ReefCleaners.org

ADA reef owners thread.

schgr.cube

google ada shop and there will be two links.. From what I know, one is in California and another is in Texas.

• 2 months later...
You're buying a look-a-like aquarium that appears to be made from float glass and costs half as much as the original, why would you expect the quality to be the same? Just reading the comments in the Marine Depot page should be more than enough confirmation

Have you ever heard someone make comments like that about their ADA?

You won't likely find people who can compare the 2 directly because the type of people who would look for an imitation product aren't going to be buying the real thing, and the people looking for the real thing wouldn't end up buying an imitation product.

I find this Amusing as both tanks are made from float glass lol. Starfire, optiwhite, low iron etc are All float glass, come to think about it all glass is float glass lol, drawn glass went out with horse and carriage. Honestly from all Ada tanks I have seen, they are well made, yes, could they be made better? Yes.

Are they overpriced? Yes. What gives me the right to comment? I have been a glazier for 15 years and have made stacks of tanks in my time.

Yes they are probably the best when it comes off the shelf tanks but there are better that get made cheaper. The single biggest thing that bring them down are the machined edges instead of being hand polished.

I find this Amusing as both tanks are made from float glass lol. Starfire, optiwhite, low iron etc are All float glass, come to think about it all glass is float glass lol, drawn glass went out with horse and carriage. Honestly from all Ada tanks I have seen, they are well made, yes, could they be made better? Yes.

Are they overpriced? Yes. What gives me the right to comment? I have been a glazier for 15 years and have made stacks of tanks in my time.

Yes they are probably the best when it comes off the shelf tanks but there are better that get made cheaper. The single biggest thing that bring them down are the machined edges instead of being hand polished.

amen brother

• 5 months later...
kriskristofferzen

heres mine, its not a reef tank, but ADA non the less

DSCN0756_1.JPG

Lol...I am guessing you have no small children or any pets...or threats of earthquakes, etc etc. that is pretty sweet. Knowing my luck, my daughter would bump it and it would be no more fish tanks for this guy.

I have a pic of An ADA one from the NJ store that opened, i'll throw it up later. You did a nice job with it!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Seems like a slow forum, but I'll post my questions otherwise.

I'm planning my next system and the 45C ADA cube is at the top of the list.

1) How easy are these to scratch? They put the iron in glass to resist scratches, which decreases visibility, which is why they have low iron in ADA glass. Seems logical that they scratch easier. What special techniques do you use to clean algae from the glass where it doesn't scratch?

2) I found the Mame Design Overflow which looks awesome for my plans. Anyone use it? Cleaning routine? Any failures? The 45c is a 25 gallon tank, with sand and rock say 20 gallons. The return shown in vids seems a little underpowered. What's your experience with it in that regard, do you use two?

3) What other glass plumbing are available besides the feminine herinal looking lily glass thing?

4) Where can I get an Elos looking stand to fit the 18"x18" of the 45c? I can build one myself, I just don't want to. Seems a common enough size, one would assume that a stand would be readily available for the dimensions. Maybe it's a business opportunity if there are no suppliers...

Thanks for he replies in advance.

About on par with normal glass tanks in my experience. I use a credit card to scrape algae and haven't gotten a new scratch in a long time. Using an algae magnet is a guarantee to get scratches in anything.

I think green leaf aquariums and ebay has some glass return hardware, but not sure if it's any different than the ADA styled stuff.

If you can pull it off, I would definitely go with a calfo external overflow setup. Your tank space is at a premium, so anything to keep it clean really helps.

Flat top cube stands are virtually impossible to find. Mr Aqua had some, but I think they had serious quality issues. ADA has some as well but they're insanely expensive. May be some commercial ones, but most I've seen use ikea, homemade, or some other non-aquarium furniture for their cube stands. I've had several cubes and have given up very much in part by the lack of stands.

Calfo, as in drilled?

I'm not going to drill the tank if I end up with the ADA.

The Mame would look better. I'm just worried about the low flow for a 25 gallon. Well and normal overflow siphon flood worries.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...