Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA reef owners thread.

schgr.cube

digi i got that same tank why don't you cut a 1/4" piece of acrylic to shape with a good sized opening in the middle for feeding.if you make clean cuts ( no stopping or you'll start to melt the acrylic) then take some 60grit sand paper and smooth it out then work your way up to 400grit and torch it with a propane torch to polish the edges its clear like glass only thing i'd recomend is practice on a scrap piece of acrylic to torch so you don't bubble up the edges of your final piece. also don't heat it for too long or it will start to bend on you. i found if you have access to a heat gun its a bit easier than the torch but i like fire so i used that.

digi i got that same tank why don't you cut a 1/4" piece of acrylic to shape with a good sized opening in the middle for feeding.if you make clean cuts ( no stopping or you'll start to melt the acrylic) then take some 60grit sand paper and smooth it out then work your way up to 400grit and torch it with a propane torch to polish the edges its clear like glass only thing i'd recomend is practice on a scrap piece of acrylic to torch so you don't bubble up the edges of your final piece. also don't heat it for too long or it will start to bend on you. i found if you have access to a heat gun its a bit easier than the torch but i like fire so i used that.

Thanks for the tips. I cut myself some acrylic and instantly bought myself a firefish. I've always loved these fish.

I left about 0.5 cm gaps all around the entire tank for some air flow.

The firefish, being about 1cm in diameter managed somehow to make it out this hole and about 15 feet away from the tank. Good thing I didn't buy the helfrichi that I was eyeing.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, since I broke down my ADA I haven't really had the ambition to keep up with this. If someone wants to get me a list of any tank threads I don't currently have listed, that would help out (with links).

Mods, is there any way to transfer the first post to someone else so they can keep up with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! My life has finally settled down enough now after college to start up a new reef tank - my last one was an AIO 18" acrylic cube that I learned a LOT from. After looking at a lot of the tank options out there, I think I have settled on one of the ADA or Mr. Aqua rimless tanks. Got a couple of questions though.

First, how does the build quality and clarity of the ADA and Mr Aqua tanks differ? The price difference between the two is significant enough (a 24x12x14 Mr Aqua is 90 bucks shipped from marinedepot, the same size 60-p ADA is about double) that its not worth going with the ADA unless the physical difference is worth it. I'm more concerned about seam quality and so forth than I am actual clarity, although that is nice.

Second, I would very much like to run this without skimmer or sump - how feasible is this overall?

Third, how happy are people who went with the 30c? It seems like a great size but I am concerned I would get too frustrated with the tiny size and be happier with something like a 60-p. My initial plan was to get a 30-c and run it with an AC70, Evil Par 38 20k bulb and a heater and call it a day.

• 3 weeks later...

My 30C is under construction. I didn't want to get it too big (its an office tank - while I like my job they aren't so permanent :)).

My ADA 30C

I'm running skimmer and sumpless. The small size of the tank means I can easily do weekly 50%+ water changes, so we'll see how that works out over time.

• 3 months later...

I need the help from your guys, as I am honestly too lazy to keep up on EVERYONES tanks. If you notice an ADA tank featured on this website, reef or non reef, please notify me of it and I will add it to the list. Also, if any of the tanks I have listed have been broken down or retired, notify me of this as well so I can update my list. Thanks!

PS, added a few more tanks.

Put my mh 150 20k over my tank today

Put my mh 150 20k over my tank today

I've had this tank in the closet for three years until this past weekend. ADA's are timeless

Does any one know?

Are ADA tanks made with tempered glass? Can they be drilled or slots cut with dremel type tool?

Yes they can be drilled. Check out Schg, He did amazing job on his tank. Wish he still have it so i can still follow along. Now i got to be the one to take over. lol jk

i am still working on mine.. a lot of goodies coming!

Added the new people, fixed the banner image above the list as well (didn't do an amazing job, just made the background white so it matches nano-reefs posting areas). Also fixed the signature banner if anyones interested.

adaclubsig.png

If someone wants to make better images for these, please feel free. I won't be offended, I don't have photoshop anymore.

Question: What is the smallest and best ATO to use on the ADA tank? website? cost? thanks!

IMO Tunze 3155 with 3155.6 Magnet. $191 If you have a steady water source an additional $81 will buy an electronic solenoid/valve.