Top Shelf Aquatics

Matt's 20 Gallon

matth6761

I absolutely love your tank! I actually have an almost identical tank, Its a 20h with the aquaticlife 4bulb T5HO fixture with the ATI aquablue and blue+ bulbs in it. I too am running an aquaclear70 but mine has chemipure in it. I have had a lot of trouble finding the right skimmer but after seeing your setup i think i might look into the reef octopus bh1000 because of its footprint, external pump, and skimming ability. Is it loud at all by the way? As of yesterday i added my first montipora, i placed in near the top of the tank and i pray it will grow as nice as yours. Anyway enough rambling about mine, your tank is truly my inspiration.

• 1 month later...

@dannyloski- The micro bubbles will generally stop, or dramatically decrease after its run in period has been passed (usually around a week or two). If that doesnt get rid of them then i believe you can put a sponge or a piece of a micron bag on the outlet pipe and it should get rid of it. I dont have any issues with the micro bubbles after having it running for almost a month, i love the skimmer.

@dannyloski- The micro bubbles will generally stop, or dramatically decrease after its run in period has been passed (usually around a week or two). If that doesnt get rid of them then i believe you can put a sponge or a piece of a micron bag on the outlet pipe and it should get rid of it. I dont have any issues with the micro bubbles after having it running for almost a month, i love the skimmer.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I ended up putting a sponge/micro filter on the outlet pipe and that seemed to do the trick, although I did see the bubbles reducing day by day. Thanks though!

Upgrade? Or did you clear the tank out? :huh:

The twenty gallon is still running and healthy. The empty tank in the picture is a 40 gallon breeder that I picked up from Petco for, you guessed it, $40. To good a deal to pass up. I'm probably going to copy Steely185's system but I'll be using T5's. I haven't decided if I want to put the 20 gallon in it or build a new one and have 2 reefs.

• 1 month later...

Laughing my ass off at work, feel like an idiot, lol.

Also this

Doctor shrimp have now taken away so that cattle can breed up my pot, now my jar is basically no algae
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

2 year update!

6825043208_55c15bdac5_b.jpg

My montipora ate the yellow acropora a while back, setting off a slime reaction the did a number on my tank. The fish all fared just fine, but a few of my corals suffered greatly, with the acros and acans suffering the most. Things looked gross for a while, but everything is now recovering nicely.

6825043338_95d7da6911_b.jpg

A few new things popped up in the tank since my last update. A bunch of plating coraline just randomly started growing, as well as a strange green worm-like organism that just randomly appeared from nowhere as well.

6825043598_b2edff75ce_b.jpg

6971167445_a85ae2e21d_b.jpg

Right side shot:

6825043940_a7085fa785_b.jpg

6971167099_9dabde2167_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...