SaltCritters.com

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Sounds like you have a handle on it. If you haven't split your rots yet I would go ahead and do that just for back up sake. Generally I don't advise people to start keeping rots until after their eggs start hatching - there is just no telling how long it can take for a pair to get it right. The cost of phyto will add up and once you start the rots you are locked into your daily maintenance of them to keep them going. I'd rather let a clutch or two go while building up rot populations.

• Like 1

I hear you on the rots. I ordered these after the last successful spawning. The eggs made it all the way to hatch. Unfortunately, the pair had a different plan and I think maintaining the rots for practice will be good for me. My pair just laid on Thursday and seem to be on a 2-3 week cycle. They just need to figure it out. Fingers crossed on next spawn. So, are you back to breeding again? Reading your entire thread took a while, but it was well worth the read. You definitely had your ups and downs and finally everything clicked for you. Hopefully the same will happen for me. Thanks for the input!

I'm glad to see the thread is still helping people out. I did make my fair share of mistakes and if documenting it helps someone else avoid my pitfalls then it's all worthwhile.

Currently I"m keeping 4 pairs and am getting geared up to start again. I took a pretty long break and I'm getting the urge to get going again. I still have everything set up though - all my hatch tanks a grow outs are ready whenever my pairs are.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Pickle010
On 12/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, WuzzoFish said:

Who's here in 2018!?

I still check in on occasion -  Mostly respond to private messages or people who contact me via social media.    Still like to check in from time to time and see if anything is brewing.  

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, bunneeboy said:

Hi. Starting out breeding ! Still reading this thread and not successful at the moment .

What are you having problems with?  Are you intentionally breeding the fish to sell, or just trying to save a clutch of eggs?

Hi. Just for hobby.

Transferred the attached silvery fries(clay pot) to a hatchery Bucket(1/2 filled) (aerated) using the same water as breeding tank. Turns out the timing was wrong by 1-2 days. They do hatch. But survival was low. I do culture of phyto and roti. 

Temp do swing btw 26(night)-32(midday).

20% water change(tank water-drip).

daily 2 cups of rotifers.

starting tinting bucket with phyto(which I read in beginning of page)

Now left <5 fries. 

Planning what I am going to change for the next batch.hmmm...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Yesterday transferred the pot to the bucket. Sadly today noticed the fries turned while. 

Anyone has encountered such issues? The fries are due to hatch on that day.

Unfortunately they perished, most likely due to lack of aeration.  The male plays a big role in this process and without him, special aeration is required.  It's possible to have them hatch without him, but I feel that it's more difficult.

Again I'll refer you to Clownfishes:  https://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-Joyce-D-Wilkerson-ebook/dp/B00DDTQ6AI

It's a good read, and a must for anybody wanting to raise the fry.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Oh wow, 

Wasn't exactly planning this today, since getting into reefing (4-5 months ago) I'd followed/read tons of Pickle's guides/resources and had been working towards getting to a place where I can breed. Though the clowns I've started with in my DT (only tank thusfar) are juv, it's been awesome seeing them grow little by little. 

That said, I have been upgrading and getting equipment for a mating tank, hatch out/grow up, and juv holding, as well as upgrading my stand to accommodate these projects.

So today a friend of mine has chosen to rehome his mature female snowflake ocellaris, she was previously paired and spawning, but he'd been doing a major tank upgrade and lost his male while transitioning all his fish over. 

SO instead of seeing her go back to the LFS, which scares me for nice healthy clowns, being subject to community tanks... I somewhat impulsively have claimed her and am looking at getting my setup on lock (have extra biomedia in my canister), basically just need to go grow another manual thermostat heater, and I'll be set!

TLDR; super stoked that things are falling in place, next to getting the new female comfortable, I'll also need to source a suitable male to breed with this snowflake, still not sure there, but considering darwins (black ocellaris) or maybe black ice/black snowflakes to start.

Anywho, just posting here cause I'm excited! Thanks for reading! 

• Like 1

My first try at raising clownfish fry!! The picture is 4dph! I have been successful with breeding banggai in the past and I am greatfull for all the information I have found here! Nano-Reef has always been my first stop for reading through other people's experiences. Anyways, the parents are a female photon and a male ORA misbar black ocellaris. Wish me luck!!

PXL_20201220_173420225.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...