Top Shelf Aquatics

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

Also I might not be done stocking it after all...there was just this one leather coral that I had to have in this tank :slap:

Aug 31st -- Jan 31st is going to be a long time :unsure:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aug 31st -- Jan 31st is going to be a long time :unsure:

I know :ninja:

one zoa has a galaxy in the middle.

and finally have diatoms lol

I love that galaxy/supernova zoa! there are a few of those on that colony.

And yes, the diatoms: they are everywhere!

Corals look awesome! Those are some pretty good macro shots!

Thanks! It probably the best I can do with this little camera ;)

Tank is looking good.

What salt are you using? I didn't go through each post to see if you had said.

How often do you do water changes.

I had been thinking of doing a pico at work but was worried about weekends how it would do with no tending.

thanks!

I use Instant Ocean's Reef Crystals as my salt. (I manually mix it to 1.025 salinity)

I do weekly water changes of about 40%

Your pico would be fine on weekends as long as you have an auto-top off system on it. A glass lid would help with the evap too.

Nice! What's that new SPS at the top? It looks great. Is your lighting good for them?

So...are you gonna eventually add shrimp/fish? What and when? :haha: <--my fave emoticon

lol I know it looks like SPS from the shots but thats just scrunched up finger leather coral :P

Speaking of SPS, I dicovered that there is some form of Porites coral on the rock with my green striped shroom (in the center under the overhang) so in order to possibly save it I swapped that shroom rock with the GSP on the left side...

I'm going to try and transplant the green striped shroom onto something else becuse I do not want it to be in the way of the Porites. This is the Porites in question:

goldifhs134.jpg

And in terms of livestock I might be adding some sort of shrimp in the near future..

yeah sexy shrimp...I'll have to wait on those lol. I want my zoas to grow and establish much more before I put them through the stress of sexy shrimp :P

Sexy shrimp however should be in the distant future for this tank.

I also need small pieces of dry rock rubble...anyone know where I could get something like that? maybe a chisel and a medium piece of dry rock rubble? or will dry base rock not break easily?

O, its just a simple swap of the stock 50/50 bulbs for Current USA daylight and actinic bulbs and an added moonlight :)

nothing special

working on the left side...

Discovered that the rock with the green striped shroom had an encrusting SPS coral hitchhiker on it so I swapped that rock with the GSP on the left side. The SPS is thought to be Porites.

Here:

goldifhs137.jpg

goldifhs138.jpg

working on the left side...

Discovered that the rock with the green striped shroom had an encrusting SPS coral hitchhiker on it so I swapped that rock with the GSP on the left side. The SPS is thought to be Porites.

Here:

goldifhs137.jpg

Very nice B)

O, its just a simple swap of the stock 50/50 bulbs for Current USA daylight and actinic bulbs and an added moonlight :)

nothing special

do you have a link to that mod? i think i found the ones to make it use current usa's but what about the moonlight. is that controlled separately?

You know, at first I though that if I could grow this Porites and make it fully encrust the rock it was on, I would just sell it to someone as a frag becuase I initially did not think it looked attractive. However recently it has gained my respect, this stuff looks really cool when it's polyps are extended :

goldifhs139.jpg

Did a bit of work on this tank today.

I bought a piece of dry base rock and broke it up into tiny pieces. These small pieces were then placed over the sand to appear as a rocky bottom. the theory is that my zoas and shrooms should grow over these rocks and make a sort of carpet, but we will see what happens!

Another thing I did was scrape my Green striped shroom off the Porites rock and I superglued it onto a small piece of the dry rock and moved it to the bottom of the tank, under the cave in the center.

Also found the vary rare and unusual Hermit Zoa:

goldifhs141.jpg

goldifhs140.jpg

I hear they are endangered :slap:

Yeah I like the white version of that moonlight, it looks more natural than the purple one that everyone uses...

The tank is getting ready to sleep in this pic but here is what it is as of right now:

goldifhs146.jpg

Archived