Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tanngu87 6 Gallon Sea Horse Tank

Tanngu87

So im taking the Dwarf Sea Horse Project.

Tank is a 6 Gallon Bookshelf

Filtration=Fuge(chaeto) with a HOB filter

Light= JBJ Pictope Stock lighting

Food for seahorses: Brine Shrimp and Copepods

The God Parent of Sea Horses= lex0219 :D

2 Pair Of Dwarf Sea Horse

P3100111.jpg

My Personal Research Library.(if you have any links please share!)

http://pygmyseahorses.com/

http://Seahorse.org

http://www.fusedjaw.com/generalcare/dwarf-seahorses-as-pets/

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing how murky your tank is after fillup gives me some relief. I just filled mine with new water & sand, and it's not QUITE as murky as yours. :)

I can't wait to see how your tank turns out. I just checked out http://www.ccritters.com/ too.... let us know how your experience with them goes.

So im taking the Dwarf Sea Horse Project.

Tank is a 2 Gallon Hexagon.

Filtration=IDK yet.... Please Help ME!

Light= JBJ Pictope Stock lighting

The God Parent of Sea Horses= lex0219 :D

2 Pair Of Dwarf Sea Horse (Waiting to be Shipped From Ccritters) $26

Filtration is a problem in a Dwarf Sea Horse Project. You need to go low flow, but you also have a lot of waste because of constantly feeding live or frozen food. I'm not a fan of undergravel filters, which looks like you have. I think I've also read that bubbles can be a big problem with Sea Horses, they can't pass them if ingested, I believe. You could possibly do a reverse flow undergravel filter, where you use a small powerhead with a sponge pre-filter blowing down the tube. They have been out of fashion for a long time, but might work if you cleaned the prefilter often and did regular water changes. The prefilter sponge might turn into the main feeding area, much like a sponge filter attracts shrimp in a FW planted tank

FYI - rinse your sand before adding water ... :P

-Rick

Looking forward to seeing it progress! Subscribed.

What species of Dwarf Seahorse?

I love these!!!

pygmy_seahorse_pink.jpg

What kind of sea horse is that??

And i might be changing tank so it'll be bigger.

I just found a spot for my 28 Gallon Coffee Tank and ill be putting the Sea Horse Tank over that tank

Planning to transfer in the top tank.

P3030082.jpg

Its the a 6 Gallon Petco Bookshelf Tank

Filtration:Still Dunno

Light:15W Fluorescent

With the six I would go with a reg HOB power filter with the sponge over the intake like I mentioned before. I used the whisper 10 and had good luck with it. Just remember that the LR could actually be harmful to dwarfs as well. And add plenty of hitching posts! Some Caulerpa and you can always add a few pieces of very died out rock for a more natural look.

Looking forward to seeing it progress! Subscribed.

What species of Dwarf Seahorse?

I love these!!!

pygmy_seahorse_pink.jpg

Hippocampus bargibanti , commonly refereed to as the Bargibant’s seahorse or Pygmy seahorse. I have never seen them in captivity or heard of them being kept. Would love to though lol.

The species Tanngu87 will be keeping is Hippocampus zosterae commonly refereed to as Dwarf seahorses.

Another small species is Hippocampus beijkie which again I have never seen or heard of being kept.

With the six I would go with a reg HOB power filter with the sponge over the intake like I mentioned before. I used the whisper 10 and had good luck with it. Just remember that the LR could actually be harmful to dwarfs as well. And add plenty of hitching posts! Some Caulerpa and you can always add a few pieces of very died out rock for a more natural look.

Hippocampus bargibanti , commonly refereed to as the Bargibant’s seahorse or Pygmy seahorse. I have never seen them in captivity or heard of them being kept. Would love to though lol.

The species Tanngu87 will be keeping is Hippocampus zosterae commonly refereed to as Dwarf seahorses.

Another small species is Hippocampus beijkie which again I have never seen or heard of being kept.

So i sat and thought about it. and i was planning on doing HOB as a filter. But if have time tomorrow i might go to Home depot and grab some acrylic and do AIO since i gotta do the Coffee Table anywase but if i dont have time then ill just do HOB probably a small pico filter that i got from the JBJ

lex0219 i think youre a sea horse god! LOL

So i sat and thought about it. and i was planning on doing HOB as a filter. But if have time tomorrow i might go to Home depot and grab some acrylic and do AIO since i gotta do the Coffee Table anywase but if i dont have time then ill just do HOB probably a small pico filter that i got from the JBJ

Sounds good! That would look sweet! When do they get in BTW?

lex0219 i think youre a sea horse god! LOL

You can call me Alex ;)

Haha but thanks I appreciate it! :D I am far from it though. Just passing on the fraction of knowledge I do posses about the subject. Research helps a lot too :P

LOL i didnt know if you wanted to let out your real name haha!

but i've done a couple research from seahorse.org but i still dont know how to tell which one will be male and female. (NVM I FOUMD OUT HOW)

And they told me that they will leave tuesday. and they told me that they will be fine if i did a 2-3 day shipping so i choose that method. So i think Thursday or Friday.

I forgot if ccritters guarantees there livestock.

Lol letting out my first name (really my nickname) doesn't bother me.

But awesome, if your in FL now to it should only take a day or two.

Lol letting out my first name (really my nickname) doesn't bother me.

But awesome, if your in FL now to it should only take a day or two.

Yeah it should. But i was ordering a book from tampa and saint petersburg is like 30 min away. and UPS took my book all the way orlando then back to me. so i hope it takes 1 day. I really hope they dont do that and get my little horses lost.

I feel like naming them. Just because i know im going to get attach.

oh and i was thinking about ordering some from sealifeinc.net. the horses are a little more expensive but shipping is 5 dollar cheaper.

I would go with ccritters because they are pairs unless you can request that at the other site, though both are wild caught from the same area I'm sure so you would get fairly whichever you prefer really. I'd see which has gotten better feedback. But I know what you mean. The same thing happened to me here lol.

Your kinda making me want to set up another Dwarf set up. . . or possibly get a pair or two of erectus. . . But no I cant. 20 high reef first.

I would go with ccritters because they are pairs unless you can request that at the other site, though both are wild caught from the same area I'm sure so you would get fairly whichever you prefer really. I'd see which has gotten better feedback. But I know what you mean. The same thing happened to me here lol.

Your kinda making me want to set up another Dwarf set up. . . or possibly get a pair or two of erectus. . . But no I cant. 20 high reef first.

HAHA youre right. its a fun project. But im doing 2 project at once lol

i just emailed them last night and i order 2 pair but they didnt list if they were gonna give me 2 male or 2 female, 2 mate pair, or even 1 mated pair and a random pair. So they emailed me back this morning and they told me they invoiced me 2 random pair and they asked me to just picked 2 pairs and emailed them back so i did :P . whoo! good thing i checked. i just hope they dont get charged more -_-

i just emailed them last night and i order 2 pair but they didnt list if they were gonna give me 2 male or 2 female, 2 mate pair, or even 1 mated pair and a random pair. So they emailed me back this morning and they told me they invoiced me 2 random pair and they asked me to just picked 2 pairs and emailed them back so i did :P . whoo! good thing i checked. i just hope they dont get charged more -_-

A Lil update. Ccritter ran out of mated pair so im waiting til the week of march 14

Archived