Pod Your Reef

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

Been reading lots and well, I started my Edge tank about a two weeks ago and want to take this really slow. Currently just have aragonite sand bed and water at 1.025, temp at 79 degs. K....so Lighting??? Are we ok with just MR16s and blue led strips all of which fits under the hood? So which LED mod plans are out there? Im wanting to build lighting good enough for corals. Lemme know.

Edited by robcurtis2

Just wondering if any of you have tried to replace the mr11 sockets with Gu10 sockets. If you can fit 3-4 in there that would be 9-12 watts of Leds. That would be enough for any softies... Just a thought.

Just found This

Edited by Mitch619
Hinesassociates
hi guys, just doing my research before i dive into a fluval edge nano reef. almost read all the pages lol my question is:

2x mr 11 or mr 16 leds

2 -4 led strips

1x coralife 50/50 10w

is this enough lighting to do some soft corals? ultimetly i just want some soft corals a clown fish and maybe a shrimp

or would it be more wise to remove the swing arm. and add 2x coralife 50 50 20w only? and leds for a moonlight?

i dont mind modding and making a bigger hood. but if i could keep it stock id love too

one more silly question i have is: does it matter if the lighting is sitting directly over the opening on top of the water or is it the same if its sitting over ontop of the glass?

thanks

Most likely that would be enough for softies. At least from the research Ive done. Really depends on the LED strips you use too. I know there are a few people with nice setups that use the 5050 coralife bulbs. I actually think I saw one where someone used 3-4 in their hood (He may have extended his hood). The coralife will definitely help. Although it will have to be replaced from time to time where the LED's should last a long time. Placement of the lights are kinda more preference than anything else. You can put the lights over the glass if you want. Only thing is that you want coverage over as much of the tank as possible. Also you would loose the stock look if you did that. I tried a bunch of different light setups before I finally decided to go with a DIY LED setup. Still working on it too...

Been reading lots and well, I started my Edge tank about a two weeks ago and want to take this really slow. Currently just have aragonite sand bed and water at 1.025, temp at 79 degs. K....so Lighting??? Are we ok with just MR16s and blue led strips all of which fits under the hood? So which LED mod plans are out there? Im wanting to build lighting good enough for corals. Lemme know.

I tried a couple MR16's and couldnt find one I liked that had the spread I wanted. At one point I had 4 MR11's in there and still wasnt really working for me, so I decided to go DIY. Not done yet, but Ill post my plans when I am.

Just wondering if any of you have tried to replace the mr11 sockets with Gu10 sockets. If you can fit 3-4 in there that would be 9-12 watts of Leds. That would be enough for any softies... Just a thought.

Just found This

I havnt tried Gu10, but I did do 4 MR11's and a couple blue strips. It was pretty bright, but it just didnt do it for me. Decided to go DIY. Also I currently have a innovative marine 8W that is working pretty well while I build my LED's. I would probably just use that except its only like 14k and I want more 20k look. I did manage to get it to fit with the stock hood though and it was super easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people,

I just bought me a fluval edge.

Now i am wondering, since i saw all those lightning mods for those edge's.

I was looking around and now i found this one, the AquaBeam 500 MiniLED Lighting Tile,

I found them on this website www.americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html

The only problem is daylight is 4 X 10,000K (white) nad the night light is blue. I think i will still need some blue leds. the spread is 35,56 cm the fluval edge is 43 cm.

I think the price is doable since if have seen more expensive mods passing by.

Now i was wondering what u people are thinking about those lights?

Or maybe u guys got any other great new options?

Thank u already

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. here's what I've got in mine.

HOB Filter: Chemipure Elite and Purigen

Water Flow: 2 Tom mini internal filters with the internal filter part removed.

Lighting: Stock LED fixture from the 12 G version (39 white, 3 blue) and 3 ecoxotic ecopico LED Strips (w/b/w)

Corals: Mushrooms (Red / Purple), Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Purple Cloves, Frogspawn, Montipora Cap, Zoanthids

Inverts: Peppermint Shrimp, Black n White Feather Duster and a super awesome Aiptasia! :lol:

Feather Duster

IMAG0651.jpg

Mushrooms

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

Top: I have the LED strips out of the hood but as you can see it doesnt take up much space.

IMAG0684-1.jpg

FTS

IMAG0736.jpg

Edited by Vortex

Lighting: Stock LED fixture from the 12 G version (39 white, 3 blue) and 3 ecoxotic ecopico LED Strips (w/b/w)

Corals: Mushrooms (Red / Purple), Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Purple Cloves, Frogspawn, Montipora Cap, Zoanthids

Inverts: Peppermint Shrimp, Black n White Feather Duster and a super awesome Aiptasia! :lol:

Feather Duster

IMAG0651.jpg

Mushrooms

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

Top: I have the LED strips out of the hood but as you can see it doesnt take up much space.

IMAG0684-1.jpg

FTS

IMAG0736.jpg

Looks sweeeeet! So am I the only one that can't figure out how to use Purigen and Chemi both in my AC20? The water just spills out of the intake side? Did you have to shrink it? Are you using the inTank media basket?

Thanks! I initially started with the hydor pico but since i wanted to have one onn each side, the flow was too much for the sand bed. So instead of putting them at the lowest settings I simply bought these two and they work good.

Feather Duster

IMAG0651.jpg

Mushrooms

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

IMAG0684-1.jpg

FTS

IMAG0736.jpg

wow nice set up. I love the feather duster.

thanks dipg.

yes that feather duster is kinda cool i think.it opened up as I was getting the purple mushrooms and I didn't hesitate on getting it. I hadn't seem one that color.

Hello everyone :P

I remember checking this thread well over a year ago when I started marines, I've since set up my EDGE again due to space limits after shutting down my larger tank, and thought I'd post it here. :)

FYI, I live in the UK, but this forum's awesome at providing ideas and info on the EDGE builds :)

So far I'm running with the stock lighting arm (My EDGE is a first-series model, MR11 sockets, no LED bar) with the replacement LEDs that Hagen make for the EDGE, 10k rating, they do a pretty decent job actually, but I'm thinking on purchasing some of these EcoPico LED strips and importing them, it won't cost that much. Will I just need a US to UK adapter or will I need a voltage transformer too?

my night lighting/actinic is a TMC Flexi-blue LED strip which I wrapped around a food container lid which was zip-tied to the light arm.

Filtration is a cut-to-size piece of filter floss, with some pura-pad on top of that, with Purigen and Seagel bags sitting on top of that. circulation is a Koralia Nano, although I may invest in an MP-10 very soon, and there's a Hydor 50w heater in there too.

I purchased some branching reef bone and live sand to seed it so I don't get any nasties, and build up my scape which I'm pretty happy with, as it's nice and low. My intention with this tank is to keep some simple NPS corals, like Sun corals and a few gorgonians, and maybe one or two LPS as well, maybe hammers/torches.

Stocking at the moment is the CUC, which consists of 1 scarlet hermit, one turbo and 3 small nassarius snails, and one baby OC Clown. I also have a small Dendro frag in there which is feeding, but very finicky.

Here's some pictures for the EDGE people :P

n4cur.jpg

dw56co.jpg

2zrnc5u.jpg

whid2.jpg

33ws5dj.jpg

d4hsy.jpg

post-66856-1332279043_thumb.jpg

FishyFishy!

My Fluval Edge with 15 Gallon Sump

IMG-20120317-00510.jpg

IMG-20120311-00492.jpg

IMG-20120311-00494.jpg

IMG-20120318-00511.jpg

IMG-20120318-00512.jpg

IMG-20120319-00001.jpg

IMG-20120319-00002.jpg

IMG-20120319-00003.jpg

IMG-20120318-00515.jpg

Equipment -

200W Fluval Tronic Heater

Tunze 9002 Protein Skimmer (not pictured)

20 X 16 X 15 glass sump

TLF 150 phosban reactor for Chemi-pure elite (not pictured)

Tunze ATO

1 Koralia Nano powerhead

Oceanic BioCube 29 stock return pump

DIY Ikea LED's (Until CREE's arrive - Ordered a 12 LED kit from Rapid LED).

Stock -

So far 5 small blue legged hermits, 5 snails, and one Blue Devil Damsel. No coral until the CREE's are installed.

I custom made the overflow out of the exsiting stand.

Full build process can be viewed here:

Fluval Edge with 15 gallon sump build thread

Edited by FishyFishy!
My Fluval Edge with 15 Gallon Sump

IMG-20120317-00510.jpg

IMG-20120311-00492.jpg

IMG-20120311-00494.jpg

IMG-20120318-00511.jpg

IMG-20120318-00512.jpg

IMG-20120319-00001.jpg

IMG-20120319-00002.jpg

IMG-20120319-00003.jpg

IMG-20120318-00515.jpg

Equipment -

200W Fluval Tronic Heater

Tunze 9002 Protein Skimmer (not pictured)

20 X 16 X 15 glass sump

TLF 150 phosban reactor for Chemi-pure elite (not pictured)

Tunze ATO

1 Koralia Nano powerhead

Oceanic BioCube 29 stock return pump

DIY Ikea LED's (Until CREE's arrive - Ordered a 12 LED kit from Rapid LED).

Stock -

So far 5 small blue legged hermits, 5 snails, and one Blue Devil Damsel. No coral until the CREE's are installed.

I custom made the overflow out of the exsiting stand.

Full build process can be viewed here:

Fluval Edge with 15 gallon sump build thread

:o this looks so badass! I wish my setup looked like this!!

FishyFishy!
:o this looks so badass! I wish my setup looked like this!!

Thanks! My CREE's should be arriving any day now and I can't wait. I have a tank full of frags to throw into this edge. I have all of these to frag out of my bedroom tank:

GaylesTank2.jpg

Thanks! My CREE's should be arriving any day now and I can't wait. I have a tank full of frags to throw into this edge. I have all of these to frag out of my bedroom tank:

GaylesTank2.jpg

*insert drool*

Hi all, sorry that i've seemed to drop off the face of the planet..

I have continued reading but haven't posted much of anything. I enjoy the seeing the updates on everyones' Edge's.

Here's a current shot of my Edge. Hope you enjoy.

post-49764-1332947016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Riley007
Hi all, sorry that i've seemed to drop off the face of the planet..

I have continued reading but haven't posted much of anything. I enjoy the seeing the updates on everyones' Edge's.

Here's a current shot of my Edge. Hope you enjoy.

post-49764-1332947016_thumb.jpg

Be careful with that float valve! I had a snail hop on my auto top of floater and put 3 gallons on my floor and diluted out my tank. Good thing it was only a 3 gal back-up of RO water, but my lord it was still depressing and stained my ceiling on the floor below!

Be careful with that float valve! I had a snail hop on my auto top of floater and put 3 gallons on my floor and diluted out my tank. Good thing it was only a 3 gal back-up of RO water, but my lord it was still depressing and stained my ceiling on the floor below!

I've got a 2nd one in the sump so if the water level in the lift (pump) chamber drops it shuts off the pump as well. (There is an ATO which keeps the level otherwise).

Ok so here is my Edge

EQUIPMENT

Fluval heater

Zoo med 501 canister filter hidden in back cover

JBJ Unibody 54 watt LEDs

LIVESTOCK

Two Harlequin Shrimp

5 or 6 hermits

3 or 4 bumblebee snails

2 astreia snails

small neon green zoo fraq

small frogspawn frag

small galaxea frag

orange metallic mushroom

pulsing xenia frag (but i don't think its going to make it)

couple of feather dusters

and once a month a small chocolate chip starfish for a short period of time

FUTURE PLANS

Just adding more livestock and after I saw fishyfishy's sump I am totally doing that!!! lol

And before yall say anything i know my tank is trashed had a bout with some slime and haven't taken new pics since I cleaned lol

post-71641-1333074070_thumb.jpg

post-71641-1333074085_thumb.jpg

post-71641-1333074102_thumb.jpg

post-71641-1333074127_thumb.jpg

post-71641-1333074153_thumb.jpg

post-71641-1333074163_thumb.jpg

post-71641-1333074173_thumb.jpg

post-71641-1333074216_thumb.jpg

Edited by jlee76
Looks sweeeeet! So am I the only one that can't figure out how to use Purigen and Chemi both in my AC20? The water just spills out of the intake side? Did you have to shrink it? Are you using the inTank media basket?

thanks manaz, Well put the chemipure in first (no water in the hob) then the purigen. started the filter on the lowest setting and cranked it up . Works well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys Im Bunce and I'm new to the nano thing. I found this thread on google and it has helped me so much so i decided to join. I cannot for the life of me, however, work out what FTS is! sorry for not being hip with the online lingo but if someone could kindly lest me know without making me look like a fool it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway i have a 3000L reef tank (yes i know i shouldn't be on a nano site) and now i have started a reef nano which i have invested a lot of time learning how to keep sps in it. I have gathered info from this thread and I'm currently building a refugium for the tower section to put a nano skimmer, fiji mud, live rock and macro algae with a light.

when i get photos ill put them up.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. you all contributed to my ideas and I'm sure to please when i get photos up

bunce.