Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

If you don't mind me asking, where do you sell your baby clowns?

I sell to some local fish stores in Bakersfield / Fresno and Santa Maria. I also sell to an international re-reseller in Los Angeles.

three ameigos thats a funny name for them,i wish you luck in there care.

Thanks.. The 3 amigos are doing just fine - I moved them in with my last hatch of snowflakes in growout and are through the hardest part.

3 ameigos need a group shot

I couldn't even pick them out - they are swimming in a tub full of snowflakes right now. So it's going to be a while before we get a first shot.

Hey pickle,

I was just wondering if you have ever used or had any experience feeding rotifers spirulina powder. I saw it mentioned on mofib and i was just curious.

I've never tried it but I've seen or at least read of others doing in. I don't know what the benefits would be. Maybe Hyper or someone else will chime in.

altolamprologus
I've never tried it but I've seen or at least read of others doing in. I don't know what the benefits would be. Maybe Hyper or someone else will chime in.

I assume the benefits would be not having to culture live phyto?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread I just wish I took notes as I was was pecking away at it. It's taking awhile to get through the whole thing since I only reed a page or two whenever I get the chance. I'm trying to get my clowns to put down a nest but so far nothing. What are you guys keeping your brood stock temps and salinity at? And how long is your light cycle? Also do you guys think about a 40 breeder divided into three sections for three pair with some live rock and a fluval 404. Should I not bother with the fluval and do something else and if so what? I'd like to build something like pickel's brood stock system but I have to wait until I move for that. I'd like to set up the 40g in the mean time. I'd appreciate any suggestions, Thanks

you dont need to culture live phyto for rots.

I never have... I have too much on plate already without having to worry about a phyto culture.

Hey Gar - you need to read the Cliffs Notes version of this thread - all your answers are here:

My Guide to Breeding Clowns

Oh yeah.. .and welcome along.

Cool, thanks. That makes thing a lot easier. I'm picking up a pair of breeding occy's soon and I'm thinking I'll swap the male out for a black ice male I have just like you did. Do you think I should let the occy's get back on track before I split them up or should I do it right off bat?

What are you feed the young clowns.Anything to help promote growth?Color ect?

Ultimately the best thing you can do for color is start with quality brood stock and use good feeds. Typically feeds high in caroteens (sp?) are great for color. Reed-Mariculture also sells feed with color enhancing formulas.

Once off the otohime - I stick to good foods but nothing you couldn't find in your LFS and a blend of my own frozen foods made from whatever is fresh at the deli counter at my grocery store.

Cool, thanks. That makes thing a lot easier. I'm picking up a pair of breeding occy's soon and I'm thinking I'll swap the male out for a black ice male I have just like you did. Do you think I should let the occy's get back on track before I split them up or should I do it right off bat?

I would - I think it's beneficial to get the female back on track first - just be ready to try a couple of different things to get her to accept the new male. My female did not accept the male on the first try. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he just wasn't mature enough the first time and she was an already producing female. Once he matured I had much less difficulty pairing the two. I just had to be sure to pair him with a larger female that did accept him while I waited for him to get a little older.

It also may be easier if you move the female to the males tank versus adding the male in the female's tank where she might be more territorial.

Edited by Pickle010
hooligan_78

Interestingly enough, I expected a bunch of "facepalm" moments reading that article, but it wasn't as bad as I had expected. I have a couple of Moe's books and would recommend them to anyone even thinking

of breeding.

Looks like my female Platinum has bladder issues. I cannot let her feed off the top of the water or her bladder will fill with air and she'll be stuck on her side for a couple of days. I"m really bummed about it. From what I'm reading it is a degenerative trait that she could pass on to fry and I'm thinking I need to pull her now.

That's a real bummer. I've never heard of that happening to a fish feeding off the top. I always thought it was more of a shipping issue.

From what I've read bladder issues are more of digestive issue that can be caused by parasites or genetics. For a lot of fish you can prevent it from happening if you soak the food prior to feeding. My concern is that if I don't soak the food the problem surfaces and I'd be concerned about breeding a fish that could pass the problem to it's offspring.

One source stated that it's more common in fish that are bred for extreme coloration such as plats and WW's. I don't know how much truth there is to that but I'm thinking I don't want to take the risk.

I have a mature female Fancy White clown and I'm tempted to pair her with the healthy male platinum that I have. I think it would result in a cool cross.

I sell to some local fish stores in Bakersfield / Fresno and Santa Maria. I also sell to an international re-reseller in Los Angeles.

Thanks.. The 3 amigos are doing just fine - I moved them in with my last hatch of snowflakes in growout and are through the hardest part.

Wow that means I possibly have a pair of your clowns Pickles! My LFS oders from a international seller in LA...who knows though, I am sure that there are thousands of clowns for sale at any given time...

post-71008-1330883553_thumb.jpg

Right on... you just never know. There's a chance... although slim - I'm a small dent in the supply chain for my main vendor.

Cloudburst2000

Hey, just wanted to ask what type of clown that is in your signature. It looks a bit like a cross between a snowcasso and a onyx clown. I'm looking at what type of clown to get and I like clowns that have quite a bit of black but not all black, but I also like the picassos/snowcassos. The clown type in your sig would be perfect...more black then most regular picassos but more white than most onyx clowns. Or is it just a really spectacularly pretty snowflake/snowcasso?

I should also mention that it takes time for the color to come in on these guys. I had this one over a year before he got this dark. When I first got him he was bright orange and white and I had no clue he'd color up like he did.