SaltCritters.com

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

SWEET to hear Pickle! What pair is doing the nasty now? :happydance:

I've got a few pairs popping eggs and a few more that are cleaning like crazy. I'm thinking I'm going to see a lot more action here soon.

Must finish grow out room!

Sounds like things are going well. Here are Megan and Chris (my oldest renamed them) at just over a year. They are really amazing little guys. The clown to the right (Chris) is now noticeably smaller than the other one. I'm assuming he's the male. He started doing the shaky butt dance now and again. :) Oh, and they bite now...great. :lol: I have noticed that the female has more gradient shading of bright orange up to the top of her body where it's more darker orange. The male does not. I am still wondering how their colorings will end up. Thanks again for some awesome clowns.

My buddies:

dc3e6608.jpg

Post biting the #### out of me:

0c259a77.jpg

Thanks for the update Joe! I love seeing how they change and progress. Sounds like she is getting a little feisty. Have you tried swatting her on the snout with a rolled up news paper? :D

Seriously - looking forward to their 2 year update! I can't believe it's been that long already.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished up my electrical work this weekend. I've changed out plenty of outlets and breakers before but this was my first time plumbing new lines into an electrical box and I'll admit for the first time is was a little intimidating. But all went better then I expected. I took my time and wrote out my wire colors on the wall above my outlets, of course Lowes wouldn't have 12g black and white wire available to keep it easy so I had to go with Black green and Blue - but I kept it straight, killed the main and tested for stray voltage before installing my new breakers. Once that was said and done it all worked properly and I'm alive to continue on with the next phase of my project - plumbing!!!

I'm actaully getting to the point where I can envision stocking this room with hatches of juvi's - it's getting close!

OK... time for a better update to my progress with the grow out room build...

I built the room inside our shed. I guess it's a large shed - 30 x 40:

IMG_1421.jpg

And when I started it looked something like this in corner I was building in:

IMG_1416.jpg

As you can see I haven't put much effort into the exterior yet. But is all 2X4 construction with a 1/2 thick plywood roof so I can store some things above it:

IMG_1417.jpg

Here is the inside... I didn't choose the color - I just went cheap and combined whatever exterior miss tint paints they had marked on clearance at Lowes... I think it worked out pretty well:

IMG_1418.jpg

And here is the view from the back of the room towards the door:

IMG_1419.jpg

I ran three separate lines of electrical in the room so it can handle just about anything I want to do inside. This week I'm going to start on plumbing. I'll be picking up my 100 gallon black tubs and plumbing them into my old sump which was the base of my old grow out system in the house:

IMG_1420.jpg

That's it for now... I'll update more as I get further along.

Looking good Pickle! Congrats on the space. I hope to be able to create a space like that one day. First I have to get some of my clowns to breed. Good luck with the rest of the setup. I have room envy.

It's been a fun build out - I really enjoy doing the small construction projects like this. The scary thing is my wife see's what I'm capable of and starts getting ideas.

I know what u mean Pickle, I use to run my own carpentry business, it was.way before the misses and I got together, but I still know everything, anytime I construct anything I get a list of 5 more things she wants built, I always tell her to call my brother, who is a licensed contractor. Atleast when he builds it, it is up to current codes. Looking forward to seeing your room filled with tanks, and your tanks filled with fish. Are u planning on moving your entire setup to the new room?

Thanks Rudy... I did 3 coats primer and 3 of the exterior - with all the salt water I didn't want to leave anything to chance. I have enough invested in this and want to be sure it lasts.

Reefed - it's strictly going to be grow out in that room. I keep my pairs and hatch tanks in the house - once the fry are old enough to transfer out of the hatch tanks they'll be going into that room.

I may sneak a frag tank into it though. I still love my corals. :P

It feels like the holidays with all the online shopping I've been doing this week - I've got bulk heads / bio balls / led lighting on the way - It will be like Christmas morning opening up all the packages. Going to hit the tractor supply store for my 100g bins this week as well. I need to get some wet water moving in that room.

hooligan_78

Doesn' take long to burn through some money, does it?! If my old lady knew how much I spent over the weekend...would be killed!

Doesn' take long to burn through some money, does it?! If my old lady knew how much I spent over the weekend...would be killed!

LOL Yeah it goes fast and do I remember those days. Luckily I don't get any grief spending on the fish stuff.

US Marine Coral

Great job on the room! I wish you could build one for me and ship it up here. Lol

I am doing a new grow out as well. I currently use 40g breeder tanks. Just curious why you are going to use the 100g BRT's? How many are you plumbing together and what's your design going to look like? Thanks

Edited by US Marine Coral
Great job on the room! I wish you could build one for me and ship it up here. Lol

I am doing a new grow out as well. I currently use 40g breeder tanks. Just curious why you are going to use the 100g BRT's? How many are you plumbing together and what's your design going to look like? Thanks

It's going to be a mix of BRT's and Glass tanks.

The back wall will be my sump.

Left wall will host the BRTs on blocks - I'm mainly using them for the sheer volume and overall durrability of the tubs. In addition I can keep a lot of juvi's in a single 100g tub. 1500+ is what I'm going to target.

The right wall (with the door) will house glass tanks. As it is the BRT's will need to be placed and an agle due to space or possibly even go in sideways to leave room for the tanks on the right wall.

The tanks on the right wall will be 40bdrs and 20 longs and will be mostly used to display / separate the juvi's prior to getting packed for delilvery.

Oh... and to start it will be 3 BRT's / 4th will be added later.

It's going to be a mix of BRT's and Glass tanks.

The back wall will be my sump.

Left wall will host the BRTs on blocks - I'm mainly using them for the sheer volume and overall durrability of the tubs. In addition I can keep a lot of juvi's in a single 100g tub. 1500+ is what I'm going to target.

The right wall (with the door) will house glass tanks. As it is the BRT's will need to be placed and an agle due to space or possibly even go in sideways to leave room for the tanks on the right wall.

The tanks on the right wall will be 40bdrs and 20 longs and will be mostly used to display / separate the juvi's prior to getting packed for delilvery.

Oh... and to start it will be 3 BRT's / 4th will be added later.

when you say 1500+ in a tub is that the 100gallon tubs??? im planing on the same setup only i will have 4 100gallon rubbermaidtubs, 1 for a sump and 3 for grow outs, lets say grade a's in one grade b and c in another and the 3rd one all super snows,,, but thats a good amount of fry in one rubbermaid 1500+ dont you think?

Yeah... and that's a conservative number - I'm going to go slow stocking once I get it cycled but you should have no problem. In the end if you have the water volume and adequate filtration you should be fine.

I'm honestly more concerned about being able to separate by size rather then by kind. My goal is to keep the clowns close in size together and then divide them by type in the glass tanks on the opposite side once they are large enough to sell. Even in my smaller set ups I've noticed some clowns need to get promoted (larger dominant) and others demoted (smaller submissive) otherwise the smaller ones just never grow and get picked on. So the tanks are going to be more small / medium / large - they'll be easy to sort our later as perc's / o's / snows / b&w's etc...

I'm even considering an intermediate step of 20g longs for those that are ready to hit grow out but too small to mix into the population.

I'm not planning on any maroons but if I did I probably wouldn't hatch as much and dedicate a tub to them.

FishEyeAquaculture
when you say 1500+ in a tub is that the 100gallon tubs???

Oh yeah....easy, as Pickle says, that is a conservative number. Now, with that being said. You must have very aggressive mechanical and biological filtration. And be prepared for needing a lot of UV too.

cool, i was planning on keeping a few hundred in each 100 gallon tub, but what ill do is order an xl skimmer and extra liverock and see how that many do in one tub,, kinda really want to keep all 3 tubs with their own sump, but 6rubbermaid tubs just to have 3 filled with babies and the other 3 for filters seems like over kill,,,, uv im on that already just need the 100's of babies here soon, with the platniums and super snow pairs laying i should have that very soon....

Edited by oceancube
US Marine Coral

I just bought one of the 110g oval BTR's from Tractor Supply for $64.99. Great price for a container. I think I might miss being able to see fish thru the glass and only have top down views, but I will give it a shot since I'll be able to hold 1500+ babies in it. How would you recommend drilling/plumbing just one? Thanks

I'm going with 2" drain into a 4" line to accomadate multiple tanks. Depending on how many tanks you are going to set up you could get away with smaller.

Nothing like walking in the door from work and hearing your 6 year old say:

"Daddy, your box of ass-holes is here!"

IMG_1422.jpg

hooligan_78

So jealous. My would be operation is only a fraction of that and I'm constantly hearing how fish have taken over our storage room!

Mike, I'm planning on plumming my broodstock tanks in the next week or 2. I have 3 10g with 1" drains. Would a 2" mainline be enough?

*edit* lol at the ass-holes box!

Edited by hooligan_78