Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Here is the direction I was pointed to the get my rotifers:

Reed Mariculture

Looks like they have about everything you need to know about raising them Here

But then here is where the questions come in - I'll deffinately hit Erik with this next time I talk to him...

Looks like there are a few options for getting started. Options

They have starter kits - Basic and Delux - looks like delux throws in some rotifer floss - it's the first time in my research that I've seen it recommended. I haven't read or seen anyone else using it.

But then they also offer individual bags of rotifers (1 million or 5 million count) and rotifer food.

For feeding the choices are between the Rotifer Diet High Density - 1 liter, the Nannochloropsis 3600 - 1 quart or the Rotigrow Plus - 1 liter.

I'm going to hold off and let the experts chime in on this one and see what's recommended.

Picture update?

The last batch was layed at a tough angle to photograph and I didn't want to risk moving anything for the shot. If they are more cooperative this time and lay the eggs where they are supposed to then I'll be sure to get some shots.

The morning after the hatch the pair was back at work cleaning the same spot on the rock. Can't say I blame them it was lucky for them on the last go around. I'm going to lean a tile up against the spot tomorrow though and see if I can't get them to go for that. Next month they won't have the rock so they are going to have to choose between the pot and the tile.

Noticed this morning that my Female is spend more time in the clay pot. Hopefully this is a sign that her next nest is going in there.

Well when I talked to Erik the other day he predicted Saturday for my next clutch of eggs. Considering the last clutch just hatched two nights ago I figured that would be a pretty good guess.

That is until I looked in the tank tonight and found that they layed another HUGE clutch today.

I've got some baby makers here people!!!

I'm just bummed because there is no way I'll have the rots in time for this one.

Edited by Pickle010

Thanks Eric...

I'll have to call you Friday though... I'm in Monterey with my boys all day tomorrow. Booked a fishing trip.

This thread is awesome! Can't wait to see you raise some little babies.

So if I understand the basics you have a clay pot in a normal reef tank w/ the mated pair, they will ideally lay their clutch in the pot, then you transfer the pot to a separate tank before they hatch and raise them there without the parents surrounded by an all-they-can-eat buffet of rotifers?

Sorry I'm still very new to the hobby and this was the first thread I have read on breeding (your sig drew me in)

I'm following this one for sure!

What Up Freakin - To be honest I've done away with my reef (for now) The ideal spawning conditions for clowns can be stressful for a lot of corals. for example we keep our reefs at around 1.026 and try to maintain temps at or below 80 degrees. My tanks now sit closer to 84 degrees and 1.020. I also run my lighting close to 16 hours a day. I feed my pairs 4 times a day with a variety of foods - pellets / flake / veggies / cyclopeeze / and a home made mixture.

From what I understand the combination of the feeding, longer lighting, warmer water and lower salinity stimulate the breeding instinct in the clowns. I had a pair of clowns for almost 4 years that never had a clutch and within a week or two of making those adjustments they started laying a clutch like clock work.

So now my set up includes 4 20g highs housing pairs that will plumbed into a 40 gallon breeder - grow out and a 55 gallon sump.

Right now the pairs still have live rock in the tanks as I don't have it all plumbed yet - this was going to be a summer project that I'm bumping up the time table on. So the pair that is laying for me is laying the eggs on a rock next to an anemone and ignoring the pot all together. My other pairs are working hard to keep their pots clean - but they have some time as the males need more time to mature. I can hatch the eggs in the tank then draw the fry to the surface with a light to scoop out and transfer to a tank with rotifers. I don't think I'll be ready for this one but the next clutch I'm going to give it a go. Once my set up is complete the only thing in the tanks with the pairs will be the pots and possibly a tile. That will make transfer much easier.

But you pretty much have the idea. I'm going to do my best to document everything as I go so that anyone else interested in giving a whirl can learn from my mistakes and successes.

So last night we had another large hatch. I let my kids stay up to see it, again it appeared that we had someplace in the neigborhood of 150+. That's a rough estimate as it was hard to count the little ones swarming around in the tank.

I purchased some tiles at Lowes - I'm going to lean one up against the spot where they lay to see if they will lay on the tile. I'll also get my order for rots in tonight so we will be ready to give it a go with this next clutch.

If they continue on the same pace they should lay again tomorrow.

Edited by Pickle010

awesome thread just wish i had more to read! im new to the hobby gonna get a pair of ocell. clowns in a bit once my tank is done cycling. very cool to see your progression with this!

This morning I replaced the clay pot in the tank with a Tile from Lowes - just a standard plain white tile. I leaned it up against the spot where the clowns like to lay their eggs and within 15 minutes the female came along and nudged the tile over and exposed her spot. I moved it back and placed a rock next the bottom of the tile to help keep it secure - hopefully she gets the hint.

If she decides to lay elsewhere I'll have to collect the fry after the hatch with the flashlight and scoop method... I should know soon though as most likely they will lay today or tomorrow.

This morning I replaced the clay pot in the tank with a Tile from Lowes - just a standard plain white tile. I leaned it up against the spot where the clowns like to lay their eggs and within 15 minutes the female came along and nudged the tile over and exposed her spot. I moved it back and placed a rock next the bottom of the tile to help keep it secure - hopefully she gets the hint.

If she decides to lay elsewhere I'll have to collect the fry after the hatch with the flashlight and scoop method... I should know soon though as most likely they will lay today or tomorrow.

Have you heard anything about moonlights helping spawning? I've heard some people say yes it helps and some people say that its stupid.

Well, I don't have any moonlights and my fish spawn pretty regularly. I do have some light that spills over from my fuge that is mounted on the back of the tank.

BUT - My clowns always spawn durring the day - the fry hatch about about an hour after the tank lights go out. Come to think of it... on hatch night I do not turn on the fuge light at all since I want it completely dark. So in my limited experience I would say that there is no need.

Most breeder set ups that I've researched are lit by single or dual strip T5's without moonlights.

Edited by Pickle010

Got my order in at Reed Mariculture - Rots and Nano - Reading the fine print it looks like they only ship Tuesday - Thursday. I guess that means I wont see my Rots until Wednesday or Thursday next week.

As I expected the clowns laid the largest clutch yet today. The nest is at least 1 inch wide and almost 3 inches long all packed together very tightly. Oh and of course they managed to lay on the rock behind the tile. YOUBASTARDS!!! - Oh well everything can't go as planned. Looks like we will be collecting this next hatch with a flashlight and cup.

Time for some pics...

Here is the latest clutch:

IMG_6446.jpg

The male taking care of them:

IMG_6447.jpg

And finally one of my Snow / Osc Pairs hosting their pot I can't believe how much he has grown in the last 2 months:

IMG_6452.jpg

It just makes transfering the eggs into a hatch tank easier.

The idea is to keep the eggs submerged when moving them from one tank to another. A clay pot works well because it give the clowns a clean smooth place to lay the eggs and when you are ready to move them you simply plug the hole in the bottom of the pot, tilt it up and remove the eggs with the water into the hatch tank.

Since my eggs are on a rock that is larger then my hatch tank I will have to let them hatch in the tank with the pair then use a flash light to attract the fry to the surface and use a cup to carefully scoop them out. It's a little harder then moving the whole pot at once but it can be done.

Edited by Pickle010
Since my eggs are on a rock that is larger then my hatch tank I will have to let them hatch in the tank with the pair then use a flash light to attract the fry to the surface and use a cup to carefully scoop them out. It's a little harder then moving the whole pot at once but it can be done.

What a bunch of suckers. No wonder baby fish are usually fish food :o

Allright.. did a little shopping today in anticipation of the Rotifers...

Picked up a couple of new buckets, 2 air pumps with stones and check valves. Forgot to buy the air regulator valve - guess I'll look tomorrow. Worst case I can tie a knot in the line. Also grabbed some heaters.

Couldn't find white buckets at lowes... the cheap 5 gallon buckets used to be white there but now all they had was a dark grey. I thought that would make it harder to see the tint in the rotifers so I drove over to Home Depot across the street and grabbed a couple of the orange ones.

Now here is the question - I don't have a rotifers strainer - YET. So I'm going to try the coffee filter method.... do I stick with regular plain coffee filters which seem like they would be a pain in the ass to work with or do I use one of the harder gold filters that last forever?

Uhhggggggg... I messed up entering my credit card info in at Reed. Got it straightened out this monring. Hope it doesn't hold everything up too much.

Edited by Pickle010
lovelandbmxrider

I hate hold ups like that, I'm waiting for USPS to tell me why my package that was in Denver (where I live) was processed through the same post office THREE times, then sent to Atlanta. I know how you feel. Hope everything gets there on time.

Going to be cutting it close. Looks like my order is due to arrive on Friday and the eggs are due to hatch on Saturday night. Hope I'm off a night and my rots get a little more time to multiply.