SaltCritters.com

12g and 28g Nano-Cube – Upgraded Media Basket

urbaneks

bps7772000

Can you do one for a Cadlights 12 gallon? I'm not sure if the chamber dimensions are the same or not. I've noticed much more floating particles lately despite water & filter changes and turkey basting.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to remove my Lid on my jbj 12g cube to use the media basket correct?

Chris

That is not correct, you can just lift the lid up to the top position and the 12g media basket will fit into chamber one.

shotgunlew
That is not correct, you can just lift the lid up to the top position and the 12g media basket will fit into chamber one.

Do you have a picture of it installed so I can check it out? I was also wondering the price on one for a jbj 12gDX.

Chris

Do you have a picture of it installed so I can check it out? I was also wondering the price on one for a jbj 12gDX.

Chris

Chris,

PM sent.

Brad

Well I received my updated Media Basket for my 28g Nano and it came fast within 2 days. First impression was very nice build and quality joints and cuts. This is the version with with a higher lip in the back and couldn't wait to install. I added my floss and Chem.Elite and it was much larger than the original. I did have to move my Chiller/Refugium hose above to get it in, but I do have a unique setup in the back. It slid right in and started working great. Exactly what I was looking for, I have high flow with a MP10 and Kor.1 up towards the top adding to the flow and it stopped and shot it through the media chambers....great!!!

Thanks for the change and good luck on more of these flying out. Here's some pics:

more

NanNewb, Glad that it's working out for you. Being the only one with the higher back wall, keep me posted on how that continues to work out for you. Based on the pic's, it looks like you have some serious flow in that tank.

interested in a one for a 12 gallon jbj dx, can you pm me with details and cost.

Thanks

PM Sent

• 2 weeks later...
clownfish14

just a quick question in the new raised back media basket wouldent the water in the tank just rise to the top of the back piece of the media basket? it seems that if you were to put the media in the basket the water would take the path of least risstance and just flow up and over making the water in the display run higher. right?

thanks

just a quick question in the new raised back media basket wouldent the water in the tank just rise to the top of the back piece of the media basket? it seems that if you were to put the media in the basket the water would take the path of least risstance and just flow up and over making the water in the display run higher. right?

thanks

No because the flow through the basket is strong enough to keep the water from rising that high.

clownfish14

what exactly do you mean by that? i would think that if you put chempure and filterfloss and cheato in there the water would just take the easiest path. ahh here we go look at the picks nannewb posted you can see the water rolling over the top. so wouldent that raise the level in the tank making the higher back usless?

A lot of the water rolling off the back is just because of the movement of the water. The water is coming in from the side, it's momentum is taking it off the back. Slow it down a bit and more will go down.

Just received my new media basket and I like what I am seeing. Even with the extra powerhead running I am getting zero overflow and everything hits the filter floss. I have been 'turkey basting' like crazy and watch as the debris enters the media chamber and sticks. Love it! I have alot of rock debris right now so i am guessing it will take quite a few times through this before it is cleared up to my liking. Keep up the great work, and if you dont have a Pure Nano yet you should definitley consider one.

Thanks again Brad!

Irshhooligan

Wow...this is a great product. I am very impressed with the fit and finish. It fits perfectly in the center chamber, with a nice snug fit. Everything is assembled perfectly. I recommend this to anyone with a Nanocube 28. The higher back wall to the new version works great.

Wow...this is a great product. I am very impressed with the fit and finish. It fits perfectly in the center chamber, with a nice snug fit. Everything is assembled perfectly. I recommend this to anyone with a Nanocube 28. The higher back wall to the new version works great.

Outstanding! Very glad that it's working out for you.

The NC12 media basket should use with or without surface skimmer ?

surface%20skimmer%20mss%206%20gal.jpg

There is no need for this surface skimmer.

How do you surface skim without it?

The 12g DX has a surface skimmer built in. There is not reason to add a separate one.

That was the surface skimmer came with my 12G DX! should I take it out to get the best result with media basket? I am so excited to get my media basket :)

That was the surface skimmer came with my 12G DX! should I take it out to get the best result with media basket? I am so excited to get my media basket :)

Sorry, I did not understand your question. The surface skimmer that came on the tank should remain on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been mulling this filter over and over in my head and not to offend anyone but I see a major flaw in the filter. If the sides are open, no matter how tight the fit between walls, water is going to take the path of least resistance and instead of being forced through the filter medias in chamber 2 and 3 it will just pass out the open sides and bypass the filter media carbon, purigen, etc. Yes it might pass a very small portion through the medias but not enough to effectively filter the water.

The really bad part is, you never really know how much water is actually passing through the media as it is always submerged.

The stock filter is enclosed on all four sides forcing the water through the media. This looks like a great design if it could be built with all four sides enclosed. I am in the process of setting up a new 28 LED tank and I will be building my own filter box for the middle chamber but I will try to do it more like the stock filter with four sides. I think I can build it so it is solid on the front,back and one side and have one side slide open for media insertion, cleaning and cheato trimming.

Hats off to Urbaneks for the design and his hard work. I think the basket can be built so if the medias prevent water from flowing through that the water will overflow the top so as to not let the water level in the other compartments drop, this will also alert the owner that the media is stopping up. I am by no mean an expert at this and if anyone can see problems with my thoughts, please feel free to let me know if you think I'm crazy or it might be a good idea. Like I said, I'm not bashing the existing media basket, just wondering if it can be made more efficient.

One other note, by building the basket this way, it could be another 3" or so deeper to allow for a fourth compartment for say live rock rubble to help house more critters! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived