Pod Your Reef

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

i noticed that there are bits of pocillopora sprouting all around my tank. one in my fuge, one on the powerhead cable, others on some rock.

It looks like it reproduced asexually(unless it can self-fertilize) and some of the larvae settled around my tank. This looks similar to what happened with pj86's sun coral. His produced a lot more polyps though.

So far i have spotted roughly 3-4 spots where that coral has begun to grow. Growth started like this - with some stoney circular growth and a polyp in the center

P.damicornis-prim.pol_D.Bar.gif

Then polyps started to grow radially out , with one polyp in the center and a ring of polyps on the outer edge of the skeleton.

I find that these new coral growths grow very slowly. They also settled in dim areas of the tank, so that's likely not helping either. but they should be ok - there is some light for them.

I saw someone's 200G+ tank the other day. His pocill also reproduces and starts to grow randomly on the tank sides.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to ask if you still needed a frag of blasto but I see you already got one. I inherited a frag that looked like a goner but It is sprouting new heads like mad now. hopefully yours starts growing heads soon.

thanks guys!

I too hope it starts to grow new polyps soon.

I made a few frags recently. two tiny green finger leather frags (the tissue that grew back from when i originally fragged it off my rockwork) and I made a decent green bay packer frag of 20+polyps.

plus i have two frags of palys. I'll be posting them up for sale soon. I want them out of my tank before I move out. I am moving in May btw.

Just read the last few pages newman.

Awesome tank, love those Acans. I just ordered some more LPS, this will be a first for me, a maze frag and an Acan. Hope they do as well as what you have! Great looking corals. I was just reading about how some coral will spawn once they reach the right age and the conditions are right, that is really cool you got them growing wild in your tank.

FTS has been updated to

DSCN0597.jpg

millepora coral is growing well.

shrimp, porcelain, emerald, the clam, and the astrea snail are all doing well too.

The small white speck on the right side glass is not a colonista snail, its actually a newly settled pocillopora. it still has one polyp, and its quite interesting to look at its symmetrical skeleton as it forms on the glass. looks like a plate coral from the underside. too bad my camera cant take a picture of something that small on the glass :(

you still have another year or so, so you have time lol. All you need now is a clam and plenty of zoa growth hormone. lol jk.

Thanks for following the thread :)

Beautiful FTS, love the dark border.

Remind me what kind of light you use? Doesn't look overly bright in that pic but then obviously does the trick!

the K-nano is now completely camouflaged with GSP - can you guys even tell that its a powerhead anymore lol? looks like a random floating rock with coral on it now haha.

pico-reefer
the K-nano is now completely camouflaged with GSP - can you guys even tell that its a powerhead anymore lol? looks like a random floating rock with coral on it now haha.

theres a powerhead under there? :huh: I thought they were growing on the glass Lol. im suprised they can grow on there while being blasted by the pump. Great FTS BTW, by far the best picotope on this site IMO.

hahaha lol i see the shape now

what filter are you using?

Newman, I'm just not meant to have green Birdsnest. :( The new frag is not doing well. Pocillopora is fine, growing, my other SPS are fine, growing. I have a little pink birdsnest which seems to be fine. Wha could be the deal with the green bird?

sniff.

Newman this tank is absolutely amazing. I wish that I could get half the zoa growth that you have gotten. I love the gsp covered power head. Lookin good man, truly one of the best picos ever.

thanks picodope, zoas may seem like they are weeds, but in reality they did take a while to spread in my tank.

I remember when i started out, i was disappointed that i didnt see any zoas spreading over rock after a few weeks or a month. i thought they were supposed to grow very fast. but over time i realized that with patience, they do eventually do something lol.

Archived