Cultivated Reef

xourheartsdesire's RSM Reef Tank

xourheartsdesire

xourheartsdesire

CIMG3976.jpg

Just got the tank on monday, managed to get live sand and some base rock in it but thats about it. Still looking around for more rock but its so expensive. I used to have a 75g and i bought maybe $500 worth on fosters and i hate to fork out money like that again. Im more picky this time around and i've been looking at everyones reef and trying to get a visual on the rock scapes but i just need rock hah. I just ordered a media rack from stevieT and when that comes ill ditch out the garbage skimmer and hopefully have more rock in the tank so i can buy a tunze to skim it.

Im looking to do mostly LPS i love frogspawn and hammers and stuff like that with some zoos with a lot of color so im pretty much doing a reef only tank. I want this cycle to hurry up so i can start buying coral.

As u can see i have the hydor nano but should i get maybe another hydor 2?

I've got 40 lbs of live sand in there do you think i should buy another 20 lbs or what?

Any input would be awesome i cant wait to start rolling and ill post more pictures whenever anything changes. Thanks a lot.

---Ryan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the club looks like a great start but remember to take your time don't do things to fast.

Also I have a k1 I'm will sell if your interested

xourheartsdesire

Its a RSM 34G.

I used biozyme but thats it. Its cheaper with this rock and i got it for free at that but i need to buy some more. Ill be updating soon when i go to the store tomorrow. I wanna make it a slope as most reefs are but im picky so ill probably be messing with it for awhile. How can i speed up the rock?

xourheartsdesire

i know...i thought i bought a bunch but when it went in the tank i was like huh? more? geeezz. hah i want to stack it up to below the skimmer im gonna need another bucket full.

xourheartsdesire

001-5.jpg

003-7.jpg

004-8.jpg

Just bought some more rock, i got about 40lbs in there now maybe a little more but lemme know what you guys think any input would be great.

Looking pretty good, I would want it a little higher... Especially if you wanted to do some SPS in the rsm with stock lighting. Can you fit a mag-float to the right?

i think you have enough rock just need to scape it differnt IMO make sure there is space between the rocks and space behind the rock for good flow. and for fishes and inverts to hide

a question tho where is your skimmer grate so u can skim the surface.

also i think it would look better if you put the thermometer in one of the rear chambers again IMO.

look forward to see how this tank turns out

xourheartsdesire

Actually bought the tank from someone in NY and i dont know where the grate is so i dont have one. I need to get one and i dont know where. Should i pull the rock from the back? i have space in between the rocks, theres like a mini cave in the middle of all of them underneath sort of. I wanna do mostly lps so i dont need the height for sps but i did want to go higher anyway if i could find a flat rock to go on that right side.

Im looking into getting the vortech mp10 so i think that will give me enough flow in the tank.

And as for the thermometer, thats temporary until i get my pinpoint. i have a coralife and that thing is crap so i bought that just so i can mess with my heater...haha

xourheartsdesire

I actually just got my media rack from stevie t today as well and is installed. I was the one who asked you about the water tight fit in the back. Im getting my tunze on wednesday and then hopefully whenever my upgraded cup gets shipped out ill be set.

xourheartsdesire
How often do you change his water?

What do you mean? his water bowl? ill clean it maybe once a week or something i just top it off every day or so.

I think you are fine on the sand. Maybe upping the flow would be a good idea, but you don't want too much flow if you want to do mainly LPS. They like good flow, but not so much that they are like a flag waving in a strong wind. Good idea on the media basket also.

What type of fish are you looking to get? Going slow is your best option right now. Give it a couple of weeks at least imo.

Your off to a great start. Just keep in mind when your scaping the LR that you want a lot of ledges to place corals on. A lot of people pile the rock up against the back wall and don't worry about having to clean back there. You can do some really cool looking stuff. Check the RSM owner's thread and AIO forums for some ideas.

I think you are fine on the sand. Maybe upping the flow would be a good idea, but you don't want too much flow if you want to do mainly LPS. They like good flow, but not so much that they are like a flag waving in a strong wind. Good idea on the media basket also.

What type of fish are you looking to get? Going slow is your best option right now. Give it a couple of weeks at least imo.

Your off to a great start. Just keep in mind when your scaping the LR that you want a lot of ledges to place corals on. A lot of people pile the rock up against the back wall and don't worry about having to clean back there. You can do some really cool looking stuff. Check the RSM owner's thread and AIO forums for some ideas.

xourheartsdesire

heres my setup so far:

50lbs Live sand

40lbs Live rock

StevieT Media Rack-Floss/ Purigen (coming this week)/ Chemipure (coming this week)

StevieT Tunze Cup Upgrade (coming next week)

Tunze 9002 (coming sthis week)

Hydor Nano Powerhead

I wanna spring for the vortech mp10...would that be too much flow for what i want?

My tank will consist of mostly LPS...I like frogspawn, torchs, hammers...mostly Euphylia pretty much. I fell in love with Ricordea's i want a garden of those...and i like zoas, mostly bright colored.

As for fish I want a goby (diamond watchmen), a mated pair of clownfish (black & white or true percula or ocellaris), and a Mandarin Dragonette.

As for my cycle my ammonia went up to 1.0, nitrites are at .25 maybe higher, no nitrates yet

I have some extra LR I'd give ya, but judging by the lack of 4 foot snow piles outside of your window in that picture I'm guessing you are nowhere close lol.

Dragonette would be cool but probably going to run you more $$$ than a little LR while training it?

xourheartsdesire

yea i live in CT, actually weve been getting snow every week almost it seems. i've been going back and forth to the fish store picking up more live rock as i build but its like 30 min away so i dont like to go there every day because i need a little more rock...haha maybe next week. thanks for offering btw...i dont know where you live but i doubt ur close.

yea i always wanted a dragonette so maybe when my tank is set up and really doing good ill get one.

Archived