Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

We used closed spray foam on our building, no mold and the heat and ac rarely turn on.

when i move and have a dedicated shed/work building i will be doing this. also will put some solar panels up for electric.

when i move and have a dedicated shed/work building i will be doing this. also will put some solar panels up for electric.

I'm going with a standard r13 foam - but we are sealing the walls with a new high end mildew resistant killz. I just got back in from hanging 6 rolls.

Rich... I priced out solar at the end of the year and we will be going that route soon. Definitely by the time I build as big as Hyper did. ;)

Pickle010
Terra Bella Marine Aquaculture Facility? Sounds badass.

LOL... I don't even bother talking about it with anyone local outside of the Reef club - all the local farmers and hicks just get a cross eye'd glare when if I tell them that I"m breeding marine ornamental clowns. I don't think anyone would ever expect to see anything like that here.

In other news the pair spawning in my connected grow out appear to be motivating others to spawn. Several are cleaning like crazy and another pair spawned yesterday. Looks like we are getting back on track!

Pickle010
Glad to hear things are getting back in order. As for the hicks, tell 'em it's a "Nemo Farm." lol

You know what... they just might understand that!

LOL... I don't even bother talking about it with anyone local outside of the Reef club - all the local farmers and hicks just get a cross eye'd glare when if I tell them that I"m breeding marine ornamental clowns. I don't think anyone would ever expect to see anything like that here.

In other news the pair spawning in my connected grow out appear to be motivating others to spawn. Several are cleaning like crazy and another pair spawned yesterday. Looks like we are getting back on track!

Nice

Congrats

Are you till using the rack system or did you change that?

Pickle010
Nice

Congrats

Are you till using the rack system or did you change that?

I'm using the 160g brood stock system I built over the winter.

Just hung the last piece of sheet rock on my grow out room. Time to start taping and painting!!!

Pickle010

WOOO HOOOO...my true percs spawned again last night and the nest is twice the size of anything they had in the old tank. Looks like the new brood stock system and constant feedings are paying off! I'll post a quick video here in a little bit.

WOOO HOOOO....Thanks for all the great info pickles (and others) I had 4 pairs lay eggs today!!!! Regular ocellaris, Extreme snowflake, Grade A Picasso and my Sno..uhhh other grade A !!!!

Edited by Jasen
WOOO HOOOO....Thanks for all the great info pickles (and others) I had 4 pairs lay eggs today!!!! Regular ocellaris, Extreme snowflake, Grade A Picasso and my Sno..uhhh other grade A !!!!

4 pairs in one day? Flipping Awesome!

Post some pics! Something...

4 pairs in one day? Flipping Awesome!

Post some pics! Something...

Lights went out on top tanks before I could get a shot of the snowflakes but here is what I was able to get shots of (typicall crappy fish photos, sorry) and a shot of my broodstock system ( again top lights already switched off for the night)

and correction today was my B&W/Occy pair, snowflakes were yesterday.

Thanks again Pickles I couldn't have done it with all the usefull info in your thread....yep, its all you fault

post-64395-1336618552_thumb.jpg

post-64395-1336618560_thumb.jpg

post-64395-1336618569_thumb.jpg

post-64395-1336618577_thumb.jpg

post-64395-1336618779_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasen
Lights went out on top tanks before I could get a shot of the snowflakes but here is what I was able to get shots of (typicall crappy fish photos, sorry) and a shot of my broodstock system ( again top lights already switched off for the night)

and correction today was my B&W/Occy pair, snowflakes were yesterday.

Thanks again Pickles I couldn't have done it with all the usefull info in your thread....yep, its all you fault

Very cool... I'm digging the gorilla rack brood stock set up - what size tanks are you using on it?

Thanks Pickles, I actually ended up reinforcing the center of the gorilla rack and putting in extra joist every 12" or so to get rid of the sag and sprayed it all gloss black.

I made the tanks out of 1/4" cell cast arcylic but on Eric's tanks. They are 48x24x12" and I have four of them on the rank along with 2 100G BRT and a couple of 40 breeders off to the side.

Here are a few more shots from today...man, I thought my tanks were clean, but I never mess with the flower pots so they look pretty nasty.

I was sorta able to get a shot of the snowflake pair that spawned, the eggs are lower right on the tile.

post-64395-1336669618_thumb.jpg

post-64395-1336669624_thumb.jpg

post-64395-1336669631_thumb.jpg

post-64395-1336669638_thumb.jpg

Very cool - was wondering how you had supported them - I have a few of those racks and was thinking about incorporating a couple of them into my new grow out room. Looks like with some modifications they'll work out just fine.

So each of your tanks is roughly 60g and you have 2 per shelf? is that right?

that is correct... and the stand is 8' x 30" which is nice to have the 6" ledge in front of the tank to place things on but the 24" wide rack would have supported the tanks better.

And If you decide to build; my 1st two tanks had standard teeth or baffles between each section and was a flow throiugh design which ended up being a PITA! The fish were constantly swiming through and visiting the neighbors and I had to throttle back the flow to not overflow the 1 1/2 overflow box. With the V 2.0 tanks I drilled a few 1/8 holes in each divider and a bunch of 1/4 holes in the back to drain into a Calfo or full length overflow with two 1 1/2 drains and I am much happier with those tanks. Let me know if you want more pics or I can Pm you my number or email if you want to discuss it more.

J

I'm asking more for my proposed growout tanks - I was wondering how many 40bdr's I could fit on one of those shelf systems.

For my brood stock I did seperate compartments with individual returns and overflows and I love it. I can actually drain part of a tank and have the other two compartments still active. It's been working out great for me.

just measured, it looks like 5 40's would fit on each shelf with about 6" to spare.and the overhang about 3" on the front and back. I scored 12 40's with petco's last $1 gal sale. I made friends with the store manager and they just "happened" to have a huge surplus of 40's when the last sale launched.

• Like 1
just measured, it looks like 5 40's would fit on each shelf with about 6" to spare.and the overhang about 3" on the front and back. I scored 12 40's with petco's last $1 gal sale. I made friends with the store manager and they just "happened" to have a huge surplus of 40's when the last sale launched.

That's the way to go and what I'm waiting on before my next purchase... now 5 40's would be significantly more weight then what you currently have on those racks. It's what???... 200 gallons versus about 120 gallons that you have per shelf. DO you think it can handle that much more?

I would support the middle front and back of each shelf and maybe some extra supprot/joists under each shelf. ( I used a sideways 2x4 but a piece of metal welded in would be ideal) and that is actually one of my 40's on the very top self, I am thinking of running my r.o. line up there for top off and abnother 40' to mix saltwater in so I can use gravity & valves for top off and water changes.

For sure I'd have some extra support welded in - just so happens that have a buddy with some welding skills and a boss set of tools. Thanks for the input!

Thanks Pickles, I actually ended up reinforcing the center of the gorilla rack and putting in extra joist every 12" or so to get rid of the sag and sprayed it all gloss black.

I made the tanks out of 1/4" cell cast arcylic but on Eric's tanks. They are 48x24x12" and I have four of them on the rank along with 2 100G BRT and a couple of 40 breeders off to the side.

Here are a few more shots from today...man, I thought my tanks were clean, but I never mess with the flower pots so they look pretty nasty.

I was sorta able to get a shot of the snowflake pair that spawned, the eggs are lower right on the tile.

Very nice. Thats a lot of breeding power in a small space

Why is your skimmer cup light green?

Glibed,

I like to add water from the outlet of the local nuclear power plant to my broodstock, it's a great way to boost the genetic abnormalities in Amphiprioninae sp... just kidding....actually, I noticed that today as well and I am not really sure why it is more neon green than the usual pea soup. The only things I can think of are: I just added formula two small pellets (green) into the food rotation or I did add some Caulerpa (marco algae) to the system a couple of days ago that seems to be melting away rapidly, but I cleaned the entire skimmer today and I will see how it looks tomorrow.

J