Cultivated Reef

Tanngu87 6 Gallon Sea Horse Tank

Tanngu87

WOW!! I don't know how I passed this up. About 2 months ago, My Girlfriend and I went to the keys. On the first night using a net through the grass at knee high(for some) we found some dwarf sea horses. We brought the 3 home, and then it happened. I got a jbj pico on sale at MD for $34's and I had it set up with black sand b/c I like the look. I had put in a 1" pvc pipe and was running it as a surface skimmer. Worked great, accept that even with filter floss closing the gap at top, they still managed to get down there, and hold on to the intake. I actually think they like it, for it cleaned them very well. One died due to it attaching itself to live rock, and drowning. It happens. We now have Sponge Bob's pineapple house in there, with fake sea grass. We also have 17 babies that are now on day 40 something. We have only lost one! The filtration has since been changed. Aqua-lifter into pico filter. Filter has a custom cut tea bag (LOL) with carbon/phos/sil remover in it. Works rather well. Also so cheato in there. I have some xenia at the bottom and a sexy shrimp. Very fun animals. All of them. The babies are great, and eat all day. When I get home, I have to post on here. I didn't think anyone would be interested. Until tonight take care.

Pics or it didn't happen :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree we would like to see some pictures. It is possible to catch some i would just like to see youre little ones! =]I wanna see how awesome your little ones are doing =]

But omg! my first batch of brine shrimp was a total FAIL! nothing came out so im trying a new batch hopefully it'll work. But the good/bad news is that the sea horses arent gonna come in this week. I receive this email.

"Hello, Im sorry i cant ship yet.. There is something going on with the dwarf seahorses found sick ones over weekend. So will not be abel to ship any of them tell we can be sure there ok. very sorry the dealy would be 1 week more or we can just go ahead and refund the order if you like?thanks DANA"

do what you feel is the best course of action. if it were me I would cancel since their horsies dont sound like they are healthy :(

Yeah that's what i figured i should do. And it let me have more time to gather more supplies and work on getting the bring shrimp successfully. But i should getting some soon i just gotta find more places.

kk i would like to share what my new plans are. I emailed them last night for a refund. and Im planning to order 3 dwarf sea horses from sealifeinc.net. Probably 2 male and 1 female. Im waiting on the refund in order to purchase them. But im also looking into getting so new brineshrimp eggs. What do you guys think of these product? Which one you you buy and is it a good deal??

http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=180

I did not get a chance to get on last night. And I know, I know. I sit here and read forms too, and when I read that, I puff and shake my head b/c I believe they are full of it. When I Girlfriend wakes up, I'm going to have her email the pics to me. And the reason I wasn't on?!? Not that anyone needs to know, but I was making a new mini nano, mini dwarf seahorse mini nano tank. We'll see later how it turns out. Until she's up. Take care

I wouldn't go for the decapsulated brine eggs or the 'instant' baby brine shrimp. Just get the regular eggs w/o any additives. Are there none at your LFS? you could even go to the big-name ones like petco for brine shrimp eggs, they're pretty cheap and not much can be done wrong with them. That way you can avoid paying for shipping.

I found this site pretty helpful when attempting to raise brine.

good luck.

Oh i just wanted some that didn't have salt with the egg. and that was the only brand at my LFS and petco didn't have any and i check their website. I'm going to check some more stores out but i might buy that hatchery from drfostersmith and some more eggs. I'm just still looking around and researching. I'm not sure if the gallon jug will work cause i keep find egg laying around at the bottom or in the handle.

ImitateMe if you want ill buy some of your babies from you and pay for shipping if i can 2-3priority lol but i would like to see some pics first.

Dude I have no problem. But there will be some problems. One my Girlfriend would kick my butt, b/c they are her babies. But I will sell them all day. First I would like to say that if you don't think you can feed like 6 times a day and put eyes on them every so often, then don't get babies or let them have babies. I do use a mix of the instant brine. It actually helps, and I use the DrT's shrimp eggs as well. I did hatch fresh babies for the first 2 weeks. They were about the size of an eyelash! But I have been calling my Girlfriend and trying to wake her up. I will post ASAP!!!! Take care

OK so I got some pics, and some pics of the new adventure. It's only in its beginning stages and I am testing it out now. I have been doing a nearly 100% water change ever 2 days. If it holds, and continues to please and amaze me, then I might put a single dwarf seahorse in there. MAYBE..... Anyways, here are the pics. 3gal

3gal1

3gal3

3gal2

mininano

mininano1

mininano2

mininano3

This last one has my mini snail in top left. Take care

Looks good, so is it legal to just take them in FL? And keep us posted in the baby brine. I'm sure it'll work out for you. You guys are really making me want some little guys again!

My 2 cents.

You'll probably need live bbs, so i would not get decapped or instant baby brine shrimp.

I would stay away fron the in-tank hatchery, they will quickly pollute your tank. And you'll want to rinse any brine shrimp in clean freshwater before putting them in the main tank to reduce the nasty stuff getting into your tank. Once you see what the hatch water looks like after a batch you'll see what i mean.

I've been using the hatchery disk from brineshrimpdirect for the last 2 years. Small dish, no air pumps, no heaters, no mess, great at separating the shells from the bbs, and it comes with it's own little strainer.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/Hatchery-Dish-p183.html

I've got a pair of blue stripe pipe fish who almost exclusively eat live brine. Every friday I setup the dish using a 60w bulb in a cheap clip on light. By saturday morning (12-14 hrs) i've got the batch starting to hatch. I spend the next 4-6 hours intermittently collecting bbs which I put into a small plastic cup that i keep in the fridge. That one hatch lasts me all week. Not sure how much 4 dwarfs could possibly eat, but I bet you could get by with one hatch a week until you had babies to feed.

As far as eggs, there are 2 strains .... I believe the san fran strain is smaller then the utah strain and if I remember correctly my hatchery disk came with a bottle of the utah strain. I bet the adults could take the larger utah strain, and you may need the smaller strain for any babies you plan to raise. You'll want to keep the eggs in the back of the freezer so they stay frozen.

OK so I got some pics, and some pics of the new adventure. It's only in its beginning stages and I am testing it out now. I have been doing a nearly 100% water change ever 2 days. If it holds, and continues to please and amaze me, then I might put a single dwarf seahorse in there. MAYBE..... Anyways, here are the pics. 3gal

3gal1

3gal3

3gal2

mininano

mininano1

mininano2

mininano3

This last one has my mini snail in top left. Take care

Just curious how big is your mini nano? is it one of those betta cube? and where did you catch these little horse. i could save more and just drive and catch it lol

Looks good, so is it legal to just take them in FL? And keep us posted in the baby brine. I'm sure it'll work out for you. You guys are really making me want some little guys again!

I believe it is.. they dont sound endangered. and it sounds fun catching them.

My 2 cents.

You'll probably need live bbs, so i would not get decapped or instant baby brine shrimp.

I would stay away fron the in-tank hatchery, they will quickly pollute your tank. And you'll want to rinse any brine shrimp in clean freshwater before putting them in the main tank to reduce the nasty stuff getting into your tank. Once you see what the hatch water looks like after a batch you'll see what i mean.

I've been using the hatchery disk from brineshrimpdirect for the last 2 years. Small dish, no air pumps, no heaters, no mess, great at separating the shells from the bbs, and it comes with it's own little strainer.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/Hatchery-Dish-p183.html

I've got a pair of blue stripe pipe fish who almost exclusively eat live brine. Every friday I setup the dish using a 60w bulb in a cheap clip on light. By saturday morning (12-14 hrs) i've got the batch starting to hatch. I spend the next 4-6 hours intermittently collecting bbs which I put into a small plastic cup that i keep in the fridge. That one hatch lasts me all week. Not sure how much 4 dwarfs could possibly eat, but I bet you could get by with one hatch a week until you had babies to feed.

As far as eggs, there are 2 strains .... I believe the san fran strain is smaller then the utah strain and if I remember correctly my hatchery disk came with a bottle of the utah strain. I bet the adults could take the larger utah strain, and you may need the smaller strain for any babies you plan to raise. You'll want to keep the eggs in the back of the freezer so they stay frozen.

could you post some pics of your 'dish'? I'm really intrigued as to how it works and how you have it set up. and why exactly do you keep the brine eggs in the freezer?

LOL so heres an update. i got my refund and i think my phase of sea horses died and the tank been sitting there so clean. and i change my mind on fishes like every 2 weeks. im feeling an octopus for the tank. Dwarf Octopus i mean. And siliconing it with an acrylic lid. The brine shrimp thing didn't work out for me. but still working on it

You know alot of your questions can be answered at seahorse.org and how come most of them used or decapuslate their eggs.

Yeah i posted on there too, but i just gave up on the brine shrimp and not feeling it no more. Like i have a total of 7 main tanks both in FL and TX so im going to eventually going for some sea horse. Ill still think about the sea horse.

LOL so heres an update. i got my refund and i think my phase of sea horses died and the tank been sitting there so clean. and i change my mind on fishes like every 2 weeks. im feeling an octopus for the tank. Dwarf Octopus i mean. And siliconing it with an acrylic lid. The brine shrimp thing didn't work out for me. but still working on it

I think this tank would be too small for any octopus. plus they can get out of the smallest holes so the tank would have to be very well covered.

Archived