50/50 PC and so far its all thriving

in the process of building a refugium/sump hardest part is figuring out how to pump the water down into it....

Another thought...

What would stop us folks who are attempting led mods of sought from adding a third led, perhaps blue, between the existing leds? Now, I'm no electrician, so please, correct me if i am wrong, but as long as the total wattage is below 20w, and the bulb is 12v, I believe it can be wired in to the existing lighting.

I bought a frag of duncan, favia, and was given a freebie frag of Pocillopora, and I'm now hell bent on adding more light, but still not comfortable enough in my abilities to do a real-deal led build.

Gotta be honest.. all the people at the MR frag show this weekend agreed that us "Edgers" have quite the challenge on our hands.

Input please!!!!

As far as the chiller situation, I really think I am going to dedicate an ice cube tray to some RO water, and just keep my salinity closely monitored while adding my "cooling cubes". May even put a small bottle of SW in the freezer, just to keep it chilled. Probably best to add any of the aforementioned items through the filter compartment so as to not shock the actual tank...

Pics to come of my new additions.. waiting for my Duncan to feel a little less shy first, lol!

danielle

i am an electrician and its acctually not based on the total wats, its based on the amps going through the circut.......i wouldent sudgest it since its not rated for it... definatly a fire potential

post-53335-1276560195_thumb.jpg

post-53335-1276560215_thumb.jpg

Polscot: Welcome! Tank looks great! Very unique aquascaping...

tigg62: That's a shame.... I would inquire with the insurance company. You would probably be entitled to a claim since your tank and its inhabitants are considered contents of your home. I would just check your deductible amount first to see if it would even be worth it. I know my homeowners insurance carries a $1000 deductible.

Polscot: Welcome! Tank looks great! Very unique aquascaping...

tigg62: That's a shame.... I would inquire with the insurance company. You would probably be entitled to a claim since your tank and its inhabitants are considered contents of your home. I would just check your deductible amount first to see if it would even be worth it. I know my homeowners insurance carries a $1000 deductible.

My Home Owners did not cover it. But the Servpro clean up crew, who turned the heat up, will.

Now I just need my tank to recover, so I can add things back.

Edited by tigg62
2 month old Fluval edge

new to reef tanks,

green stripped watermelon shrroms,

purple shrooms

GSP frag

and a weird acan looking thing (cant remember name)

1 peppermint shrimp

2 oce clowns

1 porcelin crab

various hermits and snails

reguarless of what people say i tried the LED MR-11 they suck, not enough light and not enough spread across the tank so i broke down and bought a 20" 50/50 PC and so far its all thriving

in the process of building a refugium/sump hardest part is figuring out how to pump the water down into it....

i am an electrician and its acctually not based on the total wats, its based on the amps going through the circut.......i wouldent sudgest it since its not rated for it... definatly a fire potential

I have the Stunner LED lighting strips.

Two 18-8000K 6-453nm LED Strip, two 453nm Blue LED Strip and just added one 403nm Ultraviolet LED Strip. Thinking about adding one more 403nm Ultraviolet LED Strip, just because it makes the colors pop.

At $50 dollars a strip it adds up, but I can slowly add strips as my budget allows.

I have had my edge since christmas. Since using chemipure elite nitrates, nitrates and ammonia are at zero all the time. But my ph swings from 8.3 to 8.0 and dips into 7.8 from time to time.

Has anyone been able to keep their PH stable?

I.have had my edge since christmas. Since using chemipure elite nitrates, nitrates and ammonia are at zero all the time. But my ph swings from 8.3 to 8.0 and dips into 7.8 from time to time

Has anyone been able to keep their PH stable?

Is there a problem keeping the pH stable with this tank? Any ideas why?

I did wire up two additional 12V MR16 sockets in parallel to the two built-in ones to add some more blue LED's, but I did make sure the total amps stayed below what it would have been with the original halogen bulbs. Currently running total of 10 XR-E whites and blues in three sockets at a total of 14.2 watts, forget what the amps measured out to be. But it was definitely less than what the 12VAC transformer is rated for or the 20W in original halogen bulbs.

I'm using LED drivers that plug into MR16 sockets and can take 12V AC input from the socket and output constant current of 440-660 mA to 1-3 LED's per string.

Is there a problem keeping the pH stable with this tank? Any ideas why?

I think with the limited water surface area, much of which further is obscured from circulating air due to the hood and light bar, there can be poor mixing of oxygen into the water. My pH is normally at 8.0, but I've had it swing down to 7.3 once.

tigg62 , sorry to hear bout your tank; that really sux.

Good News, I will be setting my edge back up this weekend. Hope to have pics by sunday night :happydance:

i plan on picking up a fluval edge wednesday! im super excited.......

but what will i need for lighting?

MR11's , stunner strips............or is there something else?

all i know is i would like to use LED's, but i have no clue on what kind. i'd like to keep the fluval edge looking as stock as possible, while lighting the whole tank if i can.....

Also whats the best to cycle the tank? i have a biocube HQI fully cycled i plan to take alittle rock from that, and i'll probaly buy some rock also to fit my rock scape needs. should i use water from a water change to help cycle my edge when i get it??

has anyone used black sand in their fluval edge?? im thinking about it.......

also has anyone painted the back of the fluval edge? any pics if so?

thanks all;

mike pevine

tigg62 , sorry to hear bout your tank; that really sux.

Thanks... somethings survived. Gotta love Zoanthands!!!

Good News, I will be setting my edge back up this weekend. Hope to have pics by sunday night :happydance:

post-50722-1278125705_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigg62
i plan on picking up a fluval edge wednesday! im super excited.......

but what will i need for lighting?

MR11's , stunner strips............or is there something else?

all i know is i would like to use LED's, but i have no clue on what kind. i'd like to keep the fluval edge looking as stock as possible, while lighting the whole tank if i can.....

Also whats the best to cycle the tank? i have a biocube HQI fully cycled i plan to take alittle rock from that, and i'll probaly buy some rock also to fit my rock scape needs. should i use water from a water change to help cycle my edge when i get it??

has anyone used black sand in their fluval edge?? im thinking about it.......

also has anyone painted the back of the fluval edge? any pics if so?

thanks all;

mike pevine

I painted mine yesterday, but went with the usual black. on the lighting me ,as well as a few others have found that if you move the light away from the back of the tank you get better coverage. I used the maxspect 60w LED and mounted it to the inside of the lid. I did however piece two hoods together to make the hood cover more of the top of tank to get better light spread. hope to have pics up tomorrow, but that is what i said last week. :huh:

pitchers here : http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2910306

Edited by jbb_00

Here is my edge. It should be called frankenstein. Won't be keeping it in this form much longer.

Lighting Current T5HO 36 watt 50/50

Circulation - Vortech MP10

Filtration - 5 pounds LR, chaeto in makeshift fuge in filter, chemipure elite

Livestock - Clown, cleaner shrimp, 2 hermit, 1 nassarius, 1 snail, 1 pom pom crab, coco worm, feather duster

Corals - Xenia, Zoas, finger leather, trumpet, montipora capricornis, acan, cloves, paly, ricordea

Water has been perfect since adding chemipure. Ph swings from 8.3 to 7.9 Been using Purple up for about 2 months. Seen a little more coralline growth but not a ton.

Waiting for best solution to keep stock look then I will ditch the T5's. Going to be testing a lot with some chaeto, in filter, on a reverse light schedule to see if that will tackle my ph swings.

You can laugh if you want to. That is cardboard to block the "fuge" light so I can sleep at night.post-49600-1278632446_thumb.jpg

ortega: SOOOO glad to see you have an mp10. i just bought one the other day and am debating on where to place it.. Are you happy with your placement, bc i was thinking of that spot, or in the back upper left hand corner. Can you please share which speed/setting combination you use? Also, did you use that little rubber spacer and those "support" stickers?

I've added so much stuff to my tank in the last week and a half.. pics to follow, hopefully tomorrow, on my thread!

Thanks so much,

Danielle

Edited by picoD

I think I need to move it around some more to find the right spot. However the flow is ridiculous so anywhere you place it I'm sure it will be fine. Experiment a little and keep us posted. In the manual they talk about the noise issue which concerned me at first. From what I found is that if you are completely off target the thing will vibrate and make a ton of noise. This is hard to do though because it makes sense to line up the dry side and wet side. I would suggest moving it off target just so you know what this noise and vibration sounds like. Then line it up right to where it makes as little noise as possible. From what I have gathered either the noise reduces or you just get used to it. Right now I set it to Tidal Swell Mode at about 4 or 5 and then go into night mode. Before a water change I crank it up to stir up the sand bed.

Also I placed it a bit high in order to agitate the surface so I can get more oxygen in the water and keep my ph stable. However I will be testing my ph in the morning before lights on to see if the makeshift fuge keeps my ph stable. good luck!!

I did use the spacer.

Edited by ortega

Here's a few photos of my Edge - my first SW tank, so far just cycling LR&LS for about a week now.

-running a K nano with stock filter minus biomax (probably put a purapad in there too)

50w heater and the stock halogen lights.

ordering 1 or 2 50/50 coralife, a few blue LED strips and MR16 sockets as well as the LEDs (dstruong is helping me with those, thanks buddy).

I like how there is still much experimenting with the Edge, especially with the lighting, but there also seems to be strengthening unification at how to do this tank properly :)

have been interested in reefing for awhile now, and on impulse decided to take the plunge with the Edge (couldn't resist), although I was about to get a BC14.

So far so good - water is crystal clear with seemingly good flow throughout the tank from the k nano. Small algae growth starting directly under the halogens spotlights. A few hitchhikers have been observed, a small maroon dendro as well as worms that have been tunneling from the sand into my LR leaving mucus-sand trails behind (fascinating), as well as a few tiny snails and other worms.

Will probably be keeping softies with a CUC, maybe a perc or YWG. I'm intrigued by symbiotic relationships, possibly with the lighting upgrade I may get a bubbletip in the future (I've seen one in an Edge, although the lighting was T5, and not confined to the stock hood as I want to keep it). Although this is maybe, I understand that nem's are tricky to keep and possibly require more light.

I was thinking of starting a tank thread through my trials and tribs with the Edge as many of the others threads on the Edge have helped me out, possibly I might help others as well, hey!

Tank inside is a little dirty as some gunk appeared on the sides after LS settled that I got mostly with a razor, but still waiting on my nimble nano.

4q5unl.jpg

2wpjdk0.jpg

3518fph.jpg

hey fellow EDGE owners, I wanted to start a quick discussion about what we do for oxygenating the water. I'm more then suspicious that a lack of aeration is what causes our ph swings. Here are my thoughts, i'd love to hear others though.

We have a very small surface area for gas exchange, also we can't simply add an airstone to the tank because the bubbles will likely get trapped under the top glass. A few days ago I stuck a small skimmer (made for the BC14) in without the collection cup. In theory this should keep the water aerated but still contain all the bubbles :) So far the bubbles are completely contained and I'm waiting to see if there are any other benefits.

thoughts?