Top Shelf Aquatics

Shrimps and Crabs

animalmaster6

animalmaster6
Yeah, Bumble Bees eat all sorts of things. I feed mine mysis. (I'd also note that mine went for about a month rarely (once or twice) being fed, but he survived on, I'm assuming, the micro brittle star population in my 3gal... They're hardy little critters.)

I also have a pom pom crab, he's reef safe, but he mainly comes out at night... Just something to consider.

Also, would the pom pom and porcelain fight? Maybe not in a 125, but what about in a 10 or a 3?

A group of clapping shrimp (liveaquaria has them listed as Venus Shrimp) would be pretty cool. They're hard to see, but they're full of personality.

P.S. The Bumble Bee is on a regular feeding schedule now, two to three times a day.

Here you go:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2858

Bubmblee Bees are cool but I was thinking about getting a Sand Sifting Star. I don't know yet though.

If a Pom Pom and Porcelain fights I would defiently choose a Porcelain!!!

I saw the Venus Shrimp. They look pretty cool.

boxer crabs/pom pom crabs are way cool and imo reef safe but in a big tank you will never see em

i miss mine i accidentally crushed him/her when i added more rock.......stupid self :angry:

porcelain would prob kill the pom pom :o

That stinks about the Pom Pom :(

I doubt that. Porcelains are extremely non-aggressive!

________________________________________________________________________________

DEFINETLY NO Mantis Shrimps!!!!! I absolutely hate them! They kill everything!!!!!!!!! They don't kill many fish but they do kill small gobies! :angry:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard that bumble bees can be aggressive. Also, venustus anemone shrimp NEED an anemone. I had one with a tiny tiny BTA and it ate some tentacles causing the nem to move around to try t get away. After it ate the nem, it soon disappeared.

Bubmblee Bees are cool but I was thinking about getting a Sand Sifting Star. I don't know yet though.

Sand sifters spend most of their time under the sand don't they? Plus, judging from the size difference, it shouldn't be a problem... I wouldn't think...

I have heard that bumble bees can be aggressive. Also, venustus anemone shrimp NEED an anemone. I had one with a tiny tiny BTA and it ate some tentacles causing the nem to move around to try t get away. After it ate the nem, it soon disappeared.

Mine's done just fine hosting in some blue palys that I have...

animalmaster6
Sand sifters spend most of their time under the sand don't they? Plus, judging from the size difference, it shouldn't be a problem... I wouldn't think...

I would either get the star or the Bumble Bee. The shrimps eat the tips of starfish's feet; not the actual starfish.

yeah the size of the star means nothing. have you seen the size of harlequin shrimp? a pair of those can take down and flip over a chocolate chip star like its nothing

animalmaster6

Not sure if I will get the Bumble Bees anymore. Better shrimp out there Imo.

Bongo Shrimp- Do you know much about Emperor Shrimp? I can't find any info about them whatsoever.

hmm... i like these ideas of invert tanks... good bye my cardinal, and hello shrimp :P

for me i wuz thinkin

3 bumblebees,

3 sexies

1 pistol/goby pair

1 fire shrimp

1. cleaner shrimp

2 harlequin

3 porcelains

maybe 1 pom pom crab

maybe 1 sand crab

:D

Emperor's NEED a cucumber or nudi, they live commensaly, I believe by eating part of their partner. (not 100% on that)

Bluezoo is sold out and they do not cover the $50 shrimp under any guarantee.

animalmaster6
Emperor's NEED a cucumber or nudi, they live commensaly, I believe by eating part of their partner. (not 100% on that)

Bluezoo is sold out and they do not cover the $50 shrimp under any guarantee.

:tears:

Thanks for the info Bongo. I think they don't eat their partner. What they do is when the nudi/cucumber stops for a rest they scoot off and grap small parts of detritus and small particles of meat.

If they host Lettuce Nudibranches then I will think about it. I had Lettuce Nudibranches in the 12G and I ahted them because they knocked everything over, made a mess, and put slime EVERYWHERE lol. There is a different species of Lettuce Nudi called the Pacific Lettuce Nudibranch. It is smaller and I want to call Blue Zoo and see if Emperor Shrimp hosts them.

If a Pom Pom and Porcelain fights I would defiently choose a Porcelain!!!

I saw the Venus Shrimp. They look pretty cool.

That stinks about the Pom Pom :(

I doubt that. Porcelains are extremely non-aggressive!

________________________________________________________________________________

DEFINETLY NO Mantis Shrimps!!!!! I absolutely hate them! They kill everything!!!!!!!!! They don't kill many fish but they do kill small gobies! :angry:

yes Porcelains are extremely non-aggressive unless you mess with em not one you wanna get pinched by ouch :o

animalmaster6
yes Porcelains are extremely non-aggressive unless you mess with em not one you wanna get pinched by ouch :o

I heard they have small claws because they only use their fan things to catch plankton?

Stay away from mantis shrimp unless you want it as only inhabitant in your tank, as they're EXTREMELY predatory.

mantis wont go for fish unless they are starving

also ive seen them with starfish, and they left the starfish unharmed. so when i get a harlequin pair im gonna keep starfish in the mantis tank

I heard they have small claws because they only use their fan things to catch plankton?

thats true, but my old one also used its claws to grab frozen foods it finds

animalmaster6
yea porcelain crabs are really cool looking and i got a half dozen or more free on a piece of live rock that i got from tampa bay saltwater.

Lucky!

Lucky!

:D yep it this is the same rock that has a ton of little feather dusters so im betting this rock was near a spot with alot of good stuff to filter out of the water lol

animalmaster6
:D yep it this is the same rock that has a ton of little feather dusters so im betting this rock was near a spot with alot of good stuff to filter out of the water lol

Where is it from?

Archived