Coral Vue Hydros

Matt's 20 Gallon

matth6761

Got a nice mention on ReefThread.com's Noteworthy Tank section of their weekly podcast. Thanks for the shout-out, guys! You can listen to it here. You should listen to the whole thing (lots of good advice and info), but you can skip ahead to about 27 minutes in to hear the part about my tank. :-)

5927615629_3052d571c7_z.jpg

It's been 2 weeks since the big move. Everything is looking great. I went through and glued back all the corals that had gotten knocked off during the ride across town. I'm currently in the process of figuring out a way to hide the cords. They bug me. <_<

Cords bug me too! :happy: The tank is looking great in it's current spot. I'm glad it transitioned well from the move. Also, I want more pics! (and a video too!) ;)

Congrats on your move with your tank and sorry that I am joining the party thread late!

I have a question for you. I see you where using the Octopus Hang On the Back skimmer earlier in your tank progression, and from what I see now you are using the F & S Bio System Power Filter & Oxy Surface Skimmer. Is this correct? If so what made you decided to use one over the other, and how are you liking the F & S Skimmer?

Congrats on your move with your tank and sorry that I am joining the party thread late!

I have a question for you. I see you where using the Octopus Hang On the Back skimmer earlier in your tank progression, and from what I see now you are using the F & S Bio System Power Filter & Oxy Surface Skimmer. Is this correct? If so what made you decided to use one over the other, and how are you liking the F & S Skimmer?

Other way around. Started with the F&S filter and swapped it out for the skimmer later. Went with the skimmer because it does a lot more to make the reef healthier. The F&S is still a great filter though. I'd still use it if I had the space for it. The surface skimmer is a little temperamental, but it's awesome when it's working right.

Other way around. Started with the F&S filter and swapped it out for the skimmer later. Went with the skimmer because it does a lot more to make the reef healthier. The F&S is still a great filter though. I'd still use it if I had the space for it. The surface skimmer is a little temperamental, but it's awesome when it's working right.

How loud is your reef octo? I had a BH-100F in my 20tall and got rid of it almost immediately. It was way too loud for me.

How loud is your reef octo? I had a BH-100F in my 20tall and got rid of it almost immediately. It was way too loud for me.

The bh 1000 does make a little noise. The churn of the bubbles makes most of the noise though. The pump itself is very quiet. I've got my aquarium placed in the dining room and I rarely, if ever, find the sound disruptive.

5927615629_3052d571c7_z.jpg

It's been 2 weeks since the big move. Everything is looking great. I went through and glued back all the corals that had gotten knocked off during the ride across town. I'm currently in the process of figuring out a way to hide the cords. They bug me. <_<

Looking good. I am using something like this for hiding cords.

Where do you buy your corals?

The majority of my corals were purchased through various LFS around town, including The Deep and Aquariums Plus, both in Redding, CA. Both are great stores. I also got a few through Reef Empire's eBay auctions. Good looking corals and they ship super quick too. Both times I went through RE, I'd picked out and paid for the corals on Sunday, had my tracking number on Monday, and had them in my tank by 10am Tuesday.

Very Nice tank. i like the landscape. I am also starting a 20H. Did you have anything that inspired your aquascape design?

Thanks for the compliments! The biggest factor in the design of my scape was placing the live rock in a manner that would allow a mag-float scraper to get to all the surfaces of the inside of the tank. Other than that, I just placed corals where I thought they'd best benefit from the lighting and water flow and let them do their thing.

Hey what's your opinion on the reef octopus since u have a few months experience with it now. How's the skim, noise, mcro bubbles, pros and cons?

Stunning reef! I keep looking at the pics in amazement.

I am just now starting a 20 and your tank has convinced me that the Orphek LED pendant route I was about to go down may be a bit premature. If you were starting a brand new reef would you run the same lights or would you consider LEDs?

Hey what's your opinion on the reef octopus since u have a few months experience with it now. How's the skim, noise, mcro bubbles, pros and cons?

I think it's one of the best upgrades that I've put on my tank. Once it's broken in and adjusted properly, it works phenomenally. The pump on it is powerful, yet quiet, producing a serious column of bubbles that pull out chunky brown skim very quickly. It does make some audible noise with the churning of the bubbles, however I haven't found it disruptive at all. The water that's returned to the tank is crystal clear, with no micro bubbles at all. AND it was a great price too. Bulkreefsupply.com has them for $164. Worth every penny.

The only con that I can think of is that the surface skimming intake it a little finicky. The water level has to be monitored closely so the intake doesn't suck air. I find myself topping off twice a day, when I wake up and before I go to sleep. I guess it's a good thing though because it keeps the salinity at a more consistent level.

Stunning reef! I keep looking at the pics in amazement.

I am just now starting a 20 and your tank has convinced me that the Orphek LED pendant route I was about to go down may be a bit premature. If you were starting a brand new reef would you run the same lights or would you consider LEDs?

LED technology seems like it's shaping up the be a good quality light source, however I'm personally waiting for the price to come down, as well as to see some tanks that have been using LED's for a while and see what results they're getting in terms of coral growth.

For the time being however, I still stand by T5 because of the strong light as well as low heat and energy consumption.