Cultivated Reef

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a few frags yesterday, and I'm getting more soon in the mail. Will update with many pics once I get everything in the tank and settled.

My poor ric is still hurtin (for those who have not seen my threads asking for help, my ric has basically shrunk down to nothingness) but its still alive even after an iodine dip. I'm really hoping it will recover...it looks a tad better now plus its not dead so thats a start lol.

Mr. Microscope

How long has it been shrunken? Since the addition of LEDs? If that is the case, try putting it in a shaded area under a rock outcropping. Mushrooms and rics in general don't like the intensity of LEDs. My blue mushroom finally opened up after I found a spot for it with indirect light.

thank you rockhead01 :)

@Micro: yes that would be the most logical deduction, but it actually shrunk exactly 1 day before I changed the lighting so that leads me to believe that it is not lighting thats causing it to do this. It has been shrunk now for almost 2 weeks.

Someone in my help threads stated that it was beyond repair and that it is likely starving by some mysterious means (cuz it was in good PC lighting before and I fed it mysis frequently)

Right now its in a good lighting spot (not bright) and it looks a little better that when it was in the darker spots...though its really hard to tell with it being scrunched up like that.

Mr. Microscope

D'oh,

That's sad. Sounds like it might be making a recovery though. Hoping for the best. Good luck Newman.

Mr. Microscope
I think the finger leather likes the new light:

goldifhs200.jpg

Looks a little dark. Is this more what you were going for? I just messed with gamma a little and added a sharpen filter.

goldifhs200.jpg

2/3 of my frags arent here yet :P so no pics until everything is here alive and open.

And thanks Micro. i guess my camera likes to dim things, plus I think it a bit more contrasty when its dark :P

But thanks for the edited one, I'm going to see if I can use that as the FTS...

lol yes I did. I personally set my camera to a lower light setting, which i did not advise you to do.

video? maybe not today, many frags are arriving, I'm going to video when everything is set and open :)

Mr. Microscope
lol yes I did. I personally set my camera to a lower light setting, which i did not advise you to do.

The lower light setting is probably better for altering in photoshop. Then, all the data is there to get color out of. With too much light, you just get a lot of red lining.

Ohhhhhh. Gotcha ;)

(I have no idea what that means :lol:)

the EXPosure setting. I have it down to -2

normal exposure is 0.0 which is a lighter picture. somewhat like what Micro did with the photoshop edit.

all frags are now here, with the last batch arriving just a few minutes ago.

I'll wait a while for them to get open and then I'll take some pics. maybe a vid today but dont count on it lol. prolly tomorrow.

Ok, its time to throw up some pics of the tank and the new frags:

Both darker and lighter shots of the tank:

goldifhs206.jpg

goldifhs207.jpg

Actinic:

goldifhs208.jpg

Here are some of the new zoa frags:

goldifhs209.jpg

goldifhs213.jpg

goldifhs212.jpg

goldifhs211.jpg

They look great under actinics as expected :D

A new Hollywood Stunner Chalice (also you can see the two new varieties of palythoa that I got):

goldifhs210.jpg

In the FTS shots you can also see a small montipora frag on the left of the finger leather...its hiding in the back lol.

END OF UPDATE

goldifhs214.jpg

@racechase: yes thats my Blasto. I've kept it hidden mostly behind the acan coral, but recently I moved it to that location since it has been looking better :P

@badfish: Idk what theyre called but those are the zoas on the right in the 4th picture from the top. let me go back to the seller's email and I might come up with their name..The deller calls them "Orange Delight" Zoas lol.

Archived