ReefCleaners.org

'Pet Bottle' ATO Shround

Nano sapiens

With a bit of time on my hands I figured it was time to properly hide my Petco ATO bottles.

Before:

DoubleBarreledATO.jpg

After:

12gATOCoverFront021510.jpg

Side slots on both sides to see the bottles' water levels:

12gATOCoverSide021510.jpg

Simple mod made out of 1/4" acrylic sheet and I had a local plastics shop bend the front corners for a more finished look.

Just wondering. How does those bottle work, how do you set them up? Ive never seen that method before.

Long version: Check my tank thread.

Short Version: Gravity feed, self regulating system. Balls removed from pet bottle. Fresh water stays in bottle until tube end is exposed to air (due to tank water evaporation). Fresh water flows into tank until tube end is covered again.

was expecting

4057282615_ab2b3b6aee.jpg

Pleasantly surprised. Good work.

ATO 'blankie'...'aw, ain't that cute' :)

Wouldnt osmosis come into play since teh RO water will touch the salty?

Pretty sure someone did an experiment and concluded that, no, the two do not mix.

Pretty sure someone (I think it was seabass) did an experiment and concluded that, no, the two do not mix.

Actually...the experiment is in my tank thread :)

Actually...the experiment is in my tank thread :)

sorry I didn't give due credit =)

But, an experiment is much more fun :) :

WaterBottleExperiment.jpg

WaterBottleExperimentTubeCloseup.jpg

The dye is from a saltwater Ph test kit (20 drops) which has been added to the saltwater in the Pyrex container (1.0245 SG). The pet bottle has been filled half way with pure RO water. I've covered the experiment with a towel since I am not sure if the dye is photo sensitive over time.

I'm going to leave this experiment for one week to see if the fresh water bottle shows any signs of turning pink-purple.

would ya look at that... =)

You should try adding a small powerhead to the jar with the dye in it, the water in your tank isn't going to be stationary.

Good observation, but it wouldn't make any difference. The experiment is maybe a year old already. I've been using this simple system for over 1-1/2 years, as have many others, without issue.

WOW that is genius!!!

Inspired by my dreaded fear of float-switches...

I remembered those water drinking systems they use for pets and how they auto-fill and keep the drinking bowl at a constant level. Figured the idea might work for a Nano tank.

Archived