ReefCleaners.org

34 Gallon Solana Build.. (pictures updated May 24))

rick4him

I started my first ever saltwater tank about a year ago. (I've always done fresh water, planted tanks - I have a nice, big ADA tank with the grand solar 1). I always thought Saltwater tanks looked so beautiful, and always wanted to try one. For some reason this weekend I decided to redo my saltwater tank...Well that turned into buying an entire new tank! ha,ha... (don't you hate that.)

I took almost everything form the first tank, and put it in the new tank, and this time tried to take what I learned from the first one to (hopefully) make a better second. I ended up with this new tank, and had enough "stuff" to still keep the other tank going. I have it going now, with no fish. I'm thinking of putting a puffer fish in the old one...

I want to get some advice from the reef pros...Here are some pics from the tank as it was on Firday...

DSC_2835.jpg

DSC_2840.jpg

DSC_2843.jpg

And is my tank after a weekend's worth of work. I took the "less is more" approach and made things a bit cleaner. I have some stuff on rocks that I want to grow in...and I took out lots of the mushroom rocks, and GSP...They were taking over my old tank, and didn't want them to do the same to this tank....

DSC_2901.jpg

DSC_2898.jpg

DSC_2905.jpg

DSC_2909.jpg

DSC_2913.jpg

I know it's not as packed out as it was, but hopefully this is a better job then the first.

Feel free to let me know of any other corals I should add...

Let me know what you think....

Looks really nice!

What size tank is this new one?

Hey thanks! You think I scaped it better then the first one?

It's a 35 gallon solana...

def like the scape.

I'm sorta hoping you used some water from your old system in the new one along with all the rock/sand to skip a cycle..

oh and do go for a puffer, I had the opportunity to babysit one for a few weeks (a dogface) and it had such an awesome personality. not invert safe tho.

def like the scape.

I'm sorta hoping you used some water from your old system in the new one along with all the rock/sand to skip a cycle..

Thanks for all the feedback! I spent alot of time on this thing, glad to see it's actually worthy of some props!

And you bet! I used over half the water from the old tank, plus almost all of the live rock, plus 2 big cups of the old dirty live sand!

Just checked all my stats and everything is looking good!

Thanks for all the feedback! I spent alot of time on this thing, glad to see it's actually worthy of some props!

And you bet! I used over half the water from the old tank, plus almost all of the live rock, plus 2 big cups of the old dirty live sand!

Just checked all my stats and everything is looking good!

I added a few things...some new zoas, etc.. Still thinking I need to go higher with the rocks...what do you guys think? Maybe do something with the side as well. How does the placement of everything look? I'm thinking things will look nice when the zoas grow in. I really like these cool orange zoas, and these awesome looking bright pink ones. I still don't know what to put on the very top of the layout. I have some digitia that I think will look cool when it grows upward... I'm open to any ideas you guys have!

DSC_2967.jpg

DSC_2966.jpg

DSC_2961.jpg

DSC_2942.jpg

DSC_2954.jpg

DSC_2972.jpg

New tank looks MUCH better. Love the scape. Get some RICS!!!!!

Hey thanks! I have a few in there now.. (they are on the bottom right) I also have one on the side near where the return is blowing out. It's blowing out really hard and I don't know how to "help" him, or move him. I can't take the rock out to get him out. He is super flat because of the return blowing on him. Any ideas?

Also where do you think I should put some rics? I don't want them to take over and start covering up my zoas...where would be good placement in my tank?

Also colors you think would look good in here?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Just wanted to show you some pictures of the tank, and fill you in on a few upgrades I made. I upgraded the skimmer to a Tunze 9002, and added the lights from inTank to turn chamber 2 into a mini-refugium. I also added 2 - koralia k2's for water flow. Big thanks to hoss for coming over and helping me with a little bit of rescaping, and for giving me TONS of advice...! Things are going good, and here are some pictures of the set up. Hope you enjoy...!

DSC_3180.jpg

DSC_3090.jpg

DSC_3091.jpg

DSC_3108.jpg

DSC_3109.jpg

DSC_3113.jpg

DSC_3116.jpg

DSC_3117.jpg

DSC_3139.jpg

DSC_3160.jpg

DSC_3135.jpg

DSC_3161.jpg

DSC_3139.jpg

DSC_3181.jpg

DSC_3192.jpg

DSC_3194.jpg

DSC_3195.jpg

DSC_3196.jpg

DSC_3205.jpg

DSC_3219.jpg

DSC_3223.jpg

DSC_3225.jpg

DSC_3227.jpg

DSC_3231.jpg

DSC_3234.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well It's been a while, but I wanted to update you all on my tank. For the most part things are doing well. I had an outbreak of bryopsis about two months ago, and I upped my Ma with Kent Tech-M to about 1700 and it seems to be going away very slowly. I think there was some GHA mixed in with the bryopsis, but I"m not sure. (Perhaps someone can let me know what sort of allege it looks like I still have).

I also have some weird stuff going on with my green slimmers. It looks like 2 different colors, I can't tell what is going on. Is it dying? Or coloring up? What advice do you have for that?

As far as my system I have made the following upgrades -

- EcoTech MP10

- Tunze 9002 Skimmer (1st Chamber)

- 2nd chamber - blue filter floss on top plate, lights from intank, cheato algae, and then a packet of Chemi Pure Elite sitting on top of the bottom plate.

- Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO (3rd chamber)

I am running an Outer Orbit 150 watt HQI (14K Phoenix) with 2 65x2 actinic bulbs lighting system.

I run the hqi for 8 hours and the actinic bulbs for 10 hours.

I do a 4 gallon water change once a week. I feed 1/2 cube of Mysis shrimp every 3 days, add 1/8 teaspoon of coral frenzy 1 x a week, 1 capful of Reef Plus 1 x week, and about every 2 weeks add 2 caps of Brightwell Ca. (I've also been raising my Ma up to 1700 the last 2 months to combat the bryopsis.

My live stock is 1 True prec, 1 6-line Wrasse, 1 yellow - jaw, 1 Blenny (forget what kind) - I had a pink spotted goby, and a purple firefish that I haven't seen in a while....and 1 other small true prec that got caught in my mp10...So it would seem I'm pretty light stocked.

Here are some pictures. If you have any advice about my tank, placement of live stock, mp10, or any other advice I would appreciate it.

DSC_4619.jpg

DSC_4512.jpg

DSC_4522.jpg

DSC_4524.jpg

DSC_4526.jpg

DSC_4529.jpg

DSC_4530.jpg

DSC_4531.jpg

DSC_4532.jpg

DSC_4538.jpg

DSC_4543.jpg

DSC_4544.jpg

DSC_4548.jpg

DSC_4546.jpg

DSC_4549.jpg

DSC_4554.jpg

DSC_4568.jpg

DSC_4569.jpg

DSC_4551.jpg

DSC_4570.jpg

DSC_4576.jpg

DSC_4594.jpg

DSC_4600.jpg

DSC_4599.jpg

DSC_4602.jpg

DSC_4602.jpg

DSC_4623.jpg

DSC_4624.jpg

DSC_4635.jpg

DSC_4632.jpg

DSC_4637.jpg

Well It's been a while, but I wanted to update you all on my tank. For the most part things are doing well. I had an outbreak of bryopsis about two months ago, and I upped my Ma with Kent Tech-M to about 1700 and it seems to be going away very slowly. I think there was some GHA mixed in with the bryopsis, but I"m not sure. (Perhaps someone can let me know what sort of allege it looks like I still have).

I also have some weird stuff going on with my green slimmers. It looks like 2 different colors, I can't tell what is going on. Is it dying? Or coloring up? What advice do you have for that?

As far as my system I have made the following upgrades -

- EcoTech MP10

- Tunze 9002 Skimmer (1st Chamber)

- 2nd chamber - blue filter floss on top plate, lights from intank, cheato algae, and then a packet of Chemi Pure Elite sitting on top of the bottom plate.

- Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO (3rd chamber)

I am running an Outer Orbit 150 watt HQI (14K Phoenix) with 2 65x2 actinic bulbs lighting system.

I run the hqi for 8 hours and the actinic bulbs for 10 hours.

I do a 4 gallon water change once a week. I feed 1/2 cube of Mysis shrimp every 3 days, add 1/8 teaspoon of coral frenzy 1 x a week, 1 capful of Reef Plus 1 x week, and about every 2 weeks add 2 caps of Brightwell Ca. (I've also been raising my Ma up to 1700 the last 2 months to combat the bryopsis.

My live stock is 1 True prec, 1 6-line Wrasse, 1 yellow - jaw, 1 Blenny (forget what kind) - I had a pink spotted goby, and a purple firefish that I haven't seen in a while....and 1 other small true prec that got caught in my mp10...So it would seem I'm pretty light stocked.

Here are some pictures. If you have any advice about my tank, placement of live stock, mp10, or any other advice I would appreciate it.

DSC_4619.jpg

DSC_4512.jpg

DSC_4522.jpg

DSC_4524.jpg

DSC_4526.jpg

DSC_4529.jpg

DSC_4530.jpg

DSC_4531.jpg

DSC_4532.jpg

DSC_4538.jpg

DSC_4543.jpg

DSC_4544.jpg