Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Update on the eggs... the clowns treated themselves to an Easter feast. =( I guess I should be happy they held out longer then the first time.

I've added clay pots to my tanks - and they've all taken to them right away. I hope that the next batch are layed in the pot. We shall see.

Starting to progress on my build for my rack.

There has been a lot to consider as it will be 3 levels. Top level housing pairs in 5 seperate tanks. Second level will be a 40 gallon grow out tank with a divider or two. Bottom level will be my sump which is 60 gallons and it will house any media - LR / Cheato - Skimmer - chiller.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up my return from the sump - Can I do it with one pump? The idea would be to have one PVC pump that branhes off into the 40 on the second level then continues up to the individual tanks on the top level. I was looking at driving it with MJ550 which puts out 1385 gph to account for head loss and it is adjustable. I figure I can control flow to the individual tanks using ball valves.

Does this make sense or does someone see a better way of doing this?

Edited by Pickle010

Why did you block my PM? I know what I said was a little harsh but truth is harsh sometimes. But anyways looks like you got something going on?

Why did you block my PM? I know what I said was a little harsh but truth is harsh sometimes. But anyways looks like you got something going on?

I blocked your PM because your crying and tears are not worth my time. You are the one that sought me out and started telling me to get a life because I spend too much time here because I made a joke about bonding PVC with peanut butter. In hind sight I see the tourment and damage that I caused you. :huh: But for you to keep PM'ing me a week later is a little disturbing.

I'm serious - get help.

As you can see - I have issues with several people so I block them all. Here is a complete list:

"Welcome to your messenger

Members already in your block list

Member Name Options

stevey87 [ Stalking ] [ Edit ] :: [ Delete ] ( Message Ban )

Add a member to block from sending you a PM"

Edited by Pickle010

Alright time to get back on track...

If anyone has any advise or suggestions - I'd appreciate it.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up my return from the sump - Can I do it with one pump? The idea would be to have one PVC pump that branhes off into the 40 on the second level then continues up to the individual tanks on the top level. I was looking at driving it with MJ550 which puts out 1385 gph to account for head loss and it is adjustable. I figure I can control flow to the individual tanks using ball valves.

Does this make sense or does someone see a better way of doing this?

that will technically work, but because one tank is lower than the rest, most of the water will want to go there. you will of course need a ball valve on that outlet, and i expect that you will need to have it almost closed. of course that depends on the size of piping and fittings used. adjusting this valve could be quite finicky.

I think the easiest way would be have one pump for each level of tanks.

another option would be have each top tank drain into the middle tank, and have that tank drain into the sump. but thats kinda strange and probably not ideal for detritus reasons.

hey thanks for the input... I've been looking at different options and I'm leaning towards a gate valve to get more control of the second level water. I deffinately do not want water going from top to middle then back to the sump.

In other news I came on to my thread to check the date of my last spawn which was on the 27th - and figured I was about due for another clutch. I checked the tank and sure enough there is a huge clutch of eggs. I'm going to guess they have been there for a couple of days now since the eggs are a dark color. Typically when first deposited they have been a bright orange and the clowns have always eaten them in the past before the eggs ahve had an opportunity to change or develop.

This is most deffinately the largest clutch yet also I've noticed that the eggs are packed more tightly together and not as spuraticly deposited across the rock.

Go figure ... I give them a clay pot and still lay on the rocks behind the pot. I'm going to leave them alone for right now. I don't want to move the pot or disturb anything as I'm curious if they will raise this clutch to term.

Once in the new set up all they will have is the pot and possibly some time so to limit where they can lay and to make moving the eggs much easier.

Hello old friend :)

How did I miss this thread??? So you are now a clown breeder, well almost. Neato. You should post some pics of the set-up, I think that would be cool. What are your plans for the most recent eggs? I assume just let them be eaten or whatever until they lay the eggs on the pot?

Hey bro... not a lot to take pics just yet. I have the pairs in 3 20h's which are patiently waiting for me to finish collecting what I need to complete the brood system. I don't want to rush and slap something together as for one it's going to be in my house so I want it to look half decent and I want it to be functional.

I honestly didn't expect to attempt to start trying to raise fry until this summer and I'm still targeting about that time frame. I just got some advise from Christo and made some adjustments and within a week I started getting clutches. I never expected it would happen that fast.

Once the brood system is in place the pairs will not have any nems or rocks in the tank. No distractions. So for now I'm just letting them do what they do naturally.

Edited by Pickle010

Phyto is going but rots aren't.

I'm not starting the rots until I'm ready to start raising the fry. Amazingly, I ran across a guuy in my local reef club who is breeding maroons. I gave him what he needed to get them started and he is already culturing his rotifers. Best part about it is that I have a local source if my culture crashes and vise versa.

Quick daily update - the male is still caring for the eggs and it doesn't look like he has eaten any this time. Looks like he is getting the hang of it. The eggs are deffinately darker today and swaying as he is blowing on them. I can't make out any eyes or anything like that yet as the eggs are in a awkward position and I don't have the best view of them.

I'm just really encouraged that they've gone this far and haven't become a meal... yet.

Hey Tanngu - welcome along for the ride. It's going to be a slow start but this roller coaster should get to the top of that first hill soon enough!

This morning the eggs are still there. Deffinately larger and more defined. Just looked again to see if I can see any more detaill but the anemone has expanded and now blocks my view.

On another front I've always carefully managed my hobies and the amount of money I put into them - my wife wasn't so supportive of the whole reef idea when I first showed up with a tank. So anyhow, I've always paced the money and made sure not too spend a fortune at once - I also have some DIY skills so I'd always do whatever I could to cut costs. Honestly a lot of times I like the DIY stuff better then what I could get in store anyhow. I've been approaching this with the same mentality and the other night the Mrs said, "What are you waiting for with hatching these clowns?" - I told her I was just pacing myself and still doing some research and equiptment gathering and she told me to get going on it. I was a little suprised but I guess someplace along the road she got into it as well, but didn't want to admit it.

I'm still not going to rip out of the gates and go wild with my new found support - but the pace is going to pick up a little!

I'm starting to wonder how long the eggs where there this time before I noticed. This morning the eggs are lighter grey in color and I can see some flashes of silver which appear to be eyes. Most references I've seen show that they should be close to hatching.

I'm starting to wonder how long the eggs where there this time before I noticed. This morning the eggs are lighter grey in color and I can see some flashes of silver which appear to be eyes. Most references I've seen show that they should be close to hatching.

Awesome! Keep us posted - will be tagging along!

Amphitrite welcome! Should be some good stuff happening soon. The Mrs layed into me again tonight for not being further along with my set up.

dt... I'll deffinately be watching for a hatch... No point in scooping them this time though. No rotifers. I'm going to target my first hatch for May.

Christo gave me some great information and I've done a ton of research... So I'm going to try to post as much info as I can - sources and all so that if anyone else is going to attempt this they'll have it all layed out.

Well no hatch last night.... I noticed the eggs on the 8th and for all I know they may not be ready for another day or two. I'm a noob to whole "stages of the egg" thing so I'm taking notes and will be better prepared next time as to what to look for. The encouraging part is that they haven't been eaten. I'm happy to know that this pair will take the eggs to hatch without deciding it's snack time.

I turned out the tank lights about an hour ago - and for kicks I turned off the pumps as well.

I just shined a flash light into the tank and found 100's of little swimmers!!! I can't believe how many of them started swimming into the light. The longer I sat and watched the more of them appeared.

My wife thinks it's a sad story... that they'll be fish food in the morning... but I'm more excited then ever!

I'm curious to see if we'll have a new clutch in about 5 days.

I turned out the tank lights about an hour ago - and for kicks I turned off the pumps as well.

I just shined a flash light into the tank and found 100's of little swimmers!!! I can't believe how many of them started swimming into the light. The longer I sat and watched the more of them appeared.

My wife thinks it's a sad story... that they'll be fish food in the morning... but I'm more excited then ever!

I'm curious to see if we'll have a new clutch in about 5 days.

Very cool, I've been lurking as well. I'm tagging this one to follow for sure! Thanks for documenting your experience!

christosclowns

Well it is tottaly normal for them to eat the first couple of clutches. Unfortunately it will be difficult to tell if its the parents or the diet. If the eggs are nice and bright orange when layed then i will probbaly say it is the parents. If your eggs are a mustard color or in between mustard and bright orange then it is diet. What you need to do is make sure you have greens in their diet. Like for example A veggie pellet, spirilina, or a frozen blend of greens for fish. To much protein and fats will affect the eggs and their liver as well.Your clowns will probably lay again on saturday and be on a 12 day cycle eventually maybe a 10 day cycle and this is totally normal. Htaching out in the tank and siphoning larvae out is not that hard to do. Exactly what you did is what needs to be done. Flashlight get them all in an area and scopp them out with bowl or a cup and then you can transfer them to a tank with parent water and rotifer. As far as knowing when the eggs are ready its pretty simple. If you go to cvs or walgreens or supermarket get yourself a basic magnifying glass. push the rock or pot or piece of tile to the fornt of the tank and look at the eggs with the most magnified part of the magnifying glass. If the eggs are silver through out they will hatch that night. If they are not silver through out you will see an orange embryo sack in the egg itself Any questions you got my number,. Anddont go crazy reading to much MOFIB is out dated with info, And these books that are out are very out dated, theres many new ways to raise clownfish athat are way simpler.Trial and error buddy youl learn your own efficient way. Hnads on is the best tool for learning. You got my number you know where im at see ya

Erik! Thanks for the information... great stuff! I have introduced a lot of greens into the diet since the first clutch. I read that the parents, just as you mentioned, had been getting too much shrimp and possibly other shell fish in the diet which could lead to eggs that where difficult for the larvae to break through. After I introduced some veggie pellets and flake it made a huge difference in the color of the eggs.

I will be calling you soon as it's time to talk rotifers!

For anyone who is intersted the conditions for the pair that are laying, they are:

Tank temp: 84

Salinity: 1.020

All other tests are reading normal.

My snowflake / Osc pair are starting to clean and maintain their pot. I'm going to start bringing their tank peramiters in line for spawning. The snowflake male should be very close to ready to fertilize.

Edited by Pickle010