ReefCleaners.org

flatworms galore... I need help!

RedMan25xl

I dont have a picture because its too small for my camera to focus on but its tiny, maybe 1/8th inch or smaller. its a darkish green, somewhat transparent. It just kinda makes it way around the glass. but still no id.

oh and shape looks pretty flat and slender.

if anyone has a picture or what they think it might be I could compare.

thanks Star,

that may be it. its so small that the only shape i see is long and slender but in reading the description it is probably it. when it got in some current a small circle of it was still connected to the glass while the body flailed.

Nuke them with flatworm exit, change half the water 24 hours later and get a sixline wrasse. Do you have some full tank pics I don't see a tank thread. Just curiuos because I live in Texarkana, always on the lookout for someone close to swap frags with

Don't let them do their thing....

They multiply so fast it will blow your mine.

They were going nuts in my tank over a few day period and I got a six line and he eradicated them.

i have a 1.5g. sixline would have panic attack

and how could i syphon for excess fw's. total water volume with ac20 is maybe 1.1g

kennyboy019

Its no guarantee that a six-line will eat them. I bought one explicitly for my flatworms and he hasnt touched them! I know that a Velvet Nudibranch will eat them, but they ONLY eat flatworms so you need a constant supply of them. Im thinking of getting one, I figure I have more than enough in my tank to feed one, and they have a really short lifespan anyways.

With that small of a tank so early in the cycle I would just get the FWE. You have nothing in there that it could hurt other than the flatworms.

cheryl jordan

The flatworms you can see, are just the beginning. If you can see that many in the pic there are hundreds more. Do not waste your money on a 6 line, just use the Flatworm Exit and get ride of the problem now, because I promise you it will get worse. There are thousands of types of flatworms and some are ok and self regulate, but the brown/reddish ones will over take your tank quickly. Do yourself a favor and treat the tank before you start aquiring things even a CUC. You may have to treat twice, but in the long run you will be saving yourself from a HUGE headache.

Its no guarantee that a six-line will eat them. I bought one explicitly for my flatworms and he hasnt touched them! I know that a Velvet Nudibranch will eat them, but they ONLY eat flatworms so you need a constant supply of them. Im thinking of getting one, I figure I have more than enough in my tank to feed one, and they have a really short lifespan anyways.

With that small of a tank so early in the cycle I would just get the FWE. You have nothing in there that it could hurt other than the flatworms.

I say use Flatworm Exit. I bought a sixline about a year ago and I swear that thing doesn't even touch my LR or the Worms. I've had sixlines in the past that were constantly picking a things in cracks and crevices. This one is pretty much useless. Just be ready with a lot of water to do changes because the worms may spike your system.

cheryl jordan
ok fwe it is

it wont hurt other hitch hikers on my lr?

When flatworms die they release a poison, which is why you have to do a large W/C after treatment. Inverts tend to be more sensitve to the treatment ie: mini-brittle stars, hemit crabs. Large population of FW = Large release of toxins = Large water change. I think you are making the right decision in treating now, you may have some die off on the LR, but it is worth it. I once saw an entire fish store have to battle this type of FW and that was before they had Flatworm exit. The FWs were everywhere yet people still bought pieces from there dah. There is also the lovely acropora eating FW, best to get rid of them now.

Def siphon out as many as you can before treating with FWE. Like others have said they give off a toxin when they die. When I treated all my micro brittles came running out of the rocks and locked up into groups completely paralyzed. They ended up recovering tho, I thought I had killed them all. Have a fresh bag of carbon ready to run as well.

ive been taking a turkey baster and getting them off rock many many times throughout the day. I heard they don't llike flow. Im thinking I may have problems syphoning with such a small water volume. maybe just use super small tubing?

with the size of your tank you could just yank the rock out and FW dip, and just siphon out the rest, but once again just use the FWE it is GOOOD stuff.

24hrs after using fwe I still have fw's. most died and i syphoned out about 50. but a few remained and now i see a couple on the glass. Should I try it again tonight and maybe dose a little more or should I wait?

dose again maybe a little stronger, the FWE isn't supposed to do anything but kill the FW the reason you have to be careful with it is the FW release toxins when they die. Dose up and change all the water after you see them ALL die wait a day or two then change the water.

cheryl jordan
dose again maybe a little stronger, the FWE isn't supposed to do anything but kill the FW the reason you have to be careful with it is the FW release toxins when they die. Dose up and change all the water after you see them ALL die wait a day or two then change the water.

+1 yes remember you may have to dose twice, but I would not wait a day or two to do the water change. But I would increase the dose.

I take that back if you have nothing in your tank I would wait overnight to to the W/C just to make sure they are all dead.

so should i do say a 50% water change?

I put in in 30 mins ago. none are on the glass now but i see a maybe 20 on the sandbed behind my rock work but I dont think they are moving at all. brittles absolutely do not like this stuff.

cheryl jordan

It says a 25% change minium. Since you wiped out the vast majority on the first treatment I would not do a 50% unless that makes you feel more comfortable. You have a big tank 50% is alot of water. I still think you will be glad you went with the FWE in the long run. So many types of FW and they may not have eaten anything but they are unsightly especially in large numbers, and hard to get rid of after they get a foot hold. Good luck.

Thanks Cheryl. I will do a water change in a few hours just to make sure they are done with. but looks like this should be the end of them. fingerscrossed

got home from work and flatworms on the glass again. i did 2.5 drops last night. it says 4drops for 5 gal. I only have 1.1g of water. why won't the all die?

so my question is, whats the next step?

Archived