ReefCleaners.org

(current solana system or new jbj aquarium) Which one?

fishyj

Hi all, I've been out of saltwater for 5 years now and I want to get back into it again. I am looking at the new jbj aquarium or the current solana system. Which one would be better? Does anyone own one of these and if so can you tell me the pro's and cons of each. I live in the midwest so I don't think I need a chiller. I found these in a catalog from thatpetplace.com. Prices range from $800 down to $660 with stands. I do want to have a few small fish and many different types of corals. These prices are for the HQI lighting. They do offer one in the jbl for $300 in 105 watt power compact lighting. Would that one be enough lighting for lets say clams and stoney corals or do I need the HQI lighting. The Solana is 34 gallons versus the JBJ 28 gallons. The all in ones are somewhat confusing to me, since my last tank was a 75. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jasonincuritiba

I have had both the Solana and the JBJ 28g HQI. The JBJ runs hot due to the confined setup so you will need a chiller, it ran about 82F with room temp being 70F, so I ran a chiller (almost nonstop when the lights were on). The Solana's pendant design helps it stay cool, I never had a problem with high temps. The stock skimmer is better on the Solana (functional) than the JBJ (useless).

So between the two I would go with the Solana, it is pretty well built. The only problem I had was I ran it open top and lost some prized fish due to jumping, but it does come with a glass lid.

I have the Current Solana and so far it is one of the best all in ones i have seen. The pendant is a great look and would be powerful enough for clams and stony corals. Power compacts generally are not powerful enough for either. i have been topless on mine and have lost a blue spot jawfish so i would recommend using the glass top.

You could also look at a JBJ LED lighting. It won't have the heat issues, should have plently of light to for just about anything, uses far less power and you won't need to replace lights for years and its probably around the same price as the Solana.

If nothing else, it will save you a lot of money over time.

I am just starting up a Solana and have had a BioCube 14 (not a JBJ, but virtually the same idea) for a couple years. Both have strong virtues, although I can only speak first hand about the BioCube. The PCs were replaced by a DIY LED setup that is really impressive. My Solana will also have LEDs. The Solana is far more sophisticated in appearance and looks like furniture. Assuming you get the lighting right, I don't think you can go wrong either way, just pick what fits your space best.

+ 1 on the Solana.

I am not sure where you are looking. I got my Solana, Stand, and MH light at my LFS for $650 new. All the other LFS have them for $800 to $900. you may want to look around at the LFS and see if you can save some money.

+2 on the Solana- clean looking - nice tank- I have a Sunpod on mine and the temp is never a problem- looks sophisticated for living room bedroom or family room- no regrets on this tank

Archived