SaltCritters.com

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Should be plenty....

Obviously depends on flow but that's what I'm using on my Brood stock system and I'm running 160g through that now.

hooligan_78

I'm using a mag 12 for my pump. The tanks are about 5.5' up and the return lines will be over 6' high, I figured split 3 ways, and being that high, probably a 100-150 gph through each one. I was talking to Tal Sweet and on his new setup, he's not skimming, said that he never got much skimmate on the ones he has skimmers on. Do you notice that as well? If so, I was thinking a good fuge in the sump and maybe and RDSB would suffice.

I get crazy skim mate out of mine. My skimmer is rated for 250g and I'm cleaning out the cup every other day. I couldn't imagine pulling it from my system. I did set my sump up with 60g actually a 20h and 40 breeder.

The tanks drain into the 20 which is raised 5" above the 40 - 20 hold biological filtration and overflows into the 40 which has mechanical, heaters and return. I wanted all the water volume I could get and that's what I could easily squeeze into the stand.

Funny that your daughter said that, my 4 years daughter is working on rhyming words and yesterday she says "glasses and basses, they both say asses." The misses and I look at each other and both started laughing. We didn't correct her because we were laughing so hard.

We didn't laugh to hard... didn't want to encourage that one. I could just imagine the conversation with her grandparents later on :lol: .

I remember following this thread in the 40 page area. Dang! 157 pages of amazing info.

Crasy isn't it... I can't believe it's been over 2 years since I've started this madness and I'm not over it yet... lol

For your 110g BRT's, how much water turnover are you going for per hour?

I don't know the exact - I'm using a reeflo dart which is 3600 gph if that's not enough I'll change the impeller to get it to 5200 gph.

Edited by Pickle010
I don't know the exact - I'm using a reeflo dart which is 3600 gph if that's not enough I'll change the impeller to get it to 5200 gph.

You can't change the dart impellers out unless going to the snapper, which is smaller. You will put too much strain on the motor. Now if you get a barracuda then it will be ok to go up to the hammerhead impeller

Edited by rrcg50
You can't change the dart impellers out unless going to the snapper, which is smaller. You will put too much strain on the motor. Now if you get a barracuda then it will be ok to go up to the hammerhead impeller

Your right I had it spun around.... that would be the next step for me would be to jump to the hammerhead.

Great work on the saltwater mating lounge!!! BTW, BRT? Big Round Tub?

Yeah...they are basically large rubber stock tubs that you can get a tractor supply stores.

For your 110g BRT's, how much water turnover are you going for per hour?

One of the things I noticed is that you mentioned the 110 brts - I'm using the 100g rubber maids - I like the rubber maids much better after seeing it sitting next to the 110 brt - I'm setting it on blocks and the bottom of the 100g RM is ribbed and looks much stronger then the 110 brt. If I was to go with the 110 I'd would want to do some additional support between the tub and blocks. It almost looks like it would sag.

Also - started gathering PVC odds and ends this week - doesn't look like you can walk into Lowes and just grab the 3" or 4" fitting that I need off the shelf. They don't even carry the PVC pipe. - off to the irrigation supply tomorrow.

Mine does

It's near the last isle in the right corner of the store. Not in the PVC isle. My lowes actually has up to 6" if I remember correctly

I actually use three inch drains on my broodstock system

Edited by rrcg50
US Marine Coral

You are absolutely right. I did a water test and it was very flimsy, so I will not be using them for babies, maybe I will use it for Live Rock.

You are right about the Rubbermaids. They are much sturdier and they already have a bulkhead drilled. I will be using these as well.

I'm leaning against using the pre-driilled drain. It's smaller then I want for and overflow and the tub would need to be elevated too high to use as a drain for my sump.

US Marine Coral

Good point. I would ideally like to have 2 drains. Are you going to drill the back of the tank then? Also, how long do you plan on keeping that many babies in that sized tank?

standpipe in the middle is way better that way you can adjust the height easily... 2 returns would work out great for flow as fry get in the 4-5month stage...

I'll be drilling the front of the tank right around the center - I don't want to mess with plumbing from underneath or behind for a couple of reasons - the bottom has a lot of ridges and I'd have to shave down an area to make that work - plus I"d have to raise the tub 2.5 feet to work with my 24" tall sump and the rim of the tubs would sit at around 5 feet making it more difficult to work in. All plumbing in this room will be visible and accessible from the front of the tanks to make them easier to modify / work on.

Just like I have my brood stock tanks drilled in the top corners for my drains I'm drilling these higher and in the sides as well. Right now I'm planning on going right through the rubber maid logo on the side. That should leave me with about 6" inside for my overflow and about 6" - 8" on the outside for my 2" pipe to run down to the 4" which will be 24" off the ground to account for my sump height. My Sump is 180g and I hope to use around 150g of it.

nice process on your new growout room. i got 4 pairs recently and i am maxed out for space. wife would have my you know what if i added more. maxed out at 15 pairs. hehe

what are you (or anyone else) keeping your broodstock and the fry temps at? i had my stock at 85 and the fry was 83. so i lowered the broodstock to 83. not sure if having that high was doing any good or not. i kinda think anything over 81 is gravy so 83 is a good set temp.

Are you going to paint the inside bottom of the BRT's white so you can keep them clean easier?

I was thinking of hitting the bottoms with some white krylon fusion.

In other news - had to order new seal kit for my reeflo - looks like it sat dry for a little too long.