Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

I had problems keeping my grow out at 79 with 3x 300w - I'm seriously rethinking my grow out plans for smaller systems rather then 1 large system.

So what are you thinking in terms of one large system?

So what are you thinking in terms of one large system?

I'm not... My current system is 200+ gallons and a pain in the ass to keep heated. I was considering doing smaller grow out systems around 100g each and just having more of them.

I had problems keeping my grow out at 79 with 3x 300w - I'm seriously rethinking my grow out plans for smaller systems rather then 1 large system.

I bought a mini split ac/heat pump. Keeps everything right where I need it to be. Got tired of bad heaters and replacing them every few months because they went haywire. Now I can work out in the garage in the summer or winter in comfort

I bought a mini split ac/heat pump. Keeps everything right where I need it to be. Got tired of bad heaters and replacing them every few months because they went haywire. Now I can work out in the garage in the summer or winter in comfort

im gonna do this when i move next year. isee a few successful breeders with systems in their garages and the added heat during the summer helps and the mini heatpump is a brillian idea. my basement is a bit cool all the time. i have my sump off the floor on a platform i built. and i just got some 1" solid foam insulation that i cut and taped to the outside of the sump. it helped out. now my temps that were under 81 are now a 1-2 degree's higher. now when i get my new heaters, they should have to work less. maybe ill go over board and insulate the return lines too. hehe

i wish there was something to heat large amounts of water like a chiller does. heaters have small surface area to work in large systems with a high turnover rate.

I saw someone use a tankless water heater on a large reef system. A bit overboard, but when you start dealing with 300+ gallon systems, then it might be a good option for stability.

Reefmaster1996

Are any of you guys in the Tampa bay area , if so I am interested in buying a pair of clowns, nothing fancy, maybe two percs.

Edited by Reefmaster1996
FishEyeAquaculture
Are any of you guys in the Tampa bay area , if so I am interested in buying a pair of clowns, nothing fancy, maybe two percs.

Check out Fish & Other Ichthy Stuff in Oldsmar. He offers just about every variant and species that we produce!

Sorry I haven't been as active - My main PC started crashing just before the holiday weekend and I am just getting around to fixing it! Luckily I could recover all my data and save everything I wanted to another drive.

Now to start the hassle of installing my operating system on a new hard drive and building it back up.

In other news I had a great snow hatch last night and I'm setting up for a small perc hatch tonight. I had a heater go out about two weeks ago and the temp got down to 70 in the perc tank before I realized what was going on. The next nest they spawned was pretty small but at least they aren't wasting any time getting back in the groove.

No action from my B&W pair yet. The female is being very protective of her pot though. A snail got in it last night and she was not happy about it at all.

Sorry I haven't been as active - My main PC started crashing just before the holiday weekend and I am just getting around to fixing it! Luckily I could recover all my data and save everything I wanted to another drive.

Now to start the hassle of installing my operating system on a new hard drive and building it back up.

In other news I had a great snow hatch last night and I'm setting up for a small perc hatch tonight. I had a heater go out about two weeks ago and the temp got down to 70 in the perc tank before I realized what was going on. The next nest they spawned was pretty small but at least they aren't wasting any time getting back in the groove.

No action from my B&W pair yet. The female is being very protective of her pot though. A snail got in it last night and she was not happy about it at all.

At least you were able to save some of your data. Installing new hard drives and operating systems I find to be a PITA sometimes lol. Glad to see that you had a couple new hatches. Sounds like your B&W will be giving a clutch at anytime. I hope you had a great holiday besides the computer crashing.

LOL... I know it's just more time consuming then anything - I honestly haven't touched it since I pulled the data. Although - I need to soon. My kid's PC is slower and it's making me nuts. I just hope I can find all the disks to the programs I had installed like Photoshop and Lighthouse.

My kids are just happy I got the internet back up and running.

Christmas was great... I have the largest house of all the family so somehow that automatically designates us as the host for Christmas dinner every year. All the major holidays it seems. The good part is we don't have to pack up and go anyplace the downside is we get all the mess.

In the end - the kids are happy with what they got, they always are. It's the one holiday the Mrs and I agree that we don't hold back on.

I'm on vacation until January 3rd so I'll have plenty of time to tinker with the PC and get it going again.

LOL... I know it's just more time consuming then anything - I honestly haven't touched it since I pulled the data. Although - I need to soon. My kid's PC is slower and it's making me nuts. I just hope I can find all the disks to the programs I had installed like Photoshop and Lighthouse.

My kids are just happy I got the internet back up and running.

Christmas was great... I have the largest house of all the family so somehow that automatically designates us as the host for Christmas dinner every year. All the major holidays it seems. The good part is we don't have to pack up and go anyplace the downside is we get all the mess.

In the end - the kids are happy with what they got, they always are. It's the one holiday the Mrs and I agree that we don't hold back on.

I'm on vacation until January 3rd so I'll have plenty of time to tinker with the PC and get it going again.

Very cool. My wife and I agree to try and get the kids what they want as well for Christmas. Our parents couldn't really do that for us, so I guess we just want to spoil our kids every once in awhile.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I am done reading all 146 pages. Only took me three days!

This thread inspired me to find a new mate for my GSM female. I had a pair, they got ich a while back, and the male did not make it thru the hospital tank process. Reading this thread made me want to at least give her someone to hang out with, maybe breed sometime down the road. Luckily there was a shipment last night and the LFS gave me an "Still In The Bag" special for the tiniest GSM I have ever seen..... traded it to me straight across for a meat coral that was taking up a lot of sand space in my tank.

Fuzzy photo...sorry

2011-12-29192848.jpg

Still has black on the tail and fins. How old would people think this little guy is? I did not know they ever had black.....is that normal?

Currently he is in a "Kritter Keeper" until I can see how the female reacts. So far she is scared poop-less by the "Kritter Keeper" ;) So no attacking yet. She is pretty much a pansy to begin with.

Video if you click...

th_video-2011-12-29-21-03-59.jpg

Edited by paneubert

LOL.... It always amazes me when someone reads the WHOLE thread.

Looks like a nice GSM juvi you have there. GSM's are slow growers so it's hard to tell - I have one that is just over a year and it's just over an inch or so. No big at all.

At one year he is just getting the gold starting to show in the stripes. I've read that it takes about that long and they weren't kidding.

I don't know about the black - I've never noticed that on mine but maybe someone else will chime in.

I don't know about the black - I've never noticed that on mine but maybe someone else will chime in.

When I saw the black on 2 out of the 3 GSM's they got in their shipment, I was saying "holey moley...is this some cool variant or cross?" All three Maroons were the same size and I assume the same overall broodstock. So why do only 2 of them have the circles?

But then I figured that it was simply a stage in the development and nothing special. Who knows. This guy literally has a dark black circle on his tail and "hand" fins.

Female took to him right away.....he does the shimmy and shake for her. I think I might have smooth sailing... fingerscrossed

Horrible phone photo.

2011-12-30190842.jpg

Edited by paneubert

Ok, so I am going start breeding clownfish, and I have some questions. I thought it would be good to ask my questions on this thread since you guys actually know something. :lol:

I have two ORA black ocallaris and they are small (1 inch and 1 1/2 inch) but they are the perfect couple with the will be male doing the submissive seizure thing, and never leaving eachothers side.

My main question right now is, how long does it take for clowns to mature?

Thanks for any help I may receive.

Ok, so I am going start breeding clownfish, and I have some questions. I thought it would be good to ask my questions on this thread since you guys actually know something. :lol:

I have two ORA black ocallaris and they are small (1 inch and 1 1/2 inch) but they are the perfect couple with the will be male doing the submissive seizure thing, and never leaving eachothers side.

My main question right now is, how long does it take for clowns to mature?

Thanks for any help I may receive.

Around 2 years for the female and she needs to between 2 - 2.5". I think the male just needs to be 6 months old to fertilize the eggs.

nanoclown101

Yeh, it was really helpful! I just couldn't find how old clownfish need to be to spawn. I needed to know if my clowns would be old enough to lay eggs soon, or if I should order a mated pair and add my clowns to the project if they ever started spawning.

Yeh, it was really helpful! I just couldn't find how old clownfish need to be to spawn. I needed to know if my clowns would be old enough to lay eggs soon, or if I should order a mated pair and add my clowns to the project if they ever started spawning.

Guess it all depends how much of a rush you are in. My original pair was around 6 years old when they started to spawn. But they were in a regular reef tank.

If you give this pair the right conditions they could be ready in a year or so. You could get going faster if you want to shell out the cash for a spawning pair.

nanoclown101
Guess it all depends how much of a rush you are in. My original pair was around 6 years old when they started to spawn. But they were in a regular reef tank.

If you give this pair the right conditions they could be ready in a year or so. You could get going faster if you want to shell out the cash for a spawning pair.

I'll probably wait a year or so, since I'm not in a really big rush. What are the right conditions? I've read somewhere warmer water helps, but I don't know if it will hurt my coral. (they are the only fish in my nano that I am stocking with coral)