ReefCleaners.org

Tanngu87 6 Gallon Sea Horse Tank

Tanngu87

There isn't a specific amount - like a number or anything.. If I remember right, if you were to dip a pencil eraser into water, and then into the container of eggs- you'd have the right amount. One of those for each container you want to make.

They sell "brine shrimp nets", usually by all the other nets in most fish stores. There are other methods.. I can't remember which worked the best. I think coffee filters MIGHT work-- you're best bet is to just get a good BS net over the web.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the brine shrimp net is a very fine net, so it would make sense to use that net specifically.

I remember it was the less shrimp eggs you put in per container, the better the hatch rate.

I'll wait for Noonan to confirm that though...

thats the stuff I have. what exactly is wrong with it? are you saying that the package is dusty? or do you think that one of the packages ruptured? is only like $3 I say buy it if you cannot find anything else...

thats the stuff I have. what exactly is wrong with it? are you saying that the package is dusty? or do you think that one of the packages ruptured? is only like $3 I say buy it if you cannot find anything else...

the packages inside look like it might be rupture but mine isnt 3 dollars its 6 dollars lol

Yeah that looks funky..

The eggs that I used to use were brown, it's possible that these were de-shelled, which is a good thing.

Yeah i think imma test it and pray that it'll work. and does it have to be a 2 lt bottle? i have plenty of 1 gallon chickfila bottle

Ahh that makes sense..

assuming you mixed it with fw?

Instruction said to pour the whole package in a 1 liter bottle but i took a pinch so im trying saltwater and added a little freshwater first.

P3110119.jpg

Placed it in my closet. does it need light?

nah you shouldn't have used the whole package... thats way too many eggs >_<

but w/e it does not need light until you want to harvest. the baby shrimp gravitate toward the light.

Looks awesome man! Can't wait for the little guys to get here! Like your set up for the shrimp too. Ill definitely have to try that next time :)

What kind of sea horse is that??

Figured that that is the gorgonian pygmy seahorse. you NEED to have a live gorgonian coral in order to have these.

They might even be endangered too so idk how someone would get these :P

Figured that that is the gorgonian pygmy seahorse. you NEED to have a live gorgonian coral in order to have these.

They might even be endangered too so idk how someone would get these :P

Thanks Alex! i gotta see how the brine shrimp do when i get home. im hoping i get to see something swim.

If i get my hand on these and successfully breed them i think i see alot of :bling: LOL

and if they were endangered i think i can get sponsors to pay for the food to help breed them back to their poplation HAHA =] But really i think im going to stick with the dwarf sea horses first.

Thanks Alex! i gotta see how the brine shrimp do when i get home. im hoping i get to see something swim.

If i get my hand on these and successfully breed them i think i see alot of :bling: LOL

and if they were endangered i think i can get sponsors to pay for the food to help breed them back to their poplation HAHA =] But really i think im going to stick with the dwarf sea horses first.

Found Some more info about these seahorses.

http://pygmyseahorses.com/

I've hatched brine shrimps aplenty. due to the lack of a spare heater I had the container with eggs hanging in the inside of my DT. I'd get plenty of hatched shrimp but could never bring them up to adult size...

What you bought in the first pic is definitely brine shrimp eggs mixed with salt, I'd go with eggs packed without salt in the future and preferably ones that haven't been sitting long on the shelf. I also keep mine in the refrigerator but i'm not sure if that has to be done, read that it increases shelf life..

I think i missed it, what kind of pygmy sea horses are you getting?

I've hatched brine shrimps aplenty. due to the lack of a spare heater I had the container with eggs hanging in the inside of my DT. I'd get plenty of hatched shrimp but could never bring them up to adult size...

What you bought in the first pic is definitely brine shrimp eggs mixed with salt, I'd go with eggs packed without salt in the future and preferably ones that haven't been sitting long on the shelf. I also keep mine in the refrigerator but i'm not sure if that has to be done, read that it increases shelf life..

I think i missed it, what kind of pygmy sea horses are you getting?

These are regular dwarf seahorses from http://Ccritters.com

If i succeed i'll love to get some more exotic pygmy sea horse in the future.

those are some pretty cool seahorses, and not too expensive either, I might try such a project in the future, I'll be tagging along :)

WOW!! I don't know how I passed this up. About 2 months ago, My Girlfriend and I went to the keys. On the first night using a net through the grass at knee high(for some) we found some dwarf sea horses. We brought the 3 home, and then it happened. I got a jbj pico on sale at MD for $34's and I had it set up with black sand b/c I like the look. I had put in a 1" pvc pipe and was running it as a surface skimmer. Worked great, accept that even with filter floss closing the gap at top, they still managed to get down there, and hold on to the intake. I actually think they like it, for it cleaned them very well. One died due to it attaching itself to live rock, and drowning. It happens. We now have Sponge Bob's pineapple house in there, with fake sea grass. We also have 17 babies that are now on day 40 something. We have only lost one! The filtration has since been changed. Aqua-lifter into pico filter. Filter has a custom cut tea bag (LOL) with carbon/phos/sil remover in it. Works rather well. Also so cheato in there. I have some xenia at the bottom and a sexy shrimp. Very fun animals. All of them. The babies are great, and eat all day. When I get home, I have to post on here. I didn't think anyone would be interested. Until tonight take care.

Archived