Pod Your Reef

biOrb Jellyfish tank

bfleming0009

is the base removeable from the orb? iff so you could easily hide the heat tape like used for reptile cages on the bottom of the orb and then use a temp controller to turn it on and off and you could hid the temp controller sensor in the bubble tube im betting.

there was a member on this forum who recently used reptile heat tape stuff for his small pico tank with great results

The bubble tube & filter chamber is removable - but it would probably be difficult to route anything thru the bubble tube, down thru the filter chamber and into the base of tank the way all the components come together and lock into the bottom of the tank.

My guess is that since the heater is smooth and has all rounded corners it wont present much of a risk to the jellies. The biggest risk seems to be air bubbles and the extremely course rock that comes with the BiOrb.

Will let you know what feedback I get from jellyfistart.com

-Bryan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For everyone who is patiently awaiting for the jellyfish to arrive.... The going plan is to let the tank continue to cycle this week. Will probably purchase the jellies next Monday 2/22 receiving them overnight. So hopefully a week from today i'll be posting pictures of my new roommates :-D

We are still trying to select a supplier for the jellyfish. The top of the list is jellyfishart.com who we've been in email contact with concerning this project. I've also spoken with a local fish supplier to see if they are able to order them with their normal incoming supply to save me some money on shipping.

-Bryan

Looks good. I'll try to get you a measurement tomorrow on our bubble tube. As I said in a previous post we just stuck a turkey baster tube that was cut down to the desired length in the end of our bubble tube... It's not the most elegant solution but it works & honestly to the casual observer you can barely tell it's been modified.

thanks man, and no rush. I'm just going to move forward, and if it bothers me down the road, then I'll worry about it. I've still got time, plus your solution looks good to me.

I think I'm just nitpicking the details because I'm excited lol.

looking forward to your feedback from jellyfishart.

I wonder if we could make these (or something similar) work with our biorbs.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11946

It's got less watts than the stock halogen so I think we're safe.

maybe jellyfishart can comment since I'm sure they've played with the idea.

and I'll ask a few electronic gurus that I know. (and lurk the lighting forum)

otherwise an external lamp with a color-changing led bulb will be a must!

I wonder if we could make these (or something similar) work with our biorbs.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11946

It's got less watts than the stock halogen so I think we're safe.

maybe jellyfishart can comment since I'm sure they've played with the idea.

and I'll ask a few electronic gurus that I know. (and lurk the lighting forum)

otherwise an external lamp with a color-changing led bulb will be a must!

Ooooo yeah that looks cool... I've been thinking about the same thing. I figure once I get the jellies settled in i'll start looking at other lighting options. Let me know what you find out.

thanks for keeping us posted. did you try home depot for the bubble extender?

The folks at Jellyfish art are sending us a new modded one. I am still unclear what the difference between them are but they are helping us out with the tube.

good to hear! I'm sure the modded biocube means a longer bubble tube and possibly reduced/increased flow (whichever would be needed) as I don't see much else you could do to the tank

cool! try to take a quick measurement of that new tube if you can. I'll also check out the hardware store in a few days while I'm picking up some buckets. hopefully I'll have the tank rinsed out tonight, and start cycling within the next few days.

as for lights, I found a few more. when I get some time I'll try to measure the dimensions of the socket to make sure they'll fit. going to hang out with some electronic gurus tonight so I'll ask them about using these lower watt bulbs. I don't suspect it'll be a problem.

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/remote-contr...1x5w-p-125.html

http://www.uxsight.com/product/7157/mr16-r...t-bulb-12v.html

also, I had an idea for the heater/heat tape. I wonder if I could put some heat tape under the substrate, then use aquarium sealant to run the wire up the aquarium wall. making a somewhat smooth "molding-like" solution, or even just dabs to hold it to the tank wall. Of course it'll be a pain should I need to replace the heater down the road. but I'm just throwing out ideas. Mustang boy, it'd be great if you could find the other thread where they used heat tape. but I'll most likely just go with a regular tube heater since I'm not terribly worried about it posing a problem. plus it'll be easier :P

oh good to hear! they should have you up and running. It is probably built to fit seamlessly, not just as an extender.

We will be placing an order for Blue Jellyfish today or tomorrow so we will have some new pics soon. Lord help us haha. We will soon find out for everyone if this is worth doing or if we have have a nice new goldfish bowl lol.

So... On the eve of purchasing the jellies here's a breakdown of cost so far:

$197.50 for the 16g biOrb tank

$50 in gems for the bottom of the tank

$35 heater

$239 for 4 2in blue jellyfish from jellyfishart.com (haven't ordered yet)... It's $156 for the jellies and $79 for shipping.

----------------------

$521 total so far, probably +/- $60 in other stuff i'm not thinking about.

The plan is to order an additional 4 jellies once these are doing well. So... that will bring the project to around $760 with 8 jellyfish.

So... On the eve of purchasing the jellies here's a breakdown of cost so far:

$197.50 for the 16g biOrb tank

$50 in gems for the bottom of the tank

$35 heater

$239 for 4 2in blue jellyfish from jellyfishart.com (haven't ordered yet)... It's $156 for the jellies and $79 for shipping.

----------------------

$521 total so far, probably +/- $60 in other stuff i'm not thinking about.

The plan is to order an additional 4 jellies once these are doing well. So... that will bring the project to around $760 with 8 jellyfish.

Why not order from your lfs. I've seen mine have a few moon jellyfish (if thats what your after, I have not read all of this thread) for like $29.99.

dayum. thats getting spensive. i thought the biorb kit from jellyfishart.com came with some jellies? seems to have been worth the extra $50

I am totally following this one! I love jellies. they are so cool lookin but I would never try to have one in a tank! LOL good luck. Hope they make it.

wow!!!!! I need to get into the fake gem business....

no kidding! they're pretty damn proud of those gems.

added a few damsels to my biube yesterday. I'm looking forward to your progress fellas!

any jellies yet?

Well before we ordered a LFS had one so we are right now in the process of slow dripping him / it into the tank. We want to make sure it lives before we do a big order.

02260014232.jpg

Better pics soon.

dayum. thats getting spensive. i thought the biorb kit from jellyfishart.com came with some jellies? seems to have been worth the extra $50

Well the orb on the site is 8 gallon. We did the larger 16 gallon, there is a lot of filter material to cover. Yeah yay 50 bucks in glass beads.

Hmm so can I try to keep any jelly fish I find ?

Sometimes I see them, usually after they sting me.

I'd like to try one sometime for the heck of it.

They are somewhat rare out here,

man of war are more common.

Archived