Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

55 Gallon Reef

Collinw24

Well just to start off this is my first post on a reef forum! :P This is going to be about my 55 gallon sumpless reef.

Equipment:

Nova extreme t-5 lighting

Eshopps Psk-100 hang on skimmer

Vortech mp20

Fish:

2 false perc. clowns

4 Firefish

1 lawnmower blenny

1 Banggai cardinal

temporarily 1 sailfin tang (until he gets big enough to go with my porcupine puffer in my f.o.w.l.r.)

Invertebrates:

20 hermit crabs

15 astria snails

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

Just a little livestock update.

New fish:

1 Banggai cardinal

New inverts:

1 cleaner shrimp

5 hermit crabs

Hope to get pics up soon!

I just ordered 45 more pounds of live rock. :D :D :D :D :D

It should be here on march 18!

I was going to cure it in a 45 gallon trash can with an octopus xp-2000 cone skimmer and a korallia 4.

Will this be a decent rock curing setup?

I was going to do a 10 gallon water change every other day, should this be enough?

Well, I ordered a Vortech MP20 today. It will most likely be in sometime this week. Does anybody else have a mp20 on there 55? What is your favorite mode and power setting?

• 2 weeks later...

Water update:

Salinity:1.025

Ammonia:0ppm

Nitrite:0ppm

PH:8.2

Nitrate:0ppm :D

Calcium:390

KH:9.6

Temp:78

This pic was about a month and a half ago so I had no corals but now I have zoas, shrooms, rics, and a couple SPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a Sailfin tang? How long are you gonna keep him in there and how long do you think until he gets too big? I want to keep a tang until it outgrows my 55 G as well and I'm wondering how long it will be.

Is that a Sailfin tang? How long are you gonna keep him in there and how long do you think until he gets too big? I want to keep a tang until it outgrows my 55 G as well and I'm wondering how long it will be.

Yes it is a Sailfin. I want to keep him as long as possible in the 55.

If you want a tang for a 55 I would get a yellow tang.

You could keep a yellow in the tank for his whole life.

If you want a tang for a 55 I would get a yellow tang.

You could keep a yellow in the tank for his whole life.

Not really true. Yellows get to be dinner plate sized. I'd go with a bristletooth tang like a Kole or a tomini if it's going to be confined to a 55.

Nice looking tank. I like the blue background. Good looking sailfin too. Makes me miss mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Nor_Cal_Cuber

I have had a sailfin for over a year in a 55g, just upgraded to 72g bow front, still 4' tank and he doesn't seem to be growing fast at all. I'm guessing it's the small tank.

Nice start on your 55g. Are you going to sump it any time in the near future?

Watch that flame angel, I had a hell of a time catching one that nipped at my duncan corals.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived