Pod Your Reef

12g and 28g Nano-Cube – Upgraded Media Basket

urbaneks

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this looks like one of the best made media baskets out there!

great work!

if my back chamber wasn't full of rock and rubble I'd get one in an instant!

Brad, I just wanted to update you, I love the new basket, (I have the V1), My Nano Cube is running clear as a bell, and is well into its initial cycle... I am running floss in the first, carbon in the second and ceramic blocks in the third...

The new basket is so much nicer than the one that came with my cube...

Thanks Brad, I will keep you informed as things progress...

Thomas

Looking great, glad to see everything is coming along.

For an update, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE MEDIA BASKET!!! If you can get your flow just right, it filters out so much crap. I found out i have the new version with the smaller top. I'm actually considering growing cheto now, seeing I have all this free space. This is a great product and a must buy for the NC28.

Brad, I just wanted to update you, I love the new basket, (I have the V1), My Nano Cube is running clear as a bell, and is well into its initial cycle... I am running floss in the first, carbon in the second and ceramic blocks in the third...

The new basket is so much nicer than the one that came with my cube...

Thanks Brad, I will keep you informed as things progress...

Thomas

Thomas, Thanks for the kudos on the basket. Glad the mod is working out for you. Brad

Looking great, glad to see everything is coming along.

For an update, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE MEDIA BASKET!!! If you can get your flow just right, it filters out so much crap. I found out i have the new version with the smaller top. I'm actually considering growing cheto now, seeing I have all this free space. This is a great product and a must buy for the NC28.

Racerfreak, Thanks for your comments. Glad this mod is working for you as well!

saltwaternoob

wow urbaneks

you have really created a great product!

im totally satisfied with the product itself and the advice you have shared with me!

ill be sure to keep you updated with my tank status,

and to all yall people out there with nano cubes

this upgraded media basket is def. a must buy!

purenano.bmp

wow urbaneks

you have really created a great product!

im totally satisfied with the product itself and the advice you have shared with me!

ill be sure to keep you updated with my tank status,

and to all yall people out there with nano cubes

this upgraded media basket is def. a must buy!

Glad the upgrade is also working great for you.

Midnightsun

Well I finally got my tank , media basket and the whole shooting match as I went to my brothers house in the States and picked everything up. Nice product but you need to use a little more glue on the 2 top tabs as one broke off taking it out of the wrapping and the other pulled off with very little effort when I tried to lift the media basket out from the aquarium. I really did not pull very hard at all. Bummer is now I need to find a place where they sell acrylic glue near me.

Well I finally got my tank , media basket and the whole shooting match as I went to my brothers house in the States and picked everything up. Nice product but you need to use a little more glue on the 2 top tabs as one broke off taking it out of the wrapping and the other pulled off with very little effort when I tried to lift the media basket out from the aquarium. I really did not pull very hard at all. Bummer is now I need to find a place where they sell acrylic glue near me.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I've had one other person have the same issue so I am spending additional time when welding this section of the basket along with adding a reinformcent here. I just sent you a PM on a repair/replacement process.

Does anyone have any experience with the magnet chaeto chamber LED and the media basket atm? I'd like to know if they DO fit well before I jump on the bandwagon...

Hi Arioch,

I use Urbanek's media basket with the JBJ nano-glo LED light. I turned the light 90 degrees and placed the magnet in the second chamber, instead of the main chamber, to make the light fit. The light shines in the same area as it did before, so it worked out perfectly.

I highly recommend this media basket. With the old stock basket, I wasn't able to fit chemi pure and would have to trim the cheato more frequently due to overgrowth. Urbanek's basket comfortably fits chemi pure and has more room for cheato to grow.

C

Does anyone have any experience with the magnet chaeto chamber LED and the media basket atm? I'd like to know if they DO fit well before I jump on the bandwagon...
bfruacikned

I did the same thing, have the magnet for the refugium light in the skimmer column. At first I was a bit concerned about the open sides of the media basket, i thought this would let the water run out the sides and not actually flow to the bottom chamber but it seems not to be an issue, chaeto in middle and bottom chambers are rocking, sometimes I have noticed it might let a very short length strand of chaeto escape into the tank but have only seen that 2 times in like 2 weeks. Out of curiosity, could a person wrap the media basket in saran wrap to seal up the sides or would that leach something into the water? doesn't seem to be enough of an issue to mess with it really. Thanks for a great basket!

So with the Nano-Glo turned sideways, can you take the basket in and out without messing with the magnet or do you have to take the magnet off to take the basket out?

On the side coverage, perhaps it would make sense to make this thing three sided, so there is one open side instead of two? While it wont force all the water downward, seem like it would be easier to control the media if you can stuff it against one side at least.

So with the Nano-Glo turned sideways, can you take the basket in and out without messing with the magnet or do you have to take the magnet off to take the basket out?

On the side coverage, perhaps it would make sense to make this thing three sided, so there is one open side instead of two? While it wont force all the water downward, seem like it would be easier to control the media if you can stuff it against one side at least.

With the magnet in chamber 2 you do not have to remove it in order to take the basket out.

As for the side coverage, the media basket fits very snug against the side walls of the chamber. This forms the side walls. I don't have any issues controlling the media.

Do you sell one for the 24G Nano Cube?

^^ wondering the same thing also. I would be very interested in one.

See PM that I just sent.

Looks sharp-

were you having problems keeping the media in place without side walls?

Not at all, the way this fits in the center chamber, the sides of the center chamber become the sides of the media basket. This is also key in making the basket larger which allows the entire water column to be filtered.

Not at all, the way this fits in the center chamber, the sides of the center chamber become the sides of the media basket. This is also key in making the basket larger which allows the entire water column to be filtered.

Why does the new build have walls on all 4 sides?

:)

Why does the new build have walls on all 4 sides?

:)

It doesn't, must just look like it in the photo. It's open on the sides.

Archived