inTank Media Baskets

March 2010 - Zook

Christopher Marks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree..... Beautiful tank. Great lay-out, beautiful corals.

But, how do I bring this up tactfully, is the tang necessary in a 20 gallon tank?

For March we're featuring Zook and his 20 gallon nano reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find Zook's tank journal here in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for Zook, and he'll try his best to answer them.

OMG.... your tank is gorgeous!

I agree..... Beautiful tank. Great lay-out, beautiful corals.

But, how do I bring this up tactfully, is the tang necessary in a 20 gallon tank?

..... absolutely beautiful. And glad you brought it up not me. That tank is sweet.

Thank you everyone for your kind praises.

The tank is what it is thanks to this Yellow Tang. I had a very nuisance macroalgae that I've tried a variety of methods to control. You can see the algae in the photo below; it looks like a thin, attached version of Chaetomorpha and nothing like hair algae or Bryopsis.

4283566475_d9a5040ab8.jpg

A Long Spine Urchin kept it under control to some extent, but the urchin got too big to be able to reach the smaller areas and it also took pieces of coral tissue off while it was grazing. A Tang was my last resort and I've talked about it, but never actually got one. Well, I came home to a Yellow Tang in my tank one night as a buddy of mine got into my room while I was away and replaced a Yellow Tang with one of my Dragonface Pipefish.

Needless to say, the algae was gone after a few days and I find little reasons to remove the Tang. It's the primary fish in the tank with plenty of space to swin around; it's a small Tang and the picture below can show you how big it is compared to the overall tank dimensions. I have pairs of Neon Goby to keep it clean, I feed it live and dried macroalgae dried algae as well as prepared omnivore diets, and I let it play with my algae scraper every few days. I find the Tang very content and healthy.

4400397698_f4fe906153.jpg

I hope I wasn't too defensive and my apologies to anyone who might be upset at my keeping a Tang in my system.

In 5 or 6 years of visiting this site this is the first time I've taken time to post a reply on TOTM. Not because there haven't been some gorgeous tanks - I just haven't been "moved" enough to post. That's just changed :D. Your tank is simply awesome. It's one of the most beautiful tanks that I've ever seen. I love all of the colors - it's like a rainbow in there. I also think your tang is the cherry on the top. It looks like the dimensions of the tank give him/her lots of swimming space.

Awesome tank, congrats :)

Thanks everyone, you guys are churning some funny emotions in my stomach. It's also maybe cause it's passed lunch time as well :D

Archived