Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

It sounds like you are on the right track -

Take your time introducing the changes to your pair - make them gradually over time if they are used to 1.026 / 8 hours of light and 78 degrees you don't want to shock them. Make the changes over a couple of weeks and let them adjust to each step.

And yes - what you are doing is creating the conditions by which clown fish naturally spawn in the wild. Some green algae growth in the tank doesn't hurt either - most of my clowns had started spawning round the time the walls got some algae on them. It may be coinsidence or it may help trigger the instinct that there will be food for the fry.

It's funny because while this will help them trigger the spawning instinct there are plently of recorded cases of clowns spawning in reef systems without making any adjustments what so ever.

I'd go ahead and start giving them something to host right away - like a clay pot or tile near their favorite hang out. It would be more of a struggle later getting the pair to accept something like pot or tile if they've already selected another place for the eggs. My female used to toss the tile aside when I covered her favorite spot on the rocks.

And the 10g is perfect but only for about the first 3 weeks. You'll need to be able to move the juvi's into something larger with much better filtration that will be able to sustain them.

I appreciate the advice. I think its very interesting that you made the point about how algae growth might actually make them feel more comfortable to spawn. At my LFS they have several tanks with clownfish that are not for sale. These clowns have been living in these tanks from what I understand for many years. Their big 250 gallon tank that they started when they opened the store long ago has a very wild look to it and is packed full of huge 2ft corals and one of the biggest frogspawn I have ever seen. This tank has been allowed to go crazy without being trimmed and it has quite a bit of algae growth and ironically enough this is the only tank in which the clownfish spawn regularly.

As far as the changes in my tank go, I have an ATO system heading for me in the mail right now and as soon as that is set up and I can get a stabilized salinity, im going to record what my levels are at. Then slowly adjust my light, drop my salinity, and raise my temperature over a 2-3 week period and try to mimic the coming of summer for these little buggers.

Now the only worry I have is that my tank is primarily a reef tank and I try not to use alot of mechanical filtration so I have a very large CUC, should i be worried about them trying to snack on the fry? or should i just focus on actually GETTING them to breed and then worry about the other stuff later?

- Dave

Now the only worry I have is that my tank is primarily a reef tank and I try not to use alot of mechanical filtration so I have a very large CUC, should i be worried about them trying to snack on the fry? or should i just focus on actually GETTING them to breed and then worry about the other stuff later?

- Dave

Keep in mind that the conditions to induce breeding are not the optimal conditions for a reef.

My first pair has lived in a 20high with a light, heater, a koralia 2, LR and a clay pot for years. You could set up a brood stock tank like that pretty inexpensively.

I would just be concerned about the health of your reef. I do not keep corals in with my brood stock.

I'm a little confused on the cuc snacking on fry - if you mean whatever hatches in your tank - that is fine - they'd be gone by morning anyhow as the parents would eat them at first light anyhow.

Down the road you will need 3 seperate tanks - one for the brood stock - one for the larvae (up to 3 weeks) and something to handle grow out.

Realized I hadn't posted any progress on my own grow out thread build out.

But the news is that it's wet and cycling now! The pump I have now (dart) is great for supplying water to all of my tanks but it struggles to push water through my fluidized sand bed and I've ordered a new pump that will be soley dedicated to the sand bed filter.

The water temps stay perfect even with 100 degree out side temp because my room is built inside of the existing building and the shade it provides along with the insulation keep the water temps at 79 degrees.

Humidity is a factor so I cranked up the AC temp to 86 and set it to economy mode which comes on and checks the room temp every 10 minutes. It shuts right back off after 2 minutes but it circulates the room air which is keeping the humidity down. This weekend I'm installing an exhaust fan so that should help even more.

The second pump is on the way from DFS - had I known they are so slow in their shipping I would of probably selected something quicker then the free shipping option. I have no room to complain as the option did say it could take up to 7 days to get the item, I just never thought they'd actually take all 7 days. At least it's not holding up any progress.

hooligan_78

DFS sucks for shipping. They use that SmartPost ####. HATE it. I'm lucky when I order for Aqua Cave as they're only a state or 2 over. I actually got a package on Saturday and they didn't charge me any extra.

DFS sucks for shipping. They use that SmartPost ####. HATE it. I'm lucky when I order for Aqua Cave as they're only a state or 2 over. I actually got a package on Saturday and they didn't charge me any extra.

I just haven't dealt with them that much before - which is suprising since I do 90% of my hobby related purchases online. On the third day I called customer services just to see what's up since I didn't get the shipping notive that the order confirmation email told me to watch for and they just said "our shipping department is a little behind"

Again - I'm not complaining (well ok maybe a little) I've just been spoiled by the service I get from other vendors.

hooligan_78

That is seriously why I quit ordering from them. When I get most stuff in 3-5 days from most vendors, and they take 7-9 days, completely ridiculous. I #####ed about it too the first time it happened to me. If it's something I need relatively quick, I go to Aqua Cave, if not hurry I order from Marine Depot or BRS.

I learned my lesson - that's for sure. I have a lot of ordering to do here soon to. I mean I have to get back up pumps and equiptment because I can't just drive to my local store and pick the stuff up if something goes out on me. I've got to have spare pumps and stuff on hand.

Thanks guys...

I'm really stoked that the water temps stay around 79 - 80. We are in the peak of a heat wave - It broke 103 here at my place today and it's been 3 digits for the last couple of days. The room - being that it is insulated and being in the shed stays very comfortable. It must be the shade from the shed and the fact that it get's shaded air around the room from all sides.

I set the AC at 86 degrees on Economy mode and it comes on every 15 minutes and checks the temps. It never hits high enough to stay on but the air running for a few minutes 4 times per hour helps keep the humidity in check. I'm still going to install an exhaust fan but even as it is right now the humidity is around 60%. It's really not that bad considering the first few days I ran it without the AC and it hit 85%. Yuck - reminded me of Florida the only thing missing was the monster bugs.

Besides - once things start cooling off and I'm running a heater in there I'll need something to pull that air for sure.

My order from DFS finally came in this week - I really have nothing to gripe about the shipping option I picked said 7 days and they used all 7 that's for sure. Now it's just a matter of finding the time to get in there and install the new pump. Glad it's Friday - I"m thinking I'll knock off work early today and get in the fish room for a bit this afternoon.

Have you tried adding a stand-alone dehumidifier? I have one in my fish room downstairs. Since the room is in the house, it has central air. But I also use a dehumidifier and it has to be emptied every morning AND night - that's how much moisture it's removing from the air in a room that already has a/c. I got mine at Lowe's or Home Depot and it was under $400 for the larger one. You can set the humidity level on it and I have mine on the max setting. At our previous house, we had it set up so that it would drain outside and didn't have to be emptied. That was much more convenient! My husband just hasn't gotten around to setting it up like that here yet, but plans to. Really helps!!

baileybum1234
I have mine set up to drain thru the wall. Works great that way

Missed the last hatch due to been away with work. Another batch layed yesterday. I should be able to collect this batch. They seam to be laying every 10 days and hatching after 7-8. Larval tank ready. I will soak it in tap water for a couple of days and dry before the hatch. Im feeding the rottifersup. I need to change their bucket and mix some new salt water for them.

Here we go again!

Jarrett

Have you tried adding a stand-alone dehumidifier? I have one in my fish room downstairs. Since the room is in the house, it has central air. But I also use a dehumidifier and it has to be emptied every morning AND night - that's how much moisture it's removing from the air in a room that already has a/c. I got mine at Lowe's or Home Depot and it was under $400 for the larger one. You can set the humidity level on it and I have mine on the max setting. At our previous house, we had it set up so that it would drain outside and didn't have to be emptied. That was much more convenient! My husband just hasn't gotten around to setting it up like that here yet, but plans to. Really helps!!

right now the humidity isn't that bad - I know you guys in Florida are already starting out at 90% but I picked up a temp gauge that also shows humidity and it's staying really low (under 40%). I'm going to go as is for a little while and add the dehumidifier latter if I decide I need it.

Missed the last hatch due to been away with work. Another batch layed yesterday. I should be able to collect this batch. They seam to be laying every 10 days and hatching after 7-8. Larval tank ready. I will soak it in tap water for a couple of days and dry before the hatch. Im feeding the rottifersup. I need to change their bucket and mix some new salt water for them.

Here we go again!

Jarrett

It's never ending - be sure you keep a close on your pair - after a while you'll be able to look at the eggs and know when they are ready. I think my O's started 14 days apart and made their way down to 8 days over a year. If I pull the pot consistently on day 4 they will actually spawn before the last clutch hatches. It's crazy.

I have mine set up to drain thru the wall. Works great that way

That's the way to go and it wouldn't be hard for my to set one up that way either.

wow looks good, seems your on the right track, now all you need is to have those filled with tons of babies....

Thanks Man...

The cycle is in full swing - so I'm starting to hatch this week. By the time the babies are ready to go in the cycle should be done.

baileybum1234
Thanks.. they are pretty sweet. Wish I had more "grown up" pics of my snows.

Maybe one day I will have room for a pair. Havent seen them over here.

I know your the guys to ask about this: :D

Ok I have just paid over the odds but got my hands on 200ml of rottigrow and 100ml of rotigreen just in time for this hatch. (Never even seen/smelt the she stuff before).

I read on here some where you were mixing it into small bottles and freezing? I guess you use new salt water at what sg? Do you guys do the same to both products? and then it comes to using it.

Also do we know the difference between the 2?

Saw eggs this morning and I recon 2 days to go. But will keep an eye out just in case they hatch early.

Cheers,

J

Edited by baileybum1234
hooligan_78

RotiGrow is food for rotifers, RotiGreen products is for greenwater in your fry tanks. I freeze my excess, but don't dilute them. Gresham from Reed's told me to dilute before feeding, but never for freezing. I also heard from him that they are working on a greenwater companion for RotiGrow Complete.

RotiGrow is food for rotifers, RotiGreen products is for greenwater in your fry tanks. I freeze my excess, but don't dilute them. Gresham from Reed's told me to dilute before feeding, but never for freezing. I also heard from him that they are working on a greenwater companion for RotiGrow Complete.

^ Exactly...

I never dilute prior to freezing either - I just open the bag and pour straight into 8 or 9 of the 8 oz bottles (half filled) and freeze.

baileybum1234
^ Exactly...

I never dilute prior to freezing either - I just open the bag and pour straight into 8 or 9 of the 8 oz bottles (half filled) and freeze.

I gather you guys get a load of the stuff. I ordered 3 x 100ml (3.5oz) bottles.