Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Hatch attempt 2 Day 3 - Still have a swarm of fry in the tank. They all seem to be doing very well - all active and appear to eating. Looking in from the side of the tank I can see all the big silver bellies - I hope that means those bellies are full. Feeling good about getting through day 4.

Back in with the parents - another large nest was layed today. Seems to pretty regular now - spawns are every 9 days and fry hatch in 7. That gives the pair 2 days to clean the place up a little before the next batch.

Edited by Pickle010
Looking good!

it took me 4 or 5 spauns before i had any survivors, now i get 60 to 70 if i want to hatch them out. i like the challenge of the whole process. i wish you all the best luck

it took me 4 or 5 spauns before i had any survivors, now i get 60 to 70 if i want to hatch them out. i like the challenge of the whole process. i wish you all the best luck

so do you sell these to LFS or what? Do the fry from the same spawn always get along well?

Edited by Freakin
so do you sell these to LFS or what? Do the fry from the same spawn always get along well?

That's where most of mine are going. Once the Snowflakes start spawning I'll be shipping those.

Really cool thread man. I'm hoping that some day mine'll make babies and I can raise them till I get tired of it. I don't have anything special, but I think it'd be cool to see what the babies of a naked and orange and white ocellaris turn out to be. :P

Keep us updated, this thread helps me get through those boring days at work.

Right on - thanks... Right now I'm still having fun watching the rotifers under the microscope. If I stay with this long term I'll have to buy one that will capture images. They are really amazing animals.

I'm the mean time I'll just keep going day to day with the fry... what's different this time is that the fry are much more active. They have just about 6 gallons of tinted rotifer water in the tank and I can see them swimming just about everywhere I look. Hopefully they'll get big enough to get some pictures posted here soon.

Edited by Pickle010

So in my new found fascination with rotifers I did the google thing and tripped over this page from UNLV.

I had to laugh when it mentioned rotifers or at least the eggs being able to survive long periods without water only to reemerge once wet and thrive again - said you can find rots in small pods and what not - made me feel worse for not doing so well with my first batch after giving them what I thought would be optimal conditions. You really just have to give them some flow and feed the little buggers properly.

Alright - so there is more to it but if the stuff can live in a small pond - I've got to think I can keep up with them.

Another interesting tidbit is the male rotifer - I don't know why guys always get the shaft but males do not eat. In fact an unfertilized egg hatches as male and it's only purpose in life is to spread it's seed and die. I guess some things never change.

I WANNA SEE SOME BABY FISHES!!!!!

You and me brother... you and me. ;)

Well let me officially put my name on the list for some snowflakes B) Cant wait to see some baby pics!

LOL... it's a little early to start lists but hey - your spot is reserved. Just keep in mind it's going to be a while yet.

Well here we are on the morning of Day 4 - this is where it all ended last time. The fry are still looking great this morning. They are active and eating. Some are displaying some speed shooting up to 5 inshes across the tank. My wife says they are noticeably larger - I don't see it as well because I am always watching them.

So what are the water conditions for the babies?

Nitrates are ok?

Do you do water changes and what %?

Just curious what you do for water quality and if it matters.

So far my water conditions have been great. I haven't seen any nitrates or amonia at all. I think the key factor for that is keeping excellent water quality in with the breeding pair. They get a large water change twice a week right now. The second water change on the day before the hatch. This way when I transfer the water over with the fry - I know I'm bringing over good water.

I'm expecting that as I introduce more foods and the rots go through their life cycle that I can expect some nitrates and amonia. I've read about breeders using prime or amquel to treat the larval tanks. I've actually reached out to a friend for more info on this stage but haven't heard back yet. Soon as I do I'll be sure to share the info. In the mean time I'll just keep watching my peramiters.

Just heard back and was told to do daily water changes - so tonight I will vacum out the bottom of the tank and drip back in the new water.

hooligan_78

Awesome thread! Everytime I read one of these, I want to get rid of all my other fish/corals and start breeding attempts, but I don't think my girlfried would approve! Tagging along!

Right now the I have approximately 6 gallons of water in a 10 gallon tank. I'll remove and replace about 1 gallon. If they continue to do well I will start increasing the amount of water I replace, increasing the water volume and also increasing the air flow in to the tank as well. They are getting just over 2 bubbles of air per second now.

Awesome thread! Everytime I read one of these, I want to get rid of all my other fish/corals and start breeding attempts, but I don't think my girlfried would approve! Tagging along!

Go for it... you can always find another girlfriend. It is a lot of work though and you deffiantely have to be ready for large failures and small victories. My LFS guy is glad I got into though and I don't he even cares if I get a single clown out of it. He just loves all the tanks and supplies I'm buying.

Go for it... you can always find another girlfriend. It is a lot of work though and you deffiantely have to be ready for large failures and small victories. My LFS guy is glad I got into though and I don't he even cares if I get a single clown out of it. He just loves all the tanks and supplies I'm buying.

lol I've heard this hobby can be an obsession :P

An obsession is one thing but for me this hobby has been a progression of sorts. Starting out with softies, then moving to LPS then harder to keep SPS corals... it's always been one step after the other. Now moving into breeding or at least attempting to breed. I fear that if I do this well the next step will be cloning - OK... maybe that's too big a leap - but I'd deffinately be interested in keeping or breeding other kinds of fish as well.

An obsession is one thing but for me this hobby has been a progression of sorts. Starting out with softies, then moving to LPS then harder to keep SPS corals... it's always been one step after the other. Now moving into breeding or at least attempting to breed. I fear that if I do this well the next step will be cloning - OK... maybe that's too big a leap - but I'd deffinately be interested in keeping or breeding other kinds of fish as well.

yeah I'm just about ready to purchase my first SW tank and dive right into this and I keep thinking about avoiding the hobby altogether =/

LOL... it's a little early to start lists but hey - your spot is reserved. Just keep in mind it's going to be a while yet.

Lol I am a patient person.