Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shrimps and Crabs

animalmaster6

kidding..

i bought a porites coral 2 years ago..it had lots of feather dusters on it and whe i put it into the tank i discovered a colony of 8 filter feeding hermit crabs that live in the porites...really cool!!!

completely reef safe and they don't hide much either..

Coconut Crabs (?) omgomgomg omgomgomg

yep..coconut crabs..love those guys...kep a pair that i brought back from an island for 4 years....had to give them away cause i moved...awesome crabs.

not for a reef though..lol

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking about getting porites because I love the Christmas Worms that are on them.

They get huge though, don't they?

do you mean the coral? crabs or worms?

the coral has definately gotten bigger but they don't grow as crazy as a birdsnest...

Where is it from?

i got the rock from www.tampabaysaltwater.com / if you order rock from them be prepared for many hitch hikers both good and bad. good can include porcelain crabs, emerald crabs(i think i got a red one), sponges, some corals, snails, hermits, pistols(wont pair with gobies), etc. bad guys can include gorilla crabs, xanthid crabs, mantis shrimp(i dont count these as bad lol and i think i got one), etc.

animalmaster6
i got the rock from www.tampabaysaltwater.com / if you order rock from them be prepared for many hitch hikers both good and bad. good can include porcelain crabs, emerald crabs(i think i got a red one), sponges, some corals, snails, hermits, pistols(wont pair with gobies), etc. bad guys can include gorilla crabs, xanthid crabs, mantis shrimp(i dont count these as bad lol and i think i got one), etc.

I don't want the bad hitchhikers at all! :(

I ordered vanuata Live Rock from vividaquariums.com and it came with TONS of Stomatellas, pods, and sponges. Unfortunetly I'm loaded with aiptasia :(

I got mine from vivid as well...Went to their store..It's awesome in there....

They are awesome! I wish I could visit them but I'm across the country lol.

I don't want the bad hitchhikers at all! :(

I ordered vanuata Live Rock from vividaquariums.com and it came with TONS of Stomatellas, pods, and sponges. Unfortunetly I'm loaded with aiptasia :(

yea but the only way you guarantee no bad hitch hikers is to get no hitch hikers ei. dry rock. i was more than happy to take the good with the bad and in your case you couldve caught any bad hitch hikers n toss them in your sump and maybe keep one mantis in there just to finally realise how cool they are lol you could then trade the rest of the mantis that you may get for store credit for a fish or something cool or sold em to people like me who really like them lol and to be honest the people who like mantis are usually willing to pay $20+ for one.

animalmaster6
yea but the only way you guarantee no bad hitch hikers is to get no hitch hikers ei. dry rock. i was more than happy to take the good with the bad and in your case you couldve caught any bad hitch hikers n toss them in your sump and maybe keep one mantis in there just to finally realise how cool they are lol you could then trade the rest of the mantis that you may get for store credit for a fish or something cool or sold em to people like me who really like them lol and to be honest the people who like mantis are usually willing to pay $20+ for one.

I know what you mean, my lr came with the mantis but i still want it because of the good hitchhikers.

Have the filter feeding crabs reproduced in your tank at all? Just curious.

kidding..

i bought a porites coral 2 years ago..it had lots of feather dusters on it and whe i put it into the tank i discovered a colony of 8 filter feeding hermit crabs that live in the porites...really cool!!!

completely reef safe and they don't hide much either..

yep..coconut crabs..love those guys...kep a pair that i brought back from an island for 4 years....had to give them away cause i moved...awesome crabs.

not for a reef though..lol

Archived