ReefCleaners.org

ADA reef owners thread.

schgr.cube

Crackerballer
I'll be honest with you, and I'm not ashamed of it. Sometimes I buy things just for the rarity, the title, or the backing behind it. I own an ADA just to own an ADA. Now I will say that the clarity on this tank is ridiculous, but I honestly can not compare it first hand to a Mr. Aqua.

There is no shame in that! Especially when you are honest about it. Fiction101, this is the type of info I was looking for. I just ordered the Mr. Aqua one, I will take tons of pics when it arrives and review it.

Nemo Niblets

I have a request to all ADA owners; add the total gallonage in your tank thread title. I get so confused with the letters and liters and all that...

I have a request to all ADA owners; add the total gallonage in your tank thread title. I get so confused with the letters and liters and all that...

My tank is a 30c. 30 centimeters is about 12 inches, my tank is about 12 inches.

Crackerballer

I may order the GLA 30c too. It is $54.99 plus about $16 shipping to me. My other GLA tank, the 91-B looks great, the seems are great, and it looks amazing.

I may order the GLA 30c too. It is $54.99 plus about $16 shipping to me. My other GLA tank, the 91-B looks great, the seems are great, and it looks amazing.

Just order an ADA, that way you can be the one to do a direct comparison and let us all know we're insane.

Crackerballer
Just order an ADA, that way you can be the one to do a direct comparison and let us all know we're insane.

Haha, I may order all 3 and do a 3 way comparison! Or if someone wants to send me the ADA, I can return it after pics and review. Or if I could find one cheaper but still new.

Some of us are less concerned about cost as long as quality is superior. Those are the people shopping for ADA tanks.

Once you've been in this hobby for long enough you'll learn that you always get what you pay for.

Crackerballer
Some of us are less concerned about cost as long as quality is superior. Those are the people shopping for ADA tanks.

Once you've been in this hobby for long enough you'll learn that you always get what you pay for.

Well if there is no quality difference, then the only real difference is what you are paying. So do you not buy anything used? I asked if quality was superior, and so far that is up in the air. We have 1 OPINION, but no one who has showed a side by side comparison of the 2 (or 3) tanks.

You're buying a look-a-like aquarium that appears to be made from float glass and costs half as much as the original, why would you expect the quality to be the same? Just reading the comments in the Marine Depot page should be more than enough confirmation

Great

Rimless by DAVID TICE

Experience Level: Expert

Posted on 10/26/2009 from DENVER, CO UNITED STATES

Comments: Overall this is a good product. I was somewhat disappointed by the alignment of the glass edges, not as clean and smooth as I would have preferred with a small amount of overlap.

Yes, I would recommend this product to my friends.

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:

Great

Very Nice by Rob

Experience Level: Intermediate

Posted on 2/15/2010 from RICHMOND, VA UNITED STATES

Comments: The edges are not perfect which seams a given if it's your full time job, but other wise very happy. I drilled the sides of the 36" version with a glass holes kit with no problems. The bottom is tempered.

Yes, I would recommend this product to my friends.

Have you ever heard someone make comments like that about their ADA?

You won't likely find people who can compare the 2 directly because the type of people who would look for an imitation product aren't going to be buying the real thing, and the people looking for the real thing wouldn't end up buying an imitation product.

Edited by VicSkimmr
You're buying a look-a-like aquarium that appears to be made from float glass and costs half as much as the original, why would you expect the quality to be the same? Just reading the comments in the Marine Depot page should be more than enough confirmation

Have you ever heard someone make comments like that about their ADA?

You won't likely find people who can compare the 2 directly because the type of people who would look for an imitation product aren't going to be buying the real thing, and the people looking for the real thing wouldn't end up buying an imitation product.

Well said. As I said before, I cannot attest to the quality or clarity COMPARED to other tanks, but my ADA is EXTREMELY well made and EXTREMELY clear. I have seen others in person, and they have the same precision and attention to details. If these other tanks have imperfections, then I can say that ADA is well superior as that is something missing from their lineup.

Crackerballer

How is a box of glass "an imitation thing?" Are you suggesting ADA was the first to make a 12x12x12 cube? What about the GLA, at $54.99? Still quite a bit cheaper and I have one of their tanks, I would put it against an ADA any day, BUT I have never seen an ADA, so that is why I asked my original question. Have you seen a Mr. Aqua or a GLA?

VicSkimmr, sounds like you got offended. Why didn't you pay even more for a custom LeeMar if you want "THE BEST?" It's ok man, you're gonna make it. It's just the internet.

Edited by Crackerballer
How is a box of glass "an imitation thing?" Are you suggesting ADA was the first to make a 12x12x12 cube? What about the GLA, at $54.99? Still quite a bit cheaper and I have one of their tanks, I would put it against an ADA any day, BUT I have never seen an ADA, so that is why I asked my original question. Have you seen a Mr. Aqua or a GLA?

VicSkimmr, sounds like you got offended. Why didn't you pay even more for a custom LeeMar if you want "THE BEST?" It's ok man, you're gonna make it. It's just the internet.

Alright let's put it this way. There are Oreos, and there are the generic brand sandwhich cookies. Sure, a lot of people will still eat the generics and save some money on them. Are they just as good? Maybe. Was Nabisco the first to make this type of cookie? No clue. But in my opinion, Oreos are better and I will always pay more money for them.

. . . now I want some Oreos.

Crackerballer

I love the oreos too! I just want to know why people are spending more money, like what you and fiction said, not the elitist BS answer. Seams seem to be the main reason.

I love the oreos too! I just want to know why people are spending more money, like what you and fiction said, not the elitist BS answer. Seams seem to be the main reason.

Meh, I'll be honest again. I was debating giving a more jackassy answer because I hate when people question why I spend my money on what I spend it on.

It's the same thing when I bought my Picasso clowns, and people asked why I would spend so much money on a pair of clowns. People have different tastes, and different budgets, so there will always be differences in what people buy for what prices. That's all there really is to it.

But yeah, for the most part, we're paying for a name.

Crackerballer

Oh no, maybe I should have reworded my original question a bit better. I didn't mean to imply that you are foolishly spending your money, I just really wanted a solid answer of what made the tank better. And like I said, seams is a good enough reason.

Vic just said "you get what you pay for" and I want to know exactly what you get, with the answer (which I now know) being clear glass, clean seams, and a popular name. You don't have to sell me on the name brand being important, I have over 30 pairs of Jordan shoes :)

Edited by Crackerballer

Seriously? GLA tanks are made out of float glass, that's why they cost half as much.

When it comes down to it, some people see ADA tanks and feel they're worth the price, and here we are. Others don't. Just don't come into our thread trying to stir #### up because you think they're overpriced.

And I'm not offended, I'm just trying to explain why I bought an ADA over a GLA.

Crackerballer
Seriously? GLA tanks are made out of float glass, that's why they cost half as much.

When it comes down to it, some people see ADA tanks and feel they're worth the price, and here we are. Others don't. Just don't come into our thread trying to stir #### up because you think they're overpriced.

And I'm not offended, I'm just trying to explain why I bought an ADA over a GLA.

Please tell me where I said they were overpriced? I asked why people were paying for a more expensive tank.

"When it comes down to it, some people see ADA tanks and feel they're worth the price, and here we are. Others don't." Yea and I asked WHY and figured this was the place since it is an owner's thread. I have never seen an ADA, so I wanted to know if people were being stupid or actually had reasons for paying more.

No, you did not explain why you bought it. "Quality" is not an answer if you cannot quantify it as others have (seams, name, glass, total package).

For the others (Fiction, SCHG) thank you for the real info. Vic I would have appreciated a better response and some real answers as opposed to "Some of us are less concerned about cost as long as quality is superior. Those are the people shopping for ADA tanks."

In my opion after owning only two ADA tanks, I think the first thing that comes to mind is really the name. ADA being known for their high quality build tanks really made me feel like i wanted the best. Once i got them, it really turned out to be a really great tnak with great quality in the build itself. You can barely see where the silicones are put and it has this "seamless" look to it. The glass itself is yes very low in iron and great quality.

It really comes down to what you believe is an important factor to your setup. If you're deciding to use it as a showpiece and hold quality as a big issue, then ADA tanks can justify your cause. Otherwise, it depends on your budget.

hope this helps.

its like buying a tunze osmolator or an ATI powermodule,, you don't ever have to worry and think of all the other great things there are because thats the best it gets.

Crackerballer

Masami, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. My tank will be going either our theater room or the kitchen, so I may not need the ADA piece.

Please tell me where I said they were overpriced? I asked why people were paying for a more expensive tank.

So why didn't any of you just get the Mr. Aqua for 1/2 the price? Was it the clear silicone vs. the greenish on the Mr. Aqua, because that is the only difference.

It's not like you're trying to get opinions about whether or not you should buy one since you've already ordered the cheaper tank... I just call it like I see it.

Since you seem to be into home theaters, look at it like the difference between a budget 50" TV from Wal-Mart and a high end plasma of the same size.

Crackerballer
It's not like you're trying to get opinions about whether or not you should buy one since you've already ordered the cheaper tank... I just call it like I see it.

Since you seem to be into home theaters, look at it like the difference between a budget 50" TV from Wal-Mart and a high end plasma of the same size.

Yea, which requires researching, which is what I was doing in this thread. You made an incorrect assumption off of a post where I asked why people ordered the ADA over Mr. Aqua. Guess you missed the next couple of posts where I said I may order all 3 to compare.

And since you want to be a smart ass, Wal-Mart sells Vizio which uses LCD screens and internals of LG, just like Samsung. Also Vizio is the number one flat panel in the US, beating out Samsung. Maybe you would have been better to say a bargain brand LCD (Westinghouse) vs LG/Samsung?

I'm done with the ####### match. You misinterpreted several posts of mine asking for info, yet others understood and provided helpful and appropriate feedback. Thanks to everyone who gave me the good information.

Well I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your intentions. I wasn't the only one who did.

Your tank looks so pristine schg, I wish I could keep mine half that algae free.

Well I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your intentions. I wasn't the only one who did.

Your tank looks so pristine schg, I wish I could keep mine half that algae free.

It was pretty much already cycled when I started it since I transferred, and I clean the glass almost every day because I'm OCD. It's not hard for me to get motivation to do stuff on this tank because it's so small lol.