Pod Your Reef

harpua02's 29 gallon birthday tank

harpua02

Just wanted to share my fixer upper with you guys. :)

I got this 4 year old setup as a birthday present from my husband last month. It had obviously been pretty neglected and I've been trying to get it back into shape and get rid of the corals I didn't want- this tank was overgrown with xenia, not the look I was going for. I've managed to give away or sell the corals I didn't want, and I've been adding frags bought mostly from reef club members. Lighting is 2x 65W PC actinic and 175W MH. There's also a 20 gallon sump with DSB/fuge and ASM mini G skimmer. I'm not crazy about the skimmer but oh well, it was included. :P First pic is how it looked after I got it home, other pics are from the past few days.

post-46063-1266328543_thumb.jpg

post-46063-1266328582_thumb.jpg

post-46063-1266328633_thumb.jpg

post-46063-1266328643_thumb.jpg

That clam was WAY too big for a 29 IMO. With all the rock work in the tank (I ended up taking a couple pieces out) it couldn't even open up all the way, and I even had to scrape xenia off the poor thing's shell. A friend of mine now has the clam in a 93 cube reef and it is looking a lot happier now.

you're really whipping this tank into shape! Did it come with those fish or did you get them yourself? Also do you have a hood or open top? I have a 29 myself that has been running for about 10 months now and I love it. it is a great size for a nano reef.

Well thank you! I've been trying for sure. It was a helluva birthday gift from hubby and I couldn't wait to get started revamping it!

The only original inhabitant is the yellow watchman goby. I added the McCosker's and the rainford about a month after I got the tank.

There's a handmade canopy that came with the tank. It has a 175W MH, 2x 65W pc actinics (I only use one), and dimmable moonlights. It's ugly as sin, but functional. I think I'm going to have a new canopy built eventually and just move the existing stuff into it.

• 9 months later...

Looks cool. Now that I know more about this stuff it would be cool to receive an old tank and fix it up. But I can remember a time not too long ago when I would have blown my brains out...and almost did. Nice work! What's the sun looking coral called? Probly 'sun polyps' lol

Archived