Innovative Marine Aquariums

7.5g Filmstrip Log

Duncan

siliconbonding.jpg

some two weeks ago, i picked up a dusty old tank at the lfs. it was hidden among junks but it caught my eyes immediately. i had to buy it or someone else would. it was that attractive.

tank size is perfect, small and square. for some time, i have been thinking of down-sizing this hobby. the priorities are different now. ha.

anyway... the tank filtration needs to be in-tank, 'cos i need it to be compact. hence, for the past week, on and off, i have been hand sawing acrylic pieces and finally, just glued them down a couple of hours ago.

more to come. thanks for looking.

acrylicbonding.jpg

i have divided the back chamber into 2 equal-sized compartments, but i'm not saying what's the plan... yet. details will be revealed later. :)

the divider and the back wall are acrylic, hence the acrylic welding here.

i have made a mess out there, drips and splatters on the acrylics. if you don't know, the weld caused the acrylic surface to become permanent scarred. first timer job, but lesson learned. weld is extremely drippy. *sigh*

the only good thing was that most of the drips were on the divider, instead of the back wall. note, i used transparent acrylic.

k, all the bonds are to be cured for the next 3 days before the leak test. *pray*

thanks for looking around.

hi spanko, hi lalani, thanks for coming over!

not exactly the right words to use, but i kinda treated it as a house warming thing.

how's your tanks doing, lalani? i don't see any update nowadays...

but i must say, threads in this forum get buried quickly these days.

Ya, it's getting busier around here.. lots of tanks appearing every day.

My tanks are good.. started dosing for the first time, lol. Glad you're still in the game. :)

dosing! that's great! i used to have that dedication *sigh* but now i'm mostly hands off style.

i'm mostly lurking in the lounge these days. but i got some weird ideas for this tank, so watch out for it. :P

• 2 weeks later...

the first leak test failed miserably with two leaks. lame. :(

the first leak was from between the chamber and the display. i guess extra silicon does not necessarily equal watertight joint. the second leak was kind of expected and it came from the chambers' divider. I didn't "pat down" the silicon all the way into the edges.

well... it got me disheartened for a day or two. finally, i picked up the razor and sliced my wrist... nah, i cut away the silicon at the leaky joins and enjoyed the silicon fumes while i lay new beads of silicon.

check out the zoomed-in effects on puddles in the display. not funny.

leaktesting.jpg

siliconrepairing.jpg

while i was posing my handiwork aka the tank for its studio photo shoot, a tragic happened.

i accidentally knocked the tank against the hard tiled floor. the tank's bottom corner was shattered/chipped/cracked/whateverdamage. it wasn't that heavy of a knock, but a light collision. hence, i simply cannot understand why the severity of this damage.

the panic flashes like "omgomgomg!", "yeah, a new tank build again!", "why???", "global warming!" went off the chart.

"okay, now what?" my brain asked.

in a half-heartened attempt, i applied thick globs of silicon onto the shattered/chipped/cracked/whateverdamage corner. and it's now ready for the second leak test. Thanks for looking.

ps: and yeah, this is the full tank shot after the corner was damaged.

fts1.jpg

• 4 months later...

just wanna say this build did not go well. the cracked corner kept having shards falling out. i dumped the tank and got a new one, exactly the same. but i have not touch it yet.

hope that something will come out of this.

Archived