Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

Some of you may have seen my tank thread and my lighting plans.

It seems that may have changed completely, luckily I didn't invest much in it (the parts were ordered before I got the tank and were cheap).

I sent an email off to www.aquastyleonline.com inquiring about a 6 dimmable lamp led kit. I heard back today, they said they can't do a dimmable 6 lamp (which I asked for), odd because even non-dimmable supposedly doesn't support 6 but they sell a kit that way. Oh well, I can work with 7.

Depending on how this works, it may be the way to go for us Edgers. Anyhow, still waiting to hear back on how this will work and how much. I expect it to be about $50 for the complete kit which is a bolt together affair pretty much. I plan on changing the heatsink though.

I will keep everyone informed throughout the process. Including hood mods to make it look decent. It won't look stock, but I want to keep it looking classy.

Other future plans, AC50 mod, which I will document so others see what is required and probably a better heater. Not happy with the one I have. Beyond that, I'm just waiting on my cycle and some aquascaping.

Edited by LeslieAnn
  • 3 weeks later...
HI, I am new and just got an edge for my birthday and for the life of me can not figure out how the Coralife 50/50 are connected or what is used.
It's a completely separate system from the stock system.

It's just a simple AC lamp system,

Let's try to be a little more helpful no?

If you want to install power compacts, you will need to purchase and mount the appropriate socket under the hood. There are loads of different ways to do this, and lots of different lighting options. Many people are loving the LED options because they are able to be completely hidden. Others like myself simply drilled a hole in the side of the hood and installed one or more regular sized porcelin sockets and use those screw in bulbs. If you are going that route, you would do well to remove the swing arm light assembly entirely, which you can do with a little phillips head screwdriver and little bit of patience. This will give you a large, clear area under the hood to work with. There are lots of threads detailing the modifications further, try searching the site for options.

USCUBA2_2001

wow really? I was more interested in how what type of socket was used and how the wiring was done (ie splicing wires)

Let's try to be a little more helpful no?

If you want to install power compacts, you will need to purchase and mount the appropriate socket under the hood. There are loads of different ways to do this, and lots of different lighting options. Many people are loving the LED options because they are able to be completely hidden. Others like myself simply drilled a hole in the side of the hood and installed one or more regular sized porcelin sockets and use those screw in bulbs. If you are going that route, you would do well to remove the swing arm light assembly entirely, which you can do with a little phillips head screwdriver and little bit of patience. This will give you a large, clear area under the hood to work with. There are lots of threads detailing the modifications further, try searching the site for options.

thank you acid lamp for your more detailed respond.

wow really? I was more interested in how what type of socket was used and how the wiring was done (ie splicing wires)

thank you acid lamp for your more detailed respond.

I was a bit hesitant to go hacking my Fluval's lighting at first, too, but it's much easier than you probably think.

You need (something like) this:

http://goo.gl/9KSWz

And:

http://goo.gl/Fbba5 - though this isn't the exact thing - ask someone to get the right size gauge for the wires for the socket above

Then some electrical wire - I can't find the link but essentially the shortest length of black electrical wire they offer in a sealed package, something like 6' was the shortest I found.

Finally:

http://goo.gl/Fc9mr

Connect the wire to that plug, connect the other end to the socket, making sure you connect white to the positive and the black to the negative using the twists. Plug your mini-compact fluorescent 50/50 Coralife (or what have you) in.

What I did then was just use a couple zip ties THROUGH the loops of the 50/50 and attach them to the stock lighting arm so it hangs over the water. Run the line through the back of the Fluval, plug in and enjoy!

It's about a $30 job, but it's not awesome... it'll do. Over time the zip ties will corrode and practically fall apart, so check them every few weeks since zip ties are dirt cheap anyway and it's easy to replace. Also, clean the bulbs as not only will it lengthen the lifespan but the salt creep lowers the light output significantly.

I ended up buying the nanocustoms LED unit. Some people squeeze two of the 50/50s in, some people run the longer 50/50s lengthwise, etc.

Some people need more help, some do not.

The wiring part was exactly what I answered, it's entirely separate, I.E not connected. Take a compatible socket, splice it onto an old extension cord.

Hey everyone. Has anyone experienced a crack in their Edge? Today while doing a water change, I was in in the bathroom pouring out dirty water, I heard a pop and on the top of my glass there was a 2-3 inch crack. Nothing was on top of it, or hit it, I figure it was some random glass impurity that finally broke. Some water is squeaking out of it and producing salt creep but not any large amounts (holds breath). I need to call Hagen as its only 7 months old. Looks like I may be upgrading to a new tank....Anyone had your tank crack?

EDIT: I called Hagen and within 5 mins they had my information and are sending me a replacement tank, SUPER HAPPY. But I'm actually going to take the top off my current Flu-val to make it a rimless cube.

Like these people:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech...hrimp-tank.html

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversio...hp/t254466.html

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049141

So I would recommend to anyone in the future if your top glass breaks or cracks, get Hagen to mail you a new one and salvage the old one into a rimless omgomgomg Lemonade out of Lemons

Edited by hotshot619
USCUBA2_2001
Some people need more help, some do not.

The wiring part was exactly what I answered, it's entirely separate, I.E not connected. Take a compatible socket, splice it onto an old extension cord.

Since I am new and I do not believe in fighting on forums all I going to say is. if some one askes a question and all you have to answer is it it's simple. it 's seperate unit etc you are better off not posting any thing at all in response. remember the only dumb question is the one not asked.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys what type of filter media do you all have in your AC 20? It's too small to turn into a fuge so cheato is out of the question. Now I figured since I don't have lots of live rock in there that I would use chemi pure elite and seachem matrix combo for chemical and added biological filtration. plus the poly floss stuff. What do you all think of the idea?

Set my edge up a whole ago. I fit an AC 50 in it and built a led light from aquastyle into the hood. I'll get some pics up later. Awesome little tanks they are.

I've been thinking about the ac50 mod for a while now, that would be very helpful if you could post some pics with exactly what you did!

So let me start by saying I love this little tank. I liked it from the first time I saw it but was afraid of all the mods and didn't see any good info until I ran across this thread and the aquastyle website. So I purchased the 14 dimmable kit from aquastyle an extra canopy and an AC 50 an AC 50 media basket along with a submersible 10w halogen light. I cut the canopy which I did after a 13 hour shift at work so it looks not the best. But it allowed me to add the led right into the canopy keeping the loom of the tank.

I cut some Plastic and squeezed the 50 in there I run chempure cheato and floss it's simple and it works.

Stocking: 1 firefish

1 black outlined false perc

3 sexy shrimp

1 pom pom

Lots of snails and

a penny gorgonian reef cleaners

A maxi mini from live aquarias divers den

The smallest crocea clam I've ever seen

A frogspawn from Bali

Gold streak cloves

Some Xenia

A monti confusa frag

Green cap and some macro from reef cleaners called flame angel I think

e090390b.jpg

300786d4.jpg

e65e65f7.jpg

Edited by DreTheReefer

Hola Folks,

So Im currently running my Edge as a FW but gonna dive in a turn into a SW. Im in the middle of nowhere Eastern WA and all we have here is a Petco for supplies. I first want to ask what ya'll think of the box salt water mix the sell (PETCO Real Ocean Water) by Catalina Water?

http://www.petco.com/product/11884/PETCO-R...n%20Water-11884

Second, Sand type???? At our local store they have the

-Nature's Ocean Marine White Sand (Grain size: 0.1 - 0.5 mm, Marine White Sand #0, SKU: 551520) - but I think is too fine with a Koralia Nano for flow also running.

-Nature's Ocean Aragonite Sand dry (Aragonite Sand #5, SKU: 1330403) - I think is to course for proper filtration

-Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand

Also how many pounds did ya'll put in? Inch in depth?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

RC

nice... I cant really tell, but were you able to fit the AC50 in the stock back compartment thing?

Yeah it fit I just had to remove some plastic tabs that held the arm and sand it down a bit