Coral Vue Hydros

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

Mr. Microscope

Just keep doing manual removal and water changes. It will starve out eventually. I had a bit of bryopsis when I started. It took about a month, but it went away.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is impossible to manually remove because it is growing deep into the Porites rock.

As a result of the raised magnesium, some of my green zoas (the colony on the bottom left) have begun to bleach :(. They went from a nice bright green to a paler salad green. I am a bit afraid for the welfare of my tank right now...

The bryopsis shows little change.

^Probably one of the greatest things about having a pico, is doing water changes with a cup.

Takes me about 10min tops if I already have it mixed.

Yea I love doing wc's with a cup. I use a 5 oz. cup and will change about 4 cups (maybe 18 oz.) at a time. While doing this I will also rinse out the sponge filter. I have my RKL set for 10 minuets standby so I have just that, 10 mins to get it all accomplished. Can usually get it done in about 6 - 8 mins max.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update...

Kent Tech Magnesium supplement treatment failed even after 2 weeks, the bryopsis is still there.

My zoas suffered greatly from the elevated levels of magnesium (1600-1700ppm)

Not much else to say. The green finger leather has grown a bit but it's closed up in the updated FTS and has refused to open for a few days now...seems to be doing this towards the end of each month, idk why.

The only other coral that has shown growth is the Blasto:

goldifhs167.jpg

I finally did a water change on this tank today because I can no longer stand by while the bryopsis ignores elevated magnesium levels and my corals suffer. I will resume doing weekly water changes now and will hope for the best =/

• 2 weeks later...

Two things were lost:

Nassaius snail likely because of elevated magnesium (or maybe its too big for my system and was not getting enough food)

Porites colony got overpowered by all the bryopsis algae so I had little choice but to remove it. the SPS was likely leeching toxins from stress because after a day w/o the porites in the tank every other coral just opened up fully and everything looked so much better.

I have updated the FTS in the first post. here a random shot of the giant Rhodactis in the back:

goldifhs170.jpg

If anyone remembers it was my first coral along with the ricordea...

I am not planning on getting anything into this tank any time soon. it needs time to recover from the magnesium treatment. I started to feed the tank again since I was not doing so during the 2 week treatment for fear of feeding the bryopsis...

I have turned my AC70 to full power, we will see what happens to all the cyano and diatoms at the front of the tank.

I may need to get an emerald crab soon because there is green bubble algae forming on some rocks that I can't just remove and tweeze off with my hand...

I have turned my AC70 to full power, we will see what happens to all the cyano and diatoms at the front of the tank.

I may need to get an emerald crab soon because there is green bubble algae forming on some rocks that I can't just remove and tweeze off with my hand...

Really full power? Does any water stay in the tank? :P

yes lol all water stays in the tank. the zoas up front are surprisingly tolerant, as I thought they'd be ripped off their colony rock...

my AC is probably bogged down with that chemi pure bag so much that it helps slow the flow a bit.

It was a good idea to put those smaller chunks of base rock at the front, cuz it keeps my sand underneath from flying away from the front of the tank.

Here's the updated FTS

goldifhs176.jpg

and I found my Asterina star again.

goldifhs177.jpg

this time I see it has regrown its limbs. have another one with 3 limbs somewhere. the star in the picture must have split a while ago. And here is the green leather coral and the star:

goldifhs178.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Nice looking leather. Is it attached directly to the rock? Did it come with the rock? Good centerpiece. You're tank is coming along well!

no it did not come on the rock lol, it attached over a few weeks as it grew. I like it as well, but wish it to spread a lot more :P

I moved my Acan coral to the right rock because it was being blasted too much by the new maximum flow of the filter. It now blocks that red Blasto in the background but at least it should be happier.

I'm wondering if I need more rawx on the back left side...may to mimic a slope coming from the Float-guard down toward the finger leather coral...

Or maybe I could make an overhang going towards the front from that back corner...

I got these two rawx to work with:

goldifhs179.jpg

I'm wondering if I need more rawx on the back left side...may to mimic a slope coming from the Float-guard down toward the finger leather coral...

Or maybe I could make an overhang going towards the front from that back corner...

I got these two rawx to work with:

goldifhs179.jpg

I think your first idea will look good!

I use base rock, but I'm sure it may launch a mini cycle...hopefully nothing to worry about.

Ok so I put one peice of rock on the left side...the other wouldnt fit lol!

I failed at making the slope, but I kinda got the overhang idea....

'll post a pic tomorrow when it all clears(lots of rock dust in water)

Yes, I personally like this rockwork better, but the stupid cyano and bryopsis are being annoying >_>

The Bryopsis even has its own transit system:

goldifhs180.jpg

goldifhs181.jpg

my GSP you see there JUST WONT SPREAD. I think I have the rarest species of GSP ever, the kind that will not spread onto your rocks and take over your tank! :P

Mr. Microscope
my GSP you see there JUST WONT SPREAD. I think I have the rarest species of GSP ever, the kind that will not spread onto your rocks and take over your tank! :P

Haha! I have the same stuff. Maybe we should get together and market it. Oh, wait. It needs to grow in order to do that. :P

FTS has been updated. bryopsis and cyano still healthy and going strong.

New snail in town, a Nerite:

goldifhs185.jpg

And the Peppermint shrimp who may be angry because he does not get fed everyday anymore :(

goldifhs184.jpg

Mr. Microscope

That's a nerite??!! I've never seen one that looks like that. Mine are all checkered. That thing is beautiful!!! Prettiest darn snail in around. :)

Good luck with the algea!

Mr. Microscope

Just make sure to keep an eye on it. I lost one of mine when it crawled out of the tank and I didn't realize fast enough.

Archived