Pod Your Reef

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys :happy:

And now it sits, because at some point during our move from VA to SC I managed to lose my heater and auto top off that I had for it. I've got a heater coming in Monday, but I'm not spending another $50 on a top off when I know we still have the first one somewhere.

So I'd say by mid week we should have water and rocks!

It's very hard to come by and very expensive.

Nah it's just an Ikea bookshelf. It was probably $70 including the 2 baskets.

very very nice. i think i was actually eyeing that ikea thing in white when i was brainstorming stand ideas for my tank. your setup looks great.

and it only gets better and better! haha

makes me wants to start a new build and Im not even finish with my current build yet!

Not going to lie, I think this setup could pull off what I did with my tank much much better than mine does. Just a thought :mellow: .

I expect our tanks will be pretty similar except that mine won't be drilled. I had strongly considered it as I'd really like to have a fuge, but it's just not worth it for a tank this simple. I'm shooting for a minimalist setup that's as clean as possible. I think the difference will be that I'm planning on only softies (predominately zoanthids and gorgonians) and an invert heavy tank. I love unique inverts. But the theme for this tank is movement.

very very nice. i think i was actually eyeing that ikea thing in white when i was brainstorming stand ideas for my tank. your setup looks great.

It's cheap, it's sturdy, and if you aren't planning on a sump it works out great :) I had been tossing around the idea of having a display fuge in one of the cubby holes before I realized these tanks weren't worth trying to drill. I still think that would look pretty cool.

Your house is too clean.

I have some Destructobots I could send over to take care of that for you.

Oh we've got 2 dogs that keep it plenty dirty :lol: I'm just throwing all of the junk out of sight before taking the pictures.

and it only gets better and better! haha

makes me wants to start a new build and Im not even finish with my current build yet!

Thanks! I've already got plans for a larger tank too but I'm just not going to go there till this one is nice and mature. I have an unhealthy obsession with lionfish :wub:

It's got water and sand in it now, I'm just waiting for it to clear a bit before I test out the Vortech :naughtydance:

I always feel a little odd calling a tank sexy, but in this case, it fits to a T.

Modern Stand / Hidden Equipment / ADA Tank = Success

This is going to be fantastic.

I expect our tanks will be pretty similar except that mine won't be drilled. I had strongly considered it as I'd really like to have a fuge, but it's just not worth it for a tank this simple. I'm shooting for a minimalist setup that's as clean as possible. I think the difference will be that I'm planning on only softies (predominately zoanthids and gorgonians) and an invert heavy tank. I love unique inverts. But the theme for this tank is movement.

I personally really like that you're going this direction.

I feel like too many ppl dismiss Softies when there are actually some really cool Softies out there and if you focus on some of the more unique ones you could have a pretty awesome tank.

I have a really neat Green Nepthea Leather that adds nice movement to my tank. LMK if you want a frag of it once you get this tank going and stabilized.

I also have some Green Encrusting Gorgonian I could frag for you.

3 Cheers for cool Softie Tanks!!!

I can respect that, it really was nerve wracking to drill mine. Minimalist with ADAs is always nice, so this should turn out well. If you're going for a softie tank, I think xenia actually looks pretty good in clean rimless tanks.

I personally really like that you're going this direction.

I feel like too many ppl dismiss Softies when there are actually some really cool Softies out there and if you focus on some of the more unique ones you could have a pretty awesome tank.

Oh don't get me wrong, I would love to have a lot of soft coral in my tank. I just think with a tank as small as mine, I need to keep everything very deliberate so nothing gets out of control. I know if I added a mushroom or something it would end up taking over before I could even think of what else I wanted.

Yup, pom pom xenia is on the list, I just have to figure out how to isolate it. That'll be our 1 weed for the tank.

Yup, pom pom xenia is on the list, I just have to figure out how to isolate it. That'll be our 1 weed for the tank.

You'll want to keep in mind that even if xenia is isolated, sometimes for unknown reasons they'll "drop" their hands which may re-attach themselves onto a crevice in your rockwork somewhere that you don't want. This has happened to me before, and I found that they're almost as invasive as aiptasia on some levels.

Yeah I'm prepared to take that risk. I'll just have to constantly fight to keep it where I want it. It's the one coral my wife insists on us having in this tank, there's no way out of it.

Plus I like it too.

4408875709_02a17df8a3_o.jpg

I still haven't decided how or if I'm going to hide the wires on that. I'd take pics of the tank but it's all cloudy. omg these pumps are fun :D

They're not really that bad in this size. Sure $175 is like 5 times more than a 20H would be, but why should the aquarium itself be the cheapest part of your setup?

Ya I hate how the wires on the Vortech controllers are positioned. Makes the thing awkward to mount and messy to look at. They should've found a way to consolidate some of the wires together... makes for a cleaner setup.

Archived